Notices

Nice sober Saturday morning

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nice sober Saturday morning

Waking up minus the horrors of hangover/shame/guilt/no spirit/needing more etc etc etc have been priceless lately, I'm on my 25th day w-out the 20 beers a day program. This morning was great, got up as the sun was coming up and decided to bust out with the car cleaning goods and spent about 2.5 hours cleaning inside and out. The beauty of it was I did it w-out drinking. That project would always mean at least a 12 pack. It'd start out fun, catching a buzz/cleaning with Van Halen cranked up, but where would I be now? I'd be 1/2 lit at 10am. I would already have gotten another 12, I'd be legally drunk, at noon I wouldn't want to eat lunch and by 3 I'd be all burned out and pist off/crash till 6/start all over!! So glad I am working hard to end that, for good! Just wanted to share my peaceful morning. Happy Saturday to you guys!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time, Texas!

I was recently nauseous from a medical procedure I underwent and boy did it take me back to my hangover puking days. ugh.

Can't tell you how good it felt to know that it wasn't from a night, weekend, or 7-day bender.

It's great to recall where you'd be if you hadn't put the beer down; that's so important to remember, especially when the evil aww, just one won't hurt or you can control it thinking creeps in. It's a lie.

That thinking is a primary reason for the signature I keep.

It is an awesome Saturday...enjoy it! If you're up to it, my car could use a good detailing...I'll provide lunch...deal? LOL.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get what you're saying, Texas Native. Waking up sober and being productive is one of the gifts of sobriety. Of course, this morning I slept late. Now it's hot, and I still have to mow the yard. Yuck! Perhaps, since you're feeling perky, you'd like to come mow the yard?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
Waking up minus the horrors of hangover/shame/guilt/no spirit/needing more etc etc etc have been priceless lately...
And here I thought that the straight talkin' Texan was a myth. Turns out that I was wrong. Good Saturday to you sir.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can I get in line to have Texas come clean my car and mow my lawn:-)

Congrats on another sober, beautiful Saturday morning. The weather is picture perfect here and I have to go to the office:-( having dinner with friends though:-) a month ago I wouldn't have wanted to because it would have interferred with my drinking...what an idiot I was!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Tex! You know, more and more I realize that all the things I thought I needed to drink either to do or to enjoy, are so much better sober and healthy. Good job on the 25 days!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Texas!!!
Happy sober Saturday to everybody....
Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It is a great day to be sober, isn't it
Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yer man, Just got in from work. ACDC 'Highway To hell' Blasting out!! It took me a longtime to get there without feeling any desire to get loaded.

Peace
Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

NEO - "Highway to Hell" - that's alcoholism in a nutshell!

Great post, Texas! It really make me think about all those projects that I would start, feeling great, beer or wine in hand, cruisin along........ then slowing down and eventually ending up drunk mid-day. The project would be shoved aside (half-done, of course), and I'd take to my bed to watch TV and play video games on the laptop. Usually had to start drinking again early evening, as I could feel that I would be in hangover-land by bedtime.

Up the next morning (hopefully before noon), I'd notice the mess I'd made because I was too looped to care about cleaning it up. and all I'd want to do is spend the day in bed. Screw the project anyway.

Thanks SO much for the reminder. And yes, today is a great day!!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Tex! The best part of sobriety is waking up in the morning with a sense of hope and purpose.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onestepforward View Post
The best part of sobriety is waking up in the morning with a sense of hope and purpose.
Yes. That really hits the nail on the head for me. When I would wake after a binge I would feel so depressed and have zero sense of purpose, direction or hope. Cue another beer and another beer and then trying to create some sense of not caring. Always knwoing that the binge would have to come to an end and feeling really depressed and hopeless,

That's what I love about recovery. It has given me a new purpose. If nothing else then staying sober is purpose. But the great thing is that's it's so much deeper then that.

I could never listen to ACDC back in the day without a can of beer in one hand, a ciggy in the other, and lines of Cocaine chopped and ready to go on my desk in front of me. It's real progress man.

peace
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hell yeah, man! Keep up the good work....

SSZ
Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is my first sober Saturday in a loooong time, 2-3 years. Instead of the normal routine: wake up around 8am, force myself to puke, take shots of vodka until i pass out around 2pm, take a 3 hour nap, wake up and continue drinking vodka until i pass out around midnight, repeat. All the while not eating a single thing.

Today, day 4, I woke up and walked to the local bakery for a bagel & coffee, came back and cleaned up around the house a bit, ate a solid lunch, then took out my bicycle and decided to ride my bike for about 10 miles through some trails overlooking a river. Saw some baby turtles and birds taking a bath in a puddle, which made my day. Showered, about to grill out on the deck with my roommates. And it's only 4:00!!!!

I honestly can't believe I've been missing allllll of this for so long! It just feels good to not be a lazy drunk sitting on the couch all day.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
Saw some baby turtles and birds taking a bath in a puddle, which made my day.

It is those little things that make sobriety so good.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awsome tex, and thanks for your continued posting. I'm one day ahead of you and it's great to hear from people that stopped on or around the same day I did. Hope your urges are dying down. I remember in some of your earlier posts you were talking more about dealing with that.

and I can totally relate to drinking and working on some project. It's great at first, get a good buzz and being productive, but then after one hour I'm slowing down, and by the 2nd hour I'm just drinking and drop everything that I got started on. If I'm lucky, I'll get maybe 2 hours of total work done in the whole day of working, maybe 4-6 hours of sleep, and about 16 hours of drinking. Now it's more like 8 hours of work, no drinking, a workout session, 8 hours of sleep, and the rest is either baseball, TV, studying, or SR. And just like you said, waking up in the morning now has been priceless.

Keep it up tex,

Dune
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relate to this thread (as well as so many others) totally, Mwstylee's post in particular. Your past Saturday morning experiences sound almost identical to my days or weeks off. Today is Sunday and this morning I was up at 6.30 am, having breakfast, then on the motorbike for a cruise to the beach and so the day went on. I have had the bike for 6 months from brand new and in the first five months only managed around 200 kms as I was never sober enough to ride it. In the last 4 weeks I have put over 1000 kms on the clock! By 1.00pm I had been on the bike, been for a swim, done some shopping before going back to work tomorrow and packed. All of this just in time to watch my flat mate stagger out of bed after a big night out. Man I don't miss that feeling and love this feeling!