Notices

Gaining weight...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gaining weight...

Today is day 22 with no alcohol. Saturday, I had to go shopping and get a new pair of jeans, ones that had a higher rise, for motorcycle riding (and by that I mean driving) on Sunday. I came home and cried. Since April 5th, I have gained 14lbs, 9 of which has been since I quit drinking. I feel better, but don't feel like I have any more energy really. Still don't feel like working out. I'm drinking 2-3 cans of Pop a day, and before I wasn't drinking any. But I was drinking a lot of beer everyday. My meals aren't any different, if anything, they have gotten smaller and healthier (somewhat), but I am snacking on something when I get home from work. That pushes dinner off until about 7ish, and I go to bed around 10pm usually. So I'm not too sure I really understand what's going on...

Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Alcohol really is insidious when it comes to destroying our insides.. I thought I was eating ok too, but also gained a bit of weight when I quit. Maybe I was just not getting the nutrients I needed from the food I had been eating, and my body started hanging on to them better.. but for me, I know I skipped a lot of meals or ate less when I was drinking, heck.. it'd ruin my buzz! (or I'd forget.. or pass out too early to eat.. whatever).

Your body is healing.. maybe start exercising a bit, take walks outside.. they're therapeutic really. Maybe switch to diet Pop, or better yet, WATER! Your body was probably so dehydrated from drinking all the time, you never know what those extra lbs could be.. but it's better than still being drunk, right!?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your body is still adjusting to life without alcohol.

I started an exercise program when I stopped drinking and it was such a big help to me. It really kept me active and helped me to feel healthy.

Be kind to yourself at this point and try to listen to your body.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I gained 20 pounds my first year of sobriety, and haven't lost it yet. I think it's my ice cream "nightcaps" and the fact that I drank instead of eating for the last few years I was drinking.

I do want to lose the weight, but I wouldn't trade my sobriety for a size 8!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Trixie,

First off, congrats on your sober time. That's a big accomplishment in and of itself.

As for the weight issue, my advice is to try to eat healthy, which it sounds like you're doing, and watch the refined carbs, like the sodas, chips, etc. And, please, try not to get too focused on weight. I know it's distressing, but you're still so early in the process. Try to be patient.

I didn't have energy for the first four to five months of my sobriety, and I did gain some weight. But you know what? When my moods, etc., started to settle, I found the inner drive to make going to the gym a priority. The weight started coming back off.

You'll get back in a groove, I promise. It takes everyone time. In the meantime, pat yourself on the back for what you have accomplished: A big step toward a healthier and more rewarding life.

doodledog
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi trixie - I gained some weight initially, but once my energy came back (at about 2 month's sobriety), I've since lost the extra pounds and another 5 pounds after that, and haven't really tried to. Don't know how to explain it...... but am not complaining. Give it some time - 27 days is not much time for our bodies to completely readjust themselves.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

EXERCISE!

keep moving, our bodies LOVE it when we move!

It can take some adjusting, but start moving now, and never look back!

It will do wonders for the mind......calm it, putting it to rest! AND you will sleep sooooo well at nite!

That and the SUGAR........when we quit drinking, we crave it.

Stay completely away from sugar. It has no value.

Soon sweet things will taste horrible.......it's worth it.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kristin,
You are so very early in sobriety,

I really believe your concerns will lead you to a long-term solution. Cutting down on sugar never worked for me (self admitted sugar junkie ), so it was a lucky day when I was able to arm myself with imformation that was accurate , and convincing, to move forward with. Found a copy of Sugar Blues in a thrift store one day, and it really helped me to understand what was going on.

Like quitting alcohol, quitting sugar is absolutely no joke. Arm yourself with some good imfo.

I've started to work out a little, but I really attribute losing 40+ lbs the last 4 months to 100% abstenance from sugar. Like ^ one day @ a Time said ; "it has no value "

Get that book from the library, .....It's a fun one to read anyway !!
Not just some dry nutritional blah, blah, blah

Congratulations on the 22 days !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NICE to hear someone who understands the dangers of sugar, congrats on your accomplishments! Hope others will take careful note.....re exercise too!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Kristin,

Congrats on the sober time! That should be your main focus right now.

I thought when I quit drinking the pounds would melt off. I pretty much stayed where I was. Like people posted above me, I think I started eating more. Especially at night before bed. I have been working out a lot. I also am avoiding sugar and carbs. This has helped, but I'm still not where I want to be.

Continue to watch your diet. Try replacing some soda with water. Even the flavored packets would be better than soda. Exercise. Find something to do. Topspin and some others inspired me to get back out on my bike. There are so many things out there you could do for activities. Bike, walk, yoga rollerblade...so many! Find something you enjoy!

Still...appreciate your sobriety. That needs to be a main focus for you.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Hey Kristin,

Congrats on the sober time! That should be your main focus right now.

........... Find something you enjoy!

Still...appreciate your sobriety. That needs to be a main focus for you.
I totally agree with Ghostly,
....at this point; weight-schmate,

Gauging the yardstick of a day; being sober is at the very top

.....beyond absolutely everything else that happens (or doesn't happen)
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ugh. Weight gain. I've gained 30 pounds in the 2+ years since I quit drinking. As others have experienced, by the time I quit, I could barely hold down food.

Most days, I ate a Twinkie or something dumb like that because it was all I could stand. I could barely look at food. So, really, I've just arrived at my practicing alcoholism starting weight. So, really, it's not that bad. But, yeah, I miss my flat belly.

I've never been a fan of soft drinks. However, when I quit drinking, I missed having something special to drink so badly that I almost started drinking them.

Instead, I started drinking Topo Chico. This stuff's expensive, but you might be able to substitute cheap store-brand club soda for it. Then, for a twist, you can add in freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice. It might help you feel like you're getting something special. You could even add in a tablespoon of cranberry juice and be consuming less sugar than you are with soft drinks.

I also drink iced tea. I've tried just about every tea imaginable iced. Most of them aren't half bad. I'm a fan of iced Oolong tea. For a 32 oz. pitcher of tea, I use one tablespoon of locally produced honey for sweetening. I use locally produced honey because I heard an old wive's tale that it will help with allergies.

And I became a coffee snob. My christmas gift this year was an espresso machine. I have one very large latte made with skim milk per day. No sweetener added.

I'm telling you all this, but, the truth is, I don't know if it will help you lose weight. You said you didn't feel like going to the gym, which implies to me you used to go. The calories you're not burning in exercise might be contributing to your weight gain.

Either way, don't let this get you down. You'll get it sorted out.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

About 5 years ago, I drank like a fish, ate like a pig, and ran two miles a day. My weight held steady between 130 and 135, which, for my body frame, was too little weight. But, once I stopped running, the weight came flying back, and then some. And now more. My husband is starting to sound like my ex that I was with back when I was skinny. "Well if you would get off your *ss and stop being so lazy and do something then you would start losing weight."

Sounds like true love, eh?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been sober since 7/4/10 and have not noticed any change in the way I look, but like you, I want to change that. I haven't been to the gym in over a year, and it's really hard to get back into it because of the way I feel right now. I don't have the energy problems that your exspiriencing, but my motivation level has been really low and I have to push myself so hard just to do everyday things. I really do feel like just being a couch potato, but I think that would be the worst thing for me right now. I've been working out for the past week and am really trying to stay commited to it.

There are a lot of things I want to change about my daily routine, but I think just focusing on one thing at a time to help you with your goal, makes it a lot lesss overwhelming or seem so unachiveable. Weather its cutting back on pop, or walking for half an hour, I think you can make the changes you need to get where you want to be.

As for what your husband said to you.....all I can say is, as a guy I also think that way sometimes. One of my friends (female) was once complaining about how she was sinking into a financial black hole and my responce was "Why don't you get a second part time job instead of continually increasing your credit card bill and going more into debt?" Wrong answer. She just wanted some sympathy and a good ear from someone.

Don't know if any of that helped, but I'm glad your still sober, and I'm sure your energy level will get back to normal. Just be paitient and give it time.

Dune
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
My husband is starting to sound like my ex that I was with back when I was skinny. "Well if you would get off your *ss and stop being so lazy and do something then you would start losing weight."
I would tell your husband that it might be easier to get off your *ss if he would get off your back first.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What larkspur says...

No advice on the weight side. We all know the drill: eat healthy, avoid snacks, burn more than you eat... do exercise, blah, blah...
As you have been told before, the first lesson is to be happy with our bodies, to cherish them. You have quitted drinking. This is a great act of love to yourself. Keep it up.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Trixie,
22 days of sobriety that's great, and staying focused on sobriety is important. It will take more time for your metabolism to adjust to an alcohol-free life. Getting rid of toxic substances and trying to minimize the damage on a regular basis was hard work for it after all, and your energy wil come back after some time. Getting sober is hard work, especially in the beginning.

I have 1+ year of sobrietry and I remember that in the first 6 months I gained over 15 pounds, but by now, I have lost them again. I also remember that my body image wasn't great during that time, and it was sometimes hard to convince myself that this was a lesser evil and that I had to be nice to myself and my body after a long period of self-abuse. Your body is not your enemy, and I'm sure this will sort itself out after some time.
I also think you shouldn't worry too much about your husband's comment: Yes, it was harsh and inconsiderate, but men tend sometimes to offer "practical problem-solving advice" when all you need is just a bit of compassion and empathy. So it wasn't necessarily meant to be criticism and to be mean.

After I was sober some time I started change my diet a bit- less sugar, less fat, nothic really drastic. The soda pop can f.e. be replaced with a mix of fruit juice without added sugar and sparkling water- it's bubbly, it tastes sweet but it is more healthy and you'll bven get some vitamins. Loads of non sparkling mineral water are also great.

But I think the best decision was to move more. You don't need to necessarily start a full on fitness program, but incorpoaring some "exercise" in the daily routine really does help. I just started to use my car or the bus less for small distances and started to walk and to ride my bicycle more. I also started to take some martial arts once a week, so that may have contributed too. It's also a plus that even light exercise helps lift one's mood, at least it was beneficial for me. Do someting you rather like to do instead of doing something you have to force yourself to- think about what kind of activity suits you. And you don't have to do that alone either. I think keeping it moderate and giving your body some time to adjust is important. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing great so far. Hugs, and a godd sober day to you
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Hi Trixie,

Have your doctor do some tests, Iron, Thyroid, B1 and research (Google) what you could be depleted of. Alcoholics run the very serious risk of depleting themselves from the Vitamin B complex, Magnesium, Vitamine C, Zinc Selenium. All related to energy levels etc.

I gained weight and couldn't get of my *&s and felt like a beached wale and my thyroid wasn't working properly. I am trying to get it back up and running with natural supplements with my doctor monitoring my progress and from falling asleep after three cups of coffee in the morning I can now exercise for 15 minutes without to much strain and actually feeling good about using my body again.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hiya Trix, Congratulations on your 22 days alcohol free. It is often said that we swap one addiction for another, our brains need something to concentrate on to compensate for the big hole that we feel when quitting alcohol. Sometimes it is food, sometimes we throw ourselves into exercise, or work, whatever we do has got to be better than back tracking into drinking again.

I stayed dry for 3 years, sadly i launched into alcohol again after some personal problems and am now on day 2 of my second battle to quit alcohol, a battle I am determined to win. (you can read my story titled "I made a big mistake")

When I was dry for 3 years, I went on a healthy eating plan from day one and lost 28 llbs in 4 months. You have to keep in mind if you do this not to go over the top, your body needs 2000 calories per day for a women and 2500 calories per day for a man. When on a healthy eating diet you need to cut those calories down but you need to still be eating 1500 calories a day to keep healthy. We can easily do this by cutting out all fizzy drinks, hard cheese, chocolate, stuff that you know is going to be heavy on the calories. I used to buy low fat chocolate mousse for after meals, so that I would get the chocolate fix without the calories.

As I started losing weight, I kept a diary of how great I felt, I put the money away that I used to spend on drinking, and was so excited when I could buy a pair of jeans in a smaller size, all this gave me something to focus on.

Another thing I did as well is as soon as I got up, I took a shower, did my hair properly and put on make up and dressed myself in some nice clothes every day, this gave me so much confidence to start the day. Even if I didnt intend to go out I still did this it made me feel so much better.

I intend to do this again now that I have decided to stay sober it worked for me and I hope some of these tips can be useful to you.

Take care, god bless.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

if the weight gain is something that's bothering you, you do have the power to do something about it. Eat healthy, cut out the sodas, and exercise. Exercising was hard at first for me, but without the drugs and drinking i was left with the cold reality of what my body had become in addiction. So i made a decision to improve my health and appearance. 9 months later i weigh 90 pounds less and feel and look great.

It really boiled down to the simple fact that there's no more escaping my feelings so as far as i can control it i must stop doing things that make me feel bad about myself and start doing things that make me feel good about myself.