Notices

Strategy Question

Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strategy Question

How do you guys feel about the use of non-alcoholic beers to "keep the hands busy" or help get through cravings? Does anyone drink these things or are they a little to close to the line to drink them without triggering relapse?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This question comes up often around here. It's been argued to death. Most here seem to think it's a little too close to romancing the real thing. Others drink NA without any problems. It's all a matter of choice and depends on the individual person.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it depends a little what you drank when you were drinking...I was a wine drinker so the NA wines 1) don't do it for me, and 2) are a little to close to what I used to poison myself with.

However, I enjoy mocktails quite a bit.

Last note...most NA beers have alcohol in them.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had never really thought about it but I guess the presence of alcohol, even in trace amounts, could be problematic. The thing with me is that I don't like soft drinks (which is probably a good thing) and sometimes water just doesn't cut it. I'm not really looking to push the envelope right now though. I just thought I'd see what you guys thought.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How about Arnold Palmers? They are good:-)
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
How about Arnold Palmers? They are good:-)
What are they??
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Half iced tea, half lemonade... I grew up on them, but we called it a half & half. Apparently the golfer Arnold Palmer liked them so much they named it after him.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Too close to the real deal for me...and it's as expensive or in some cases more expensive as the real deal. I like to drink La Croix, which is just carbonated water with natural lemon flavor...and a 12 pack (hate to even say that!) is only 'bout 4 bucks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

^^^^ iced tea / lemonade.

NA beer gets some occasional debate around here. I don't know what the split is but I'm pretty firmly on the "drink the real stuff" if you're going to drink NA beer. I know me, I'd probably be trying to pound down 40 of em in no time. To me, it's playing with fire but to each his/her own. Many don't use mouthwash or anything that has any alcohol in it... I use Listerine all the time with no impunity.

Search your heart......you already know if it's ok for you or not.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right now, I prefer not to drink anything that resembles alcohol that much. So NA beer, wine, or anything like that would be a no-no for me at this time.

One exception is virgin fruity drinks (like a virgin strawberry daiquiri)... those are ok for me. They don't trigger cravings for the "real thing", since I never drank the alcoholic versions. I was a wine drinker primarily.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

My understanding is that most NA beers and wines have alcohol in them. So if you have a few, you might be having the equivalent of a half a "real" beer. Is that enough to set things in motion? I know a guy who was drinking a case of NA beers. Cause he "liked the taste."

Putting that to the side, I think I'd need to look at my motives for drinking something that tastes the same as the thing that kicked my ass.

I'm a big fan of tonic water and lime (I was never an alcohol and tonic drinker). Tomato juice is a nice change (and actually healthy). Poland spring makes some nice flavored bottled waters.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was in the local Publix Supermarket today and noticed there were at least 6 different brands of NA beer, foreign like Beck,St Pauli,Buckner,Clausthauer and domestics O'Douls,Coors.

There are some giant companies in that mix that feel that there is a large enough niche market to make some hefty profits.Obviously Americans are drinking the stuff.A few years ago O'Doul's was about all you could find on the shelf.

I've tried a few and haven't had any urges to go back to the real thing.You'd have to drink 12 or 13 to equate one legit Bud. No way,IMO,should they pose a problem for most folks.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the point is some of us here may not drink 12 or 13.

When I was 'moderating' with NA beer, I'd drink 2 or 3, then think 'hang this, I may as well drink the real stuff'.

Nowadays, as an ex beer drinker, I reckon I have no business drinking something that looks smells and tastes like beer.

There's something perverse in that for me.

I've stopped looking for loopholes
D
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

I also was thinking this.

I'm allergic to alcohol. I have an abnormal reaction to it: when I put it in me, I want more, and I can no longer predict what will happen. If you identify with that, than it follows that we don't know how much alcohol it takes to activate the allergy.

I mean, we don't say "Stay away from the first drink, unless it's a trace amount of alcohol found in a non-alcoholic beer."

So, given the consequences we face, maybe it makes sense to play it safe and believe that any alcohol can activate the allergy.