the guilt trip

Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the guilt trip

so my alcoholic/pill addict/crack smoking mom got out of jail 2 weeks ago, violated probation for stealing from work and breaking into my house. Pee test came up dirty with crack, that "she only smoked once". Anyway, I think she expected everyone to be waiting with open arms, for me it's 4 years later (4 years of parting til she screwed herself, the last 14 months spen in jail), I have in a sense kind of moved on, I still love her, but my husband does not and doesn't want her around out son, sober or not. So she and I have been talking on FB, as it's a neutral playground, howver she's telling my friends I won't talk to her and she's ok with that, blah, blah, I told her to stop making herself out to the be the vicitm and she did this, I did not ask for the situation we are in. But with time and patience we an try to get back to where we were. I got the same old, no one let's me forget my mistakes and I am better know than I have ever been, and I won't talk to your friends about our relationship. Is this typical to give the guilt trip?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course it's standard. You're refusing the play the role she scripted for you, so she's doing everything she can to make you out to be the bad guy, so you'll fall back in line as the loving daughter she can exploit and use.

Whenever the guilt trip comes up, I'm just ITCHING to say "Oh wow, can you hear that? It's the world SMALLEST VIOLIN and it's playing for you"....

I think your husband is wise to want to keep such a toxic person away from your son.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Is this typical to give the guilt trip?
Yup.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks!!

It these times that I think am I crazy?!?!?!!? for not being there 100%, I had to remind her of the crap we've been through, & it took 4 years to get this point, it's going to take time to get back to the family again. I feel like the rope of a tug of way game.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Start refusing to be the rope.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate your responses more than you can imagine!!! Being in an addiction filled family, it's so hard to get unbiased advice, and it's very important for me to hear that m husbands protecting my son is the right thing to do, however difficult it is for me. thank you!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suggest you read the stickies at the top of this forum....perhaps start with classic reading