Notices

9 Days!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 Days!

It's been nine days since I last drank. My physical symptoms are finally subsiding. My SSRI seems to be kicking in with the panic attacks, and when I experience panic, I just "ride it out". I had an interview today. It went pretty well except I keep churning it over and over again in my head. Before I would have used this as wither a reason to drink to celebrate that it was over with or a reason to drink to feel less anxious about it. Tonight, I just got some sleep as I have been extremely tired. Wedding on Sunday. Already planning how to avoid drinking.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Congrats on 9 days, nating! Those first couple weeks can be brutal, I know. And it's good that your medicine is working for you again.

Good luck at that wedding this weekend. I'm sure many people here have experienced that and can share some great ideas with you on staying away from the booze. Are you using any program in your recovery?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great, keep it up
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are getting better Nating.

I have no experience with weddings or such so early in my recovery.

My two suggestions are to have a sober buddy - who knows the whole story - and have an escape plan worked before hand in case things get too hard.

D
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

9 days is great!! Congratulations on the interview, too.

I went to a wedding a couple weeks into sobriety and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I figured everyone would be whooping it up, but there were only a few (including the bride) that seemed to be doing much drinking. I guess that goes to show you that there's a whole bunch of non-drinkers (or 1-drink-and-I'm-done people) out there. I was pleasantly surprised.

Stay close to the finger food. And Dee's idea is great - take a sober friend if you can, and leave if things get uncomfortable.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day Ten! I got the job! Usually, I would be drunk by now celebrating, but I am instead working.

No program yet. I am going to have to make that a priority. I won't be able to attend the wedding because I can't go out of town. I start work tomorrow! That's actually good news for me, but my friend might be a bit offended. I made a connection between five pm and the dizzy/ligh-headed feeling. That's around the time that I would usually have started drinking before. I find that drinking water seems to help a bit. I hope that it goes away soon or eventually. Thanks for the words of encouragement!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 9 days. that stands out to me. . .i seem to recall 9 was a sort of turning point in the first month. . .

as for weddings, no personal experience, but someone told me just go to the ceremony, and if you need to do the reception, get there a little later (just before the meal) and leave early, if you need to do so. If you are close to the bride or groom (or both) you can let them know that you quit drinking and may not stay long. Besides, the bride and groom often leave much earlier than the guests!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Enough is Enough

Congrats on getting through the interview and getting the job. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you. Keep it up.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time AND the new job!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy