Notices

Daily Suit of Armour...

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Suit of Armour...

Just got back from Town and doing a bit of shopping. Bought a couple of new albums that I wanted, bit of food shopping and clothes shopping.

As I was walking round town then I couldn't help but smile to myself. I was thinking how great it is that I have a daily reprieve from my alcoholism. Like I feel so strong because I know that. Also I cannot help but feel happy that I feel much more comfortable in my skin when out and about. It is something that I have had to work on and continue to strive for. My problems were all in my own head. It's great to feel like I ain't carrying a millstone around my neck anymore. I carried that for years and it nearly killed me.

I guess I am just feeling happy. It's a feeling that I could never really notice before as I always used to think of happy as being high off booze and drugs. Or if I was feeling good then I would not accept it for what it was as I would always want to increase it by getting hammered.

I am finding with much of my recovery now that it feels like a big weight is gently being removed off my shoulders 'one day as a time'. Obviously some days aren't as good as others but I accept them and do the work I need to do to get back feeling in 'balance'.

This is just a message of hope really. It is a process which cannot be rushed, certainly with my situation anyway. It is a healing process which takes as long as it takes. I am just enjoying my day off and I really love SR and often hold little gems of wisdom that I pick up from here as I am going about my day.

I guess it's also great being in the supermarket and not caring that the alcohol is literally stacked to the ceiling with cheap deals. When I see them then I just immediately think... 'Not for this alcoholic'.

Peace.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great post amigo....

you know how i feel on this issue.

had the same mini-epiphany that i have daily last night.

i had left baseball practice.....got on the interstate with the windows down....music blasting and a gorgeous sunset to my left and all i could think was 'i am a happy, happy man right now'
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post Neo. It is important for all of us to read things like this. It let's all of us know that there is a better life to live after alcohol or any other substance abuse.

Harry
Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for that post man, I have the same feeling now. Its been awesome to finally discover that I really am happy. I notice it at so many different times to. It can be when I am doing something simple like looking at the scenery while sitting a table in the city or driving through the country. I get it when I walk into meetings at work now and smile and talk to people rather than grumble about all the negative things I used to have on my mind.

I feel a lot more confident, but really more stable too. Just level and calm. My closest freinds have told me they are getting to know me all over again, and that I finally seem at peace with myself, and the world too.

I also can understand what your saying when seeing alcohol in the stores. I look at it now and say nah, not for me anymore. There was a day early in my sobriety where it scared the heck out of me. Now, I have the tools to look past it.

Sobriety is an awesomething! And, it keeps on getting better. The best part is continuing to realize that every day.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I love it that you guys are happy. I am happy as well. I was able to have a wonderful conversation with my daughter, and also wake up hangover free. What more can I ask for?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post, NEO, as usual! I don't think we have any clue when we're drinking just how much living we missed out on everyday. It's the little things, too, just like everyone said: driving down the highway seeing a sunset, talking to your daughter, or spending a little of that (formerly used for alcohol) cash on a new album and some food.

Here's to sobriety!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good post Neo..such helpfull insight and observation..that can only but re,enforce our strenghts in getting and staying with the day,an being strong in the moments of sway.
thanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amazing post Neo! This totally rocked my attitude today. Thanks for the good stuff!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Just got back from Town and doing a bit of shopping. Bought a couple of new albums that I wanted, bit of food shopping and clothes shopping.

As I was walking round town then I couldn't help but smile to myself. I was thinking how great it is that I have a daily reprieve from my alcoholism. Like I feel so strong because I know that. Also I cannot help but feel happy that I feel much more comfortable in my skin when out and about. It is something that I have had to work on and continue to strive for. My problems were all in my own head. It's great to feel like I ain't carrying a millstone around my neck anymore. I carried that for years and it nearly killed me.

I guess I am just feeling happy. It's a feeling that I could never really notice before as I always used to think of happy as being high off booze and drugs. Or if I was feeling good then I would not accept it for what it was as I would always want to increase it by getting hammered.

I am finding with much of my recovery now that it feels like a big weight is gently being removed off my shoulders 'one day as a time'. Obviously some days aren't as good as others but I accept them and do the work I need to do to get back feeling in 'balance'.

This is just a message of hope really. It is a process which cannot be rushed, certainly with my situation anyway. It is a healing process which takes as long as it takes. I am just enjoying my day off and I really love SR and often hold little gems of wisdom that I pick up from here as I am going about my day.

I guess it's also great being in the supermarket and not caring that the alcohol is literally stacked to the ceiling with cheap deals. When I see them then I just immediately think... 'Not for this alcoholic'.

Peace.
So you're saying you can have a normal day without chemical stimulants? Crazy talk, that is.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Neo, Awesome post! I've read a couple of positive posts about life tonight. Feels good. Thanks, SS