Notices

Reset

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reset

Yesterday. Stressed. Started very early on a long day. Had to attend work-related social event at 4pm with boss and co-worker and lots of industry people (a situation I do not enjoy much). Arrived early. Boss purchased bottle of wine to pass the time and ease the stressful day. Had two glasses. Stopped.

Stopping wasn't so much the hard part, as I had more work to do after the event. It was the not getting a bottle of wine to take home after work to finish the job the two glasses started (I resisted, but it wasn't fun).

Slept terribly, despite not really feeling the effects of the alcohol. Back to Day 1, after 30 days alcohol-free. Oh, hubris.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Well at least you are back on day 1 and not off on one for goodness knows how long. Well done for posting - keep at it!

Stu.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us had false starts Larkspur.

It's difficult to be different, its difficult to say no, and it's difficult to deal with things like stress without resorting to old ways...but it is worth it

Glad you're back on the right track
D
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped at two and didn't go get that bottle.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like the 'reset' expression... Good you did not let yourself to switch off completely.
And you do not have a hangover to nurse today whcih will certainly make it easier!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. I guess those 'two glasses' didn't really relieve your stress then? Next time just say no. I know for me all two glasses of wine would do to me is totally annoy me. I would be agitated and I know I would be itching to go and get the job done properly and finished. I wouldn't turn into work the next day and would be either holed up in bed drinking all day or at some random persons flat doing drugs and drinking all day.

For me I realised that with booze there was never a "plateau" where I felt at peace. Unlike any other drug I ever took. For me with booze I was only ever feeling as good as how many more drinks I had waiting to be nailed.

Nice one for not getting that booze on the way home. That took some serious strength.

All The best
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi hun,

Bugger, I know how you feel, let me guess, let down, wishing like hell you never had the two glasses, but lets look at the positives, you stopped at two well done, that is an achievement in itself.

Dont think that because you had the two glasses that you have blown the whole thing you have'nt, the same as we wouldnt blow our whole diet through two pieces of chocolate cake.

Keep strong and dont focus on the two glasses yesterday, focus on the 30 days alcohol free days instead and ignore that one day this time.

Thinking about you

God bless
Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Neomarxist...Hope you do not mind this post, but you always make me smile when you speak about how very seriously you took the business of getting high! With that kind of determination your sobriety can only be a perfect success...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(( HUGS )) Lark.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe think of this situation as a learning experience and not a slip up. Those 2 glasses of wine did nothing for you. NOW YOU KNOW! Hold your head up and carry on the good fight.
You don't have to wonder anymore. A blessing in disguise :ghug3

Best Wishes To You
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So good to remember that we are not perfect and therefore should not dwell on the negatives. 30 days sober is amazing (I am 1 day behind you). Love the chocolate cake analogy...one slip does not mean your whole diet is blown!!!

Stopping after 2 glasses was a triumph...you did 30 before and you can do them again!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Wow, awesome job, first on stopping after 2 glasses, then the biggest achievement ever, not stopping on the way home. I don't know if I could've done either at this point. This "setback" has helped you realize the true meaning of just not drinking. You rock!