Symptoms

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Symptoms

Can someone tell me the signs and symptoms of someone who is using oxy or something called roxicet? It may seem like a stupid question but I need to know. I googled it but they all seem the same and vague. Also, if he is denying using and I suspect, should I buy one of those home drug kits from walgreens and make him take it? Or would it just be a waste of money? Thanks, SS
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Symptoms? In my personal experience, look for someone who is happy and dreamy, may talk a lot, may not talk at all, may slur their words, may nod off, and when they run out they are sicker & meaner than a dog.

That said, The BIGGEST symptoms of drug abuse/addiction is lying about it. So I suggest you go with your gut. As far as a drug test goes, active addicts will deny test results until they are blue in the face. So, if it comes up positive and they say the test was innacurate, what then?

I draw my boundaries around SUSPECTED DRUG USE.

If I SUSPECT you are on drugs, I will ask you to leave my house immediately. If you don't comply, I will have you removed by the police.

Not saying you should do that. But what I am saying is it really doesn't do us any good to play detective or try to police someone elses drug addiction.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Roxi is a brand name for Percocet ( oxycodone with paracetamol/acetaminophen).

What do you hope to accomplish with a drug testing kit?

You did not cause this.
You cannot control this.
You cannot cure this.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi stayingstraight. I just read your post in the addicts forum. It truly sounds like you already know the deal with your BF. He is not going to change for you. Acceptance is the first step. Acceptance that you can't change him. You CAN change yourself though...

What do YOU want to happen for yourself? That's what really matters.

Have you looked into al-anon? A program of recovery may be very helpful for you!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post

You did not cause this.
You cannot control this.
You cannot cure this.
I thought that it might be a wake up call in some way to him. Letting him know that I know. Letting him know that I recognize how it changes him and he's not fooling anyone. But I know you're right. I can't control it or him and I can't cure it. But I might have been willing to help him through it one more time if he would have just come clean. But then again, until he is ready to clean up his act, it won't matter. He'll just end up being even more sneaky about it. I guess there is no winning with this. I need to focus on my own sobriety anyway. He's gonna do what he wants regardless. I'm not a quitter. But I guess it doesn't do me much good to keep trying to run a race I can't win. I'll just continue on with my life and wait and see what happens. What else can I do? Kick him out. Have him physically removed by the police. Ignore it. Keep fighting over it. Stand by and watch while, slowly but surely, he digs himself a deeper hole and tries to drag me down with him. Not because I do drugs. My drug of choice was alcohol. But because I enable him through my emotional and financial support. As long as he's in the picture, I will continue to live my life in limbo, so to speak. Because I won't feel a true emotional, loving relationship with him due to the drugs making him incapable of this. And I won't be able to have a chance of meeting anyone else to possibly have a normal relationship with them. Thanks for listening. SS
Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ now you're talking

D
Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Hey all. I just want to say thank you to everyone again for being there and reading what I've typed. Your responses were very helpful in working it out in my head. I've decided to get back to basics. What I mean by that is...focus on my own sobriety and stop trying to fix what I can't. It's nice to know that I can express myself openly on here. Especially when I'm feeling vulnerable or desperate. Thanks again. SS
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post

You did not cause this.
You cannot control this.
You cannot cure this.
Though I am not usually against drug testing kits, this does make a whoooole lotta sense to me. Even with a positive test, most addicts will tell you it's wrong.

"I swear, the sky is RED! No, pink!"
Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

there are so many ways to cheat a drug test...I know what sobriety looks, talks,smells, and acts like.bet you do too.don't start mistrusting those instincts...it's a slippery slope. I can pretty much tell u the day my daughter started using again even the the test came back negative..