Notices

best year of my life?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

best year of my life?

it's not quite a year yet....won't be until september 8th.

but this calendar year is possibly the best year of my life. i've had some good years too. when my sons were born. when i've attained promotions at work. ball teams that i've coached that did well.

but this year has been wonderful. for the little things. i can't believe how much clearer i see everything now. each day i get behind me that little vodka bottle in the mirror gets smaller and smaller. i still have moments of temptation but it's not anything like the first few months.

i turned 50 last october after quitting.

i'm in the best shape physically i've been in 10 years. drinking never put weight on me since it was my food....liquid potatoes.

since quitting i've gone from a 'vodka chic' 160 pounds to a pretty solid 178. i needed the weight. i looked awful in my face. bad color. always puffy eyed. i literally vomitted every morning. usually just bile and water. haven't one time since quit day. helluva benefit right there.

i helped coach a baseball team that made the championship out of 34 teams. and was sober for every practice and game. i never showed up ripped in the past but it was on my breath....using whatever 'mints' available trying to hide it.

i've been rebuilding a water damaged house for my son and his future wife. i used to do things like this in the past but when drinking i had no energy for it. i could start jobs but no staying power.

i went on a medical/dental mission trip to nicaragua in february. it was my first one since 2001.....that's when my drinking got out of control and i had to have it every day.

i know this sounds insignificant but i love driving down the road with my windows down now. and it's been very hot this summer. in the past i had the a/c on and windows up. it's like i'm experiencing sounds for the first time. i'll be stopped at a light and so aware of everything going on around me. in the past i was terrified of being pulled over so i kept my tinted windows up and tried to make it home.

i know this was rambling but just wanted to share what my sobriety has meant for me.

love to all,

david.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Thank you for sharing, very inspirational!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man. Great post!!

Well done on your sober time too and it's great that you're enjoying life again!!

I too love driving with my windows down, though I usually have my tunes blasting out!! It's all of the little things that I appreciate so much now. Things that most people probably take for granted. Had I never experienced such terrible lows then I wouldn't have been able to appreciate everything that I now do and used to not even notice or think about.

Life sober truly is more rewarding, gratifying and peaceful.

Glad you're doing so well mate. It's been great sharing this journey with you. Thank you.

Peace
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

David, that's a great post!

I'm so glad that you're feeling good.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, one thing I will never miss is the taste of puking up bile and water in the morning from not consuming anything but vodka the day before! Congrats on your milestone.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration, means a lot to people like me with less than a month.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

txnative....i don't post much but this place is what helped me get sober and stay sober. at first i read it hourly. now i try to check in daily to keep me humble but i still don't post much. trust me when i tell you....i'm nobody special. a drunk is what i was...embarrassing at times. i was still hurting BAD during my first month but it does get better. it really does. and you save so much money.

that's a heckuva nice benefit. do i spend it??? heck yes...but on good things now. my paychecks go further...no bounced check fees when i had money in savings but was too lazy to keep up and log on and move funds. i know that sounds crazy but that was me.

neo........my music is always blasting too amigo...to the point it's embarrassing when i come to a stop light because i've had the volume up to the level to compete with 45 mph winds and then have to stop....lol. you're still my big brother...lol. i love how your posts help so many folks on here. you are truly giving back to the community that helped us. i know my posts are usually pretty much the same and folks like you and anna gotta be thinking 'dayyyuummmnn....that's the same as his last one' but the new guys might find something in it to latch on to.

i'm getting ready to head over and work on my son's house to be. i'm loving it. it's manual labor but i get to use some electrical and carpentry skillz too that i've picked up over the years. saving tons by doing it myself. of course i'm slower than hiring a crew but i also know i'm going to get it done in my 'control freak' fashion and it'll be right...lol.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL, A Fallen Man, I never think 'that's the same as the last one'.

Seriously, I have been around here for a long time, and I LOVE the Newcomers Forum. SR is my lifeline, and it's reading the posts from the new members that helps to keep me humbled and honest in my life. When I read a post that is full of pain and despair, I can so identify with those feelings. I was there. And, when I read your post today about how much better you were feeling, I am truly so happy. I am always inspired when I come here and it never gets old for me.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is great Fallen Man. I too celebrate my birthday and a year sober in October and it feels great. Funny I always seem to thank God for the ability to drive. Such a simple thing that a gave up for so many years.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna exactly, A Fallen Man (David).

I really get a lot from your posts mate.

peace Out.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing David. It is always good to hear how good someone is doing. Especially good for newcomers to hear. Let's them know that life can be lived and enjoyed without a drink, or any substance for that matter.

I never took the time to take anything in at all when I was drinking, just didn't want to be bothered with life in any way, shape or form. Never cared much about my health either. I was underweight, face all drawn in and usually looked like a dead man walking.

Good share, take care and God bless.

Harry
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Right on!

Great post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Hi David, we started out in the Sept. 2009 group together. I am really happy to see you made it through the first year and that things are going well. Heartfelt congratulations.

(I am a couple weeks back on the path and doing very well)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing! I am looking forward to being where you are:-)

There isn't a day goes by that I dont thenk God that I never got a DUI or that I hurt someone...driving without worries is the best!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Beautiful post and great thread. Thank you to everyone here at SR for helping me stay sober one day at a time.

Stephanie
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations David!! You can ramble that kind of rambling ANYTIME!! I love to read how sobriety has changed lives. Good for you!!! Keep those windows down and let the sweet breeze wash over you. Blessings - Sarah
Old 08-01-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

FM - Well done. I completely agree with you on the whole newness of everything around me in sobriety. You hit the nail on the head. Getting sober brought back everything I missed in life and the peace in the simplest things.

I am right now watching a movie and enjoying it by myself. Prior to sobriety....I would be anxious.....constantly running from puking, peeing to refilling and not remembering much of the movie.

Keep on going and know that you inspire so many.....one of which is ME.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bbr

Great job on (almost) a year AFM. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

BBR
Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks a million for this! It is a brilliant post. very inspiring. It does help very much to feel it coming, the peace of mind, the happiness of the heart your post reveals.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks for sharing the joys of sobriety! The sheer freedom of it is heady, isn't it?