Notices

Just Registered

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Registered

Hi All -

I suppose I am the newest registered member and should introduce myself.

I'm 28 years old and have struggled with alcohol for the majority of my 20s.

I had my first drink at about 16 years old, but didn't develop a problem until maybe around 19 or 20. It started slowly and innocently enough as I joined in the typical college drinking on my campus. Unfortunately, my friends were all able to stop and move on with life, and I got "stuck". I attribute it mostly to my addictive personality and a family history of addiction.

At my peak, I was drinking on a nightly basis. Enough to be drunk and often black out. I've always recognized that it was a problem, just never bothered to work it out.

I have made progress on my own. What was once a nightly habit I thought I could never in a million years overcome (even taking one day off seemed like torture) has greatly reduced itself. My longest period of abstinence has been about 3 months. Right now, I drink maybe once a week or once every two or three weeks. As of today, I've gone a week and a half. I still drink more than I should and still find myself fighting cravings, but I have made some baby step progress on my own.

Most of my personal progress at this point has been from "grinning and bearing it". However, I always seem to come back to a point where I give in. I just started the lowest level of rehab treatmeat at a local facility (they evaluated me at this level.... so I must be doing something kinda right). I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point, but that's left for another thread.

Otherwise, thanks for reading my novel. Hope to learn a lot here!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for joining us, MissScarlett! You'll find that this placed is filled with awesome people who have lots of hope and experience to share with you (and me, and all of us). I'm 29, and have been without the booze for 4 months. This site has helped me immeasurably in that. I'm also a fan of AA, even though I was very against it in the past. It's helped me a lot in my recovery. Have you thought of using any type of program like that? It's free, and usually pretty convenient to where you live, and often meetings can be attended early or late, before or after work.

Glad you joined us! Hope you'll hang out for a while.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi MissScarlett. It sounds like we have a lot in common age and experience-wise. Big welcome to SR. .
Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you found an excellent forum! I'm new also, stopped drinking 23 days ago. All I can really say is if you stop now you will be much happier, drinking problems are progressive...the next thing you know you will be an all day everyday drinker and years will seem like weeks!! Read a lot here and keep posting, it's a big help!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi MissScarlett, welcome to SR. I to started with alcohol. I was able to stop on my own. The alcohol just made me feel sick.

Then I moved onto bigger and better things- Vicodin, Tramadol, Amphetamines.

You just really have to be careful since you have that "addictive" gene.

Best of luck to you and keep posting!!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss Scarlet. I hope this forum will be a Good help to you as it has to the rest of us.......Good Luck! xx
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here MissScarlett. You will find a lot of great support here and a lot of good information.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You sound like me. Stuck in a college town where you still do those "college things". Don't worry this place is great. Ive found so many people like me here at SR. Welcome!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Miss Scarlett

D
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome! It's wonderful you found us. You are no longer alone, and at a young age you can get this thing figured out. You won't have to go through the hell many of us did. I wish I'd been as wise when I was in my 20's - could have avoided all sorts of chaos in my life.

SR has been a miracle for me - I never thought just not feeling alone could do so much to ease my guilt and disgust in myself. You're in great company here - we look forward to hearing more about you.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Miss Scarlet! It sounds like you've made some really good progress, going from daily drinking to drinking occasionally. I have to say that's rare for alcoholics, and I know it was impossible for me (for any period of time) as I always seemed to drink more (and more often) than I planned to. In the end, I had to admit I just couldn't handle having alcohol in my life, period. Are you trying to quit altogether?

Keep reading/posting - this is a great place for support! It sounds like you're doing some good things, so congrats for that, too!!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, MissScarlett.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss Scarlet! Looking forward to hearing more from you
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are taking positive action...Welcome....
Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm new here too but already I think this is a great place. I also think we have a lot in common... I know how it is to make so much progress on your own but not be able to quit completely. I'm glad you are able to get the help you need