Notices

Just wanted to share this :)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share this :)

Hi.

I have posted a few times on here, but usually just read.

I am still working on staying sober (day 7).

My hardest struggle is the "feels like someone else is taking over your body and mind cravings". (plus my fear of going to an AA meeting but my counselor is trying to help me with that).

I found something online that I thought I would share and might help someone else going through what I am.

Jamison

Coping with Alcohol Cravings

Coping with cravings is the key to tackling alcoholism. If you can manage to not give in to your cravings, or you can adapt so that you don’t get so many cravings in the first place, then there is no more addiction is there?

How you view your own cravings will determine how much power they have over you. If you believe that a craving won’t naturally go away once it has started, or if you think that the only way to deal with a craving is to drink, then of course you will be fairly powerless over them. This is the cognitive component of your addiction.

Making yourself aware of what things in your life tend to give you cravings, and therefore how you might avoid those situations, becomes a vital skill. For those ‘triggers’ that you can’t avoid, you can learn how to deal with them differently.

Lets say there are four types of cravings:

» a reaction to withdrawal symptoms
» escaping from unpleasant feelings (boredom, depression, anxiety etc.)
» a response to a learnt association (people, places etc)
» enhancing a positive mood

Each type requires a different approach to deal with it. And each person’s approach will be unique to them.

There are six recognised methods for dealing with cravings when they occur:

» distraction
» coping flashcards
» imagery
» rational responses to automatic thoughts
» activity
» relaxation

Distraction – the goal of these methods is to move a person’s attention away from negative internal thoughts or uncomfortable feelings, towards a more neutral external focus. They seem simple, but can all be effective -

» concentrate on your surroundings and describe them to yourself in detail, this can be quite ‘grounding’ when you feel like you’re losing it.
» talk to someone, anyone. A trusted friend, relative, your counsellor or even a total stranger if need be. It can help you get away from that loop running in your head.
» change the scenery – go for a walk, a drive, a bike ride, just get away from wherever you are right now.
» oddly enough, cleaning or other household chores can be perfectly distracting if you’re craving, and you might feel some sense of achievement too.
» video games (or indeed the old fashioned kind) can require enough concentration and challenge to take your mind off it, and of course, you can play them alone.
» I’m sure you can think of some other things to do which are distracting and enjoyable.

Coping Flashcards – when you’re in the grip of a strong craving, it’s hard to think rationally and remember all the things you’re supposed to. So writing yourself some instructions on a small index card can be useful. (This helps tremendously for people with anxiety too). The priority is to convince yourself that you can cope with this situation. Here’s a few examples of things you might write -

» things are going well with my partner right now, I don’t want to mess it up
» this craving will pass if I just give it time
» I’m not helpless here, what action can I take?
» what are the pros and cons right now?

Imagery – there are a few different types of imagery which can work -

» command your craving to STOP (see a big stop sign), then refocus on a relaxing location of your choice – a favourite peaceful spot.
» if you start remembering good times when you were drinking, then replace that image with the bad times, your lowest ebb when you felt ashamed and disgusted, do you want to end up back there?
» if it’s negative, depressing images that are giving you cravings, then imagine an optimistic view of your near future, with friends or family, having fun without a drink (or any other positive image).
» if you know you’ve got an event coming up which will give you cravings – try rehearsing the image in your head of you dealing with it appropriately.
Run through the feelings you’ll have so you are not caught off-guard by them.

Rational Responses to Automatic Thoughts – whenever you feel a craving, ask yourself “what thoughts are going through my head right now”. Many of the thoughts you are having will themselves be responsible for your craving. It becomes a matter of responding to those thoughts in a more rational way.

» look for evidence to back up or contradict your thought and ask yourself:
» can I look at this situation differently?
» if what I’m thinking is true, what really are the consequences?
» what is likely to happen if I carry on thinking like this?
» what positive action can I take to solve this problem?

Try not to make such catastrophic predictions about your cravings, like “there’s no way I can stand this, so I might as well just drink and get it over with”, “I keep having cravings, so I must be an alcoholic, I can’t beat this…” etc. Cravings usually subside fairly quickly anyway, so just ride it out if need be.

Activity – if you’ve had an addiction to drink for a long time, then you’ve probably not got many hobbies left. In fact quite often, drinking is the only activity you actually do for fun. So when you try and stop, boredom is the biggest hurdle. There’s no way around it – you’re going to have to try some new activities.

When you’ve found a few that you like, make sure you schedule them in every week:

“On Tuesday I’m going swimming, on Thursday I’m going to the cinema with Sally, on Saturday I’m getting out to the countryside for a walk with my partner.”

It will feel weird to some to plan your week this way, but in the early stages of recovery from addiction, it’s essential.

Relaxation – Anxiety, Anger, Frustration and Stress are amongst the biggest triggers for cravings. So learning some relaxation techniques can be a life-saver. If you’re not so tense, you’re less likely to act impulsively. And if you’ve been using alcohol to relax for years, then you are going to have to learn some other methods. Try these:

Simple Relaxation
More Relaxation Techniques
BBC – Relaxation

It will take a while to learn these new techniques, as with any new skill, but keep at it and you’ll be floating around on a cloud of calm like the best Buddhist masters. Well, hopefully…

Remember – It’s just a craving, it won’t kill you. But drinking might…
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks so much...i'm going to print this out and hang it on my fridge!

i'm sure i will read it more than once!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Jamison!

That's a keeper for sure.

You mentioned about your fear of going to an AA meeting. I've only been to one (so keep that in mind). There seem to be a number of types of meetings. The one I went to was a Speaker meeting which was very pain-free.

I got to the room and was welcomed by a couple of friendly people. The meeting started and it was a bit "church-like" at first. Then the leader of the meeting went over some procedural matters (summer bbq etc). And finally a speaker got up and gave a 30 minute talk about his experiences in recovery. Then the Lord's prayer at the end and out we went. Just under one hour.

At no time did feel the need (or had the opportunity) to share with the group. They did ask if there were any newcomers who needed a copy of the Big Book. I already had a copy so I didn't stick up my hand.

I'm just posting this type of meeting may be a good ''icebreaker" for you if you want to get involved with AA.

AA vets on SR please jump in if there's anything to add, but that's my take based on a grand total of one meeting.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamison, Great post on cravings and congrats on your 7 days!

Don't know why you are creeped out by AA, but there are other routes if you really can't get yourself to go to AA meetings. 223 is right, speaker meetings are a little less daunting. I can also recommend small group meetings. I have a phobia of large groups of people and my counsellor suggested which meetings usually have smaller groups. Plus, you don't have to share, just pass. You are new, people will understand.

Keep up the good work and stay strong!

Last edited by LifeIs; 07-27-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
Don't know why you are creeped out by AA, but there are other routes if you really can't get yourself to go to AA meetings. 223 is right, speaker meetings are a little less daunting. I can also recommend small group meetings. I have a phobia of large groups of people and my counsellor suggested which meetings usually have smaller groups. Plus, you don't have to share, just pass. You are new, people will understand.

Keep up the good work and stay strong!

I am not "creeped" out by them...cuz then I would be "creepy" to myself. lol

I do plan on getting to one.

I struggle with agoraphobia and have a hard time driving to a meeting. Agoraphobia is very isolating so I might have developed some social anxiety also.

Thank you though very much for sharing that with me and for your good wishes.

If anyone who does AA has any tips I would welcome them.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

We've got some great stickies on PAWS etc. as well. Great stuff! There is some quality DIY CBT worksheets on the SMART website that helped me get over the hump when I hit 2-3 months.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Jamison - thanks for posting on cravings. I'm dealing with a doozy tonight and your post was the first one I clicked on. It's helping me already.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"If anyone who does AA has any tips I would welcome them."

Suggestions? Here we go...
Go with an open mind. Get a sponsor with a good amount of sobriety >5 years. Work the steps asap and see what you think. Don't get hung up on the god thing, most people can find a meaningful HP that makes sense to them. Log onto the niaa website and read about different treatment methodologies. Welcome to the journey.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamison View Post

If anyone who does AA has any tips I would welcome them.
Like ElegantlyWasted said: Go with an open mind. Try different meetings as well to find a place where you're comfortable (sometimes called a "home group"). Socialize...it's great to have someone to call when cravings hit.

Have you tried SMART recovery? That article you posted is almost exactly what they teach. Useful, useful stuff.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Jamison,

I think , "go with an open mind" is a great suggestion too. It's comforting for me to know that the folks at AA are there as a group for a single purpose; ...to help those struggling with alcohol.

Since I'm early in sobriety, it helps me to just (try to ) relax , and listen. They (AA meetings) can be very diverse in their nature, ... from meeting to meeting [same group.]
That's (only) one thing that makes them damn interesting, usually.

Just my impression. I hope you'll find them as helpful as I have.

Congrats on the 7 days.