Notices

Day 1...HELP

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1...HELP

Hello to all! I am on day 1. I am 37 yrs old and have been drinkig for 25 years. I quit twice when i was prego with my 2 babies (very tough!). I have noticed ive been drinking more and more lately...about daily a few some days and othrs a upwards from 10. I am also 104 lbs. Not good. Ive also been getting super sick, calling into work, very depressed and guilt ridden. I have a loving husband who is on his way out if i dont stop...He doesnt get the addicting part of this disease. I have been throwing up all day and crying my eyes out. I want to stop...like NOW.. Its not fun anymore..its scarey because its more like i NEED it than WANT it. SCAREY. I need support and kind and caring words! PLEASE HELP
Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TH, you sound a lot like me (although 4 years younger!). First, congrats on stopping! It is rough at first, both physically and psychologically. The physical things will pass in a few days. You may want to seek medical attention during the detox to make sure you are safe!

I am now 52 days sober. Physically, I had one day of detox, and was fine after that (I have no clue how much water I drank that day!). Psychologically, it has not been too hard for me. However, I was done drinking when I quit. I mean done. I have had enough for a lifetime, and no matter how much I might think I would like to "enjoy" a drink, I know that I cannot, and that the result will be things I do NOT enjoy at all.

A support system will help a lot. SR is a great site (I am still new here), but you may want to find some face to face support. This could be counselling, out patient treatment, groups, or AA meetings. For me, AA has been nothing short of life-saving. It has helped me more than nothing else to be around other alcoholics (or problem ex-drinkers, if you don't like the "A" word). AA is not for everyone, and not all meetings are equal. In my opinion, it is worth attending some to see if it can help you. I would never have thought I would enjoy AA so much. Especially since I am not a religious person, and had a misconception before stepping into my first meeting (which is now my home group).

Make sure you done. Done, finished. . .and remember, while your children and husband, family and friends can be part of your motivation to quit, you ahve to stop for you. You deserve a better life than drinking will provide!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile You can make it

Hello and welcome to SR. There is a lot of support here. Do your homework on alcohol detox, it is very dangerous and in any case that I know of, a detox center for that addiction is strongly recommended. I have learned that you can die from withdraw, depending on how bad one is. Don't be afraid to reach out for help. I have been where you are and if I can do it (with help) then you can do it as well. Keep posting and reading. You will find strength beyond your own on this site.

Hopenow
Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for responding! I have wanted to quit for many years and have tried a number of times but that little voice always convinced me it was ok to do it..I know all too well about the little devil voice now and didnt back then. Ive tried AA and talked myself out of it thinking i wass no where near as bad off as the people there...Well, i feel differently about it now! LOL I too am not religous at all but have been thinking about maybe getting spiritual??? I feel lost..My life has been flourished with nothing but patying and i need to get a clear head and live to the fullest...soberly. What sucks is that everyone i know..family, friends, work friends etc...ALLL DRINK! How do i avoid the temptation?? How did you?? Thanks again! Teasha
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband still drinks daily. I even buy his beer on occasion.. .I avid temptation simply by being done. I cannot explain it, but even if I have a fleeting thought about having a certain drink (i.e. a cold beer at the baseball game last week), my mind quickly starts going through why I do not really want one. I have spent time learning about the disease, and have really thrown myself into AA. It is definitely spiritual. I know a lot of people consider it a cult or a Christian group, but we have people from all over the spiritual map. This morning I met a young woman who was just ordained (if that is the right word) as a Rabbi. I have met Wiccans, agnostics, Christians (of all sects), Buddhists, people who simply believe in God or a Higher Power, Deists, etc. For many who drink execessively, there is a spiritual hole in their lives. I believe (now) that AA can help individuals fill that hole -- with their own work and understanding. No one, not one person in AA, has ever attempted to try to tell me what to think or what Higher Power in whic I should believe. I'd have been out the door faster than they could have finished speaking.

For now, avoiding situations where temptation is around would be helpful. Make sure your family knows that you are not drinking anymore. Most of them will probably be relieved and supportive. If you have to avoid spending time with them for now, you need to do it for you.

Remember, one day at a time. Sometimes it is more like one minute at a time. If you feel like giving into an urge, call someone who understands, find an AA meeting, or at least come here and post! Anything other than taking that first drink!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TH - I was where you are at about two weeks ago and the detoxing sucked; however, I'm officially on Day 15 and feel so much better not depending on alcohol to survive.

Yes, the first couple days are rough but you have to be determined to quit. If you can see a doctor to help you through this then go for it. I went cold turkey on my own and by day 3 I was almost back to reality. As others have said, detoxing can be very dangerous.

Your first step is to rid of all the alcohol in your house; drink lots of water; eat lots of fruit; take B12 supplements; and try to keep your mind focused on something outside of drinking. If and when you get the urge, just go out and take a walk.

Welcome to the SR family and best of luck to you.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome here Teasha!
Having been where you are now, I can highly recommend an empathetic doc who will help you on your way. Take your recovery one day at a time and seriously consider doing something different that will engage your time, energy and passion. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For avoid those places where there is drinking, avoid them Period! Ask a higher power for protection. As far as temptation goes, AA step work is the way that I overcame temptation. Do not worry about what any one around you thinks for now. Getting and staying sober is to save your life, it's not a popularity contest. Say no and avoid those places, us alkies are good at finding reasons to do things the way that we want, use that ability for good and not bad. Make a meeting, get a sponsor or call people that are sober, are some things to do as well. Post and read too!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Teasha
Good to have you with us

Like others have said seeing a Dr is often a good idea, especially when drinking makes us so sick.

We can quit...hundreds of us have made new sober lives for ourselves...you're not alone

D
Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Re: Help

TH, welcome and congratulations! As has been mentioned several times in this thread, detox is potentially dangerous. I went to rehab and spent three days in detox, where nursing staff monitored heart rate, blood pressure, and other stuff (I was pretty out of it, so forgive the lack of detail). I saw someone go through a grand mal seizure in rehab, several days after she was released from detox, which is one hellacious thing to witness. So, if you have the means to visit a doctor just to make sure all is well, it would behoove you to do so. That said, many people quit cold turkey without incident. My attitude is, why take the risk if you don't have to?

Regarding avoiding drinking - Hopenow's point is important. Avoid alcohol and the people, places and things that you have associated with drinking. I know that's difficult - my whole family still drinks. I didn't visit them until I had six months sober, and even then it was not the easiest thing to do. And perhaps the hardest thing to adjust to in early sobriety is honestly dealing with the fact that drinking for you is slow motion suicide. You will have to make adjustments to your daily life, who you associate with, and the places you go. It is not fun, but it beats dying. And for you, drinking ultimately means death.

The following is my take - some will not agree with parts of this, which is fine. All I can tell you is that it has and continues to work for me, since Dec 20 of last year. Here are the things my sponsor goes over with me every time I meet him, even though I've been doing really well for months now:

1. Don't drink.
2. Go to meetings - every day. (seriously. this sounds like a rediculous imposition on your life and limited time, but if you want to stay sober, go to at least one meeting every day for your first 90 days. Go to as many different ones in your area as you can get to & find the one/ones you like most - go to that one(s) as your first option)
3. Get a sponsor. Start by asking for someone to be your "temporary sponsor" - to make sure you are a good mutual fit. It is more than OK to move onto someone else if you prefer but get a sponsor soon. Talk to that person every day.
4. Pray and/or meditate every day. Even if you don't believe there is a God, ask for help with your problems, say thank-you for another hour, day, or week sober. There is no downside, other than feeling a little foolish at first.
5. Get a copy of the Big Book for yourself. Read it. If it seems absurdly old-fashioned, start at page 171 and read in any order that interests you. See which stories you can identify with.
6. Work the steps. (2,3 & 5 will bring you to this eventually, but understand that the steps are not optional if you want long term sobriety)
7. Work with other alcoholics. At first, this will only mean showing up for meetings and saying "Hi" to strangers. Later this may be setting up tables & chairs for a meeting or making coffee. It really doesn't matter, just get involved, service is important to your sobriety. The only way to keep it is to give it away.

TH - there are more people pulling for you & your sobriety than you can imagine. Keep at it and let us know how you are making out.

With gratitude,
Paul
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all sooooo much! I feel like its time and im ready to go at it full forcE!!! i WILL TALK TO U ALL DAILY AND KEEP YA POSTED! Goin to bed...rough day! THANKS AGAIN! TEASHA
Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add my welcome and best wishes...I agree with Eddie, realizing drinking is suicide was a big factor for me.

I am not doing AA, but there are a lot o great people here who are and who can give wonderful advice if you go that route.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Teasha!

You have chosen the right path to follow, for you and for your family. You will be over the worst of the detox in a few days and life just gets better and better after that!

Stay strong!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well...Ive gone through day 2 with out any problems! YEAH!!! I was a bit preoccupied to say the least today...My son got into my friends moms prescription sleeping pills and took one. Had to go to ER and had to monitor my sons heart (he's 2 by the way) for 6 hours, swallow the charcoal etc...LONG STORY SHORT..we are home safe and sound. And momma's doin well too!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it through your second day. I am glad you are here, and wish you strength in your recovery.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh dear Teasha, Good to hear your son is fine and that you are having a splendid day too!

Keep it up, your doing great! :ghug3
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done! and Welcome too!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye! Congrats on making it thru the first two days. I always found the first 3 or 4 days of detox to be the worst then it settles down and you start feeling more normal.

Whatever method or program you use to stay sober, just work it with all your heart and strength. I use a mix of some AA meetings, weekly counseling, and this site. It's been working for me and I'm coming up on 8 months sober. And I was a chronic relapser, so if I can do it, anyone can.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye!
Buckeye, smuckeye. . .GO BLUE! hee-hee. i couldn't help myself!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Actually your body is telling you that it "needs" it, since the drinking has probably got its chemistry all screwed around so that it runs on booze the way a car runs on gas. So how to get the chemistry back on line? It's a medical issue and I strongly suggest you consult a physician if you haven't done so already. A "self detox" is always risky and can be very unpleasant. A doctor can help you and advise you as to the best way to detox.
After that or at the same time, I suggest you go to as many AA meetings as possible, talk to the fellowship and get a sponsor early on.
These first few days, weeks, months, etc. are very tricky and you need all the help you can get. Hang in there. It takes guts and determination. You can do it. Good luck.

Wpainterw