Helpful hints/examples of love letter to addict

Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helpful hints/examples of love letter to addict

Last night my family went to see an interventionist for my father-in-law. He went to treatment for 100 days in mississippi Nov-Feb, primarily for sexual addiction, but is now also using, and most likely dealing, cocaine.

The interventionist was helpful and we are planning on meeting with my father-in-law on Sat. Before then we are to write a "love letter." She sent us a few examples (2 which were each only about a paragraph), but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or examples to get me started?

Thank you!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would stick with how they do it on intervention....

Your addiction has affected me in the following ways...........

I will no longer enable your addiction by.................

Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Fatherinlaw, We love you very much. We can't imagine our lives if you were dead or in jail. We are so worried about you. Your addiction has affected me and our family in the following ways. Here are some words that you might want to use, while adding your own words to make a sentence. Trust, Respect,Consideration, Frightened,Angry,Hurt,Dangerous. URMYeverything seemed to hit it on the head. That's also a great way to start. Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When we did the intervention for our son, we spoke from our hearts. We addressed how his addiction affected us, we addressed how we are going to change our behavior (by no longer enabling), and we provided a bottom line. The bottom line was the tough part for me.......it is what I will need to do for MYSELF if you continue to use.