drug problem?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drug problem?

Hi everyone. This is first I've reached out to a forum. I'm worried about my brother. He was always kind of a weird guy, quiet and a little quirky, but I'm wondering if he's messed himself up with drug use. He's failing out of school again. It's been like 3 colleges now. Fails out every time. Fights with all of us in the family. But what's really weird is that his head seems messed up. You can ask him a question and he'll look at you weird and then give an answer that's from outer space. He talks a lot, but not a lot of it makes sense. He misses connections, it seems. This isn't how he always was. Plus, he gets really intense sometimes at odd moments and doesn't always seem to understand what you're talking about. I realize that I'm going to have to straight up ask him sometime, but before I approach him with anything I just want to hear some opinions from others. I knew a couple of guys who'd done too much ecstasy and messed their head up and that's kind of what he acts like. Any opinions or links to more info would be super.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry your brother isn't doing well. We cannot diagnose anyone or give any medical advice here. The best thing would be for your brother to see a doctor.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's really no way we can know. But talking to him directly about your observations sounds like a wise idea. And suggesting he see a doctor for his issues would be a step in the right direction.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Worrier,
Read around the forum, especially the sticky posts and learn about addiction. I know my exAH (Addict Husbands) addiction kinda blindsided me as I didn't grow up knowing anyone addicted, and didn't know much about it. I learned a lot here!

Having a conversation with him, letting him know you're worried about him and are there if he needs to talk, etc couldn't hurt.

Usually, someone in active addiction isn't going to admit to it when you ask them. Nor will they admit it if they steal money from you. Family members can help those addicted by not enabling them... don't give them money, don't buy their gas/food, pay their utilities, etc... therefore letting them feel the consequences of their actions. Only when they suffer the consequences and get sick and tired of living that lifestyle will they seek to change.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'm still doing some research online before I confront anyone. I'll be back if I need more info. Or to vent.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

worrier,

yes, keep reading and learning some warning signs. in my opinion, lying is probably the biggest red flag as far as drug use is concerned.
with regard to that, if and when you do have a conversation, his response will quite likely be very telling.

your post indicates there is reason for concern - if you don't quickly come to a firmer sense of your brother & drug use, i would urge you to speak with your parents about a psychiatric evaluation. of the very few things i know of schizophrenia, the onset is often in a person's early 20's.