Notices

Let it wash over you...

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let it wash over you...

When slight 'niggles' in your mind try to whisper to you, then just let it ride and don't give them any power by thinking about them. Just remember why you're sober and in recovery and keep your thinking firmly in the present and keep moving forwards positively. There is a very good reason as to why you're sober and clean. Because the other way just doesn't work out. It just equals pain, sorrow and unhappines.

Peace.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good point, Neo!

I used to think that I was controlled by my emotions and that I just had to go with the flow. I learned that emotions are not me, they are just emotions. I can recognize them and let them go.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post Neo! Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks NEO! We can't prevent thoughts/emotions from coming to us, but we don't have to dwell on them and let them beat us. I used to run on emotions too, Anna, and am rather compulsive. But they do change like the wind and sometimes all we have to do is wait (and get a good night's sleep or a bite to eat). Thanks for the post!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trying to heed my own advice today!!

Man it's a real f*ckin mental thing when the old mind goes off on one. Anxiety and the racing thoughts being projected left right and centre!! LOL.

I am starting to try to pinpoint what caused it, though it is an accumulation of different things. Being stuck in the same crappy call centre all day Saturday doesn't help. But it's a means to an end.

I don't like feeling off balance and full of anxiety and when my mind gets so closed in and tunnel visioned.

Chilling out now though listening to my latest drug - Bon Scott era AC/DC. What a legend.

The kind of good thing about having a bit of a head f*ck moment is that the upside of gratitude and all that is a great hit I always find once I have restored my balance.

peace
Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

can relate to all that neo..and agree,for me, the weekends seem to be worst for this kind of thing,off balance,racing thoughts/mind, gratification seeking mind..had a bit of that today craving sugar..any stimulant that was not alcohol, just that little empty void feeling, low ebb..of a lead to trigger feeling,like was saying before weekdays are easier to deal with, weekends needing to stay well on the ball, and fully aware of things, especially after only a few months in, though on a steady course,ridin a bit of turbulance, like many here,though holdin firm..thanks again for the post and reminder.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice turn of phrase Neo... to let those thoughts wash over you. As Artsoul says, you can't prevent those thoughts surfing the waves of your consciousness, but when they arrive, and they sure do, I allow them in and just observe them. I see them transform into colorful helium balloons that drift skywards and pop. When that happens, the thoughts lose their power... they get lost in the sky of sobriety