Notices

First post, day 1

Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, day 1

I've been coming to this forum for about a week or so, after thinking heavily about getting sober. I would like to thank everyone here for sharing their stories and advice, it's truly been an inspiration.

At the age of 29, I want to get sober for the first time in 4 years.

During the past 4 years I have drank heavily almost every day, and now I am really feeling the consequences both physically and mentally. I cannot continue on this path any longer, and decided today was the day. I am checking into an outpatient recovery program on Monday (earliest spot they had), but today is the day to stop.

I am also heavily considering AA, but one step at a time.

Again, thank you all for inspiring me to get better.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi FightingChance,

Welcome to SR! I am glad that you are here. You will find lots of support and caring compassion here.

And welcome to the beginning of the recovery journey. Buckle up, it's quite a ride. It's also the beginning of new hope and new possibilities.

Keep reaching out!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks BrokenChains! I am now ready for the battle, and feel positive about it. I only hope that positivity remains.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, FightingChance - great name! It's not easy to admit our problem and ask for help. That takes courage, so give yourself alot of credit. It's great that you're going to do outpatient treatment. The more support we have the better.

I'm glad you're here, too. I find this site to be the most helpful to me right now because it's just a click or two away and available around the clock. Now I have no excuse to for not getting support when I need it.

Keep focused and take it a day at a time. This is your thread, so post as much as you want. You're not alone anymore!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations on a great decision!

Yes, it is quite a ride, but it is so worth it. We are here to support you, so just hang around and read and post a lot. There will always be someone here to help. If there's one thing we have plenty of here, it is opinions, but even more than that, we have a great deal of experience, strength and hope! Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

another backer here fightingchance! Only Day 2 for me and w/o this place to come to I would be feeling very alone.

Welcome
Kimberly
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the feedback! You have no idea how much it means to me.

trailrunrbyday,

I congratulate you on two days, that's awesome! I hope to be there tomorrow!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, FightingChance,

I don't know exactly how I found this site some 4 months ago, but it has been such an incredible source of inspiration and knowledge for my recovery.

Great to hear about your outpatient recovery program starting Mon. !
Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck on the path you have decided to take. I am excited to hear about your accomplishments.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, FightingChance.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome FightingChance

D
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FightingChance!

I was where you are at on July 13th and can feel your pain. I went through some major w/d's but I hung in there the first couple of days glued to this forum getting continued support to get me through my pukey feeling inside.

You are fortunate to have a treatment program available to help you get over this hurdle.

Trust me, it will get better and you will feel like a new person after drying out. You're young and making the best decision of your life today.

Keep reading and keep posting here! You'll do just fine. :ghug3
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do you have insurance for that? I'd love to go into a program, but i cant afford it. No help for the poor i guess.....

I can't find any free programs. Anybody know of any?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Welcome, FightingChance.

Know this: you've already done more for your recovery than most alcoholics do, because most of us never get past denial.

You, though, are willing to consider the reality of your relationship with alcohol, and I can't tell you how huge that is. One word you will hear time and time again in recovery is willingness-- it's the ledge we build our truth on.

Identify with us. Read the stories, and look for the similarities-- not in the consequences but in the insane thought-processes, the promises made and broken, the unmanageable lives. The thread is there, and if you follow it, you may just find your own story at the end.

This fellowship of drunks is here for you, already willing to do for you that which your best friend might not. Just try us.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all again for the amazing words! I'm hoping to get support here, and hopefully give some support as well.

IrishEyes,

Thankfully my insurance covers it, I am very fortunate in that sense. I would look to treatment facilities in your area, many times they will work with you on financial arrangements. They key, I think, is to just get out there and start asking. Best wishes to you!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobertHugh View Post
Welcome, FightingChance.

Know this: you've already done more for your recovery than most alcoholics do, because most of us never get past denial.

You, though, are willing to consider the reality of your relationship with alcohol, and I can't tell you how huge that is. One word you will hear time and time again in recovery is willingness-- it's the ledge we build our truth on.

Identify with us. Read the stories, and look for the similarities-- not in the consequences but in the insane thought-processes, the promises made and broken, the unmanageable lives. The thread is there, and if you follow it, you may just find your own story at the end.

This fellowship of drunks is here for you, already willing to do for you that which your best friend might not. Just try us.
I just had to quote this, as it gives me great faith. Thank you, Robert.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Half way through day 2. Heart no longer racing, but head feels a bit "full". Still, seem to be on the mend. Looking to get past 48 hours.

*edit

I know I don't get credit for half a day, just kind of keeping a log here.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
Do you have insurance for that? I'd love to go into a program, but i cant afford it. No help for the poor i guess.....

I can't find any free programs. Anybody know of any?
Irisheyes, where do you come from. Try looking for a detox in your area and maybe even a half-way-house.

I live in Massachusetts and they hve them here, but they are state ran places. Hopefully you find what you need.

Harry
Old 08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

As far as I'm concerned FightingChance, you absolutely DO get credit for 1/2 day.. Welcome, prepare your mind for the journey, and good luck. xoxo
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

FC.....Congratulations on beginning your journey
Welcome to our recovery community....

Drink a lot of water...it helps flush out the toxins
AA? been an awesome adventure for me...