Notices

Alone time?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone time?

For the first two weeks of my sobriety, I went to an AA meeting everyday. I am on day 17 now. Monday, something came up and I didn't make it to the meeting. So then, yesterday, there were two meetings that I could have gone to, but I didn't. I stayed home and sorted out all my mail and figured out what bills were the most current and what not. Didn't have a drink...didn't even think about it. But, I didn't feel like going to a meeting either. I feel like I am letting people down by not going, but I just didn't feel like going. Didn't really want to get out of the house. I spent some time on these boards, reading the posts. That really has been helping me. ANd dont get me wrong, I really enjoy the meetings. So I am not sure why I haven't been feelling like going. I've been reading the big book and 24 hour a day book on my own. I'm not sure...maybe I am just in a slump?

Thanks for listening...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awakening...

The biggest thing people in recovery need to learn is balance. Work/home/family/meetings, ect.
It's very common to switch one addiction (booze/drugs) for AA/NA meetings.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that balance is crucial for me.

I used to give up my 'alone time' because there was always one more thing to do before the end of the day. No more. Alone time is crucial for my recovery.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with finding the right balance in your life. If you need some alone time, take it. As long as it's good for your recovery, why not?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like Anna, alone time is also crucial to my recovery. If I don't find time to sort out the thoughts and emotions running through my head, then the temptation to drink always appears as a way to escape the chaos.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whatever is working for you is all that matters. I'm at 3 weeks yesterday and am still very unstable with emotions, so I haven't been to any meetings. I'm not against it and have been to many in the past, I'm just not ready. I work hard all day, excercise, read a lot and then go to bed. When I'm ready I'll go.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I find that the times when I don't want to go to a meeting are usually the times when I need to be there the most. It's one thing if I have legitimate reasons for not going, like if I'm working all day and I really can't get there, or if there's just something that really needs to be done. That happens all the time. But if I find myself trying to find something to do as an excuse not to got to a meeting, then I probably need to get my butt down to the clubhouse.