Notices

Obsession Removed

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Obsession Removed

I'm just coming up on my 60 days sober. I feel great, and only thanks to support groups like AA and SR. I've taken all the advise thrown at me, sponsor, prayer, regular attendance at meetings (2-3 per day). The obsession with alcohol has finally passed, gone away. It's absolutely wonderful. I'm not on a pink cloud, though have been before in recovery, this is more of a large pressure being lifted from my shoulders, and I rarely think of alcohol throughout my day. Sometimes I do, but it passes, and is not something I dwell on for longer than a few minutes at most.

I'm wondering and almost waiting now for the other shoe to drop. Like this is too good to continue, or last. I hate to bring negative thinking into my own life, but sometimes I just can't help it. I almost feel undeserving of this relief of burden from my life. I continue to pray to my higher power to keep me from falling, and to take away the obsession of alcohol, and so far it's working. I just hope that it continues on this path, and I don't fall. I keep reading posters in this forum who've picked up again, and I can't help but think to myself, when will that be me?

Perhaps I should think about today, only, and quit projecting into the future, and stay focused on 1 day at a time, but I needed to throw up in here, and get all this out, it will help I know. Thanks all for reading,

-Lith
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, Lith,

Congrats on your 60 days, and BIG congrats on having the obsession lifted. I know what you mean, I still have problems in my life, and don't feel "happy, joyous and free" every day, but man, it sure is nice not to be craving a drink!

I'm not exactly sure why it is that for some of us the obsession goes away so fast (mine was gone the first week, and hasn't come back), and for others it takes much, much longer.

Appreciate it, don't take it for granted. I always figure some day mine may come back, and I hope to be ready for it when it does.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lith,
You sound like you're doing a lot of things right this time.

I felt a little worried myself during my second month, thinking , why is my compulsion to drink virtually gone. Well, it wasn't long before I did have some things that life invariably throws at ya, ....and , thank goodness I was sober , trying my best to work through.

It's a delicate balance really ? The "taking away " of certain incredibly devastating "poisions" ; while proactively "adding" some things in our recovery. [support / AA, SR ]

Congratulations on your time !!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I wouldn't complain, Lith! (and I know you're not!)..... It's great that you have no desire anymore. I haven't been quite so fortunate, because I still get those desires/urges. BUT I will say that as time goes on, they're much less frequent. I had some urges tonight (after 87 days), but the last time it came up was weeks ago. So, really, that's not bad at all considering the first few weeks I was sober I thought about it day and night.

I remember the same thing when I quit smoking a couple years ago (quit for 8 months then started back). The more time, the less the obsession.

Progress.......
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

You're doing great, Lithobid! Don't even let your mind think about things like drinking in the future. You're right, you just need to focus on today, this moment, right now. Thanks for checking in and keep it up with AA & SR. I've found that to be a powerful combination!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm wondering and almost waiting now for the other shoe to drop. Like this is too good to continue, or last. I hate to bring negative thinking into my own life, but sometimes I just can't help it. I almost feel undeserving of this relief of burden from my life. I continue to pray to my higher power to keep me from falling, and to take away the obsession of alcohol, and so far it's working. I just hope that it continues on this path, and I don't fall. I keep reading posters in this forum who've picked up again, and I can't help but think to myself, when will that be me?
That right there is where I was at 60-90 days.

Easier said than done but try not let your mind hit you with the impending doom stuff. I always needed a problem to feel good in sobriety. Way that I would describe it is this.

I have read that astronauts would have a problem and then say "that was the glitch for this mission", once the glitch was over then they were all set. Well that was me, needed to have a problem in the day so I could feel okay. I once said that I wish every morning could start out with a flat tire so I could then go on and enjoy the day without waiting for something to happen.

I have moved on from that way of thinking somewhat, how? For me, it was time, God, and AA. And a sponsor who educated me that the only thing that causes me problems is my mind. Gave me some outside AA literature that helped.

When I live in the now it is so much better.

Awesome post and thanks for allowing me to identify.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Lith!!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Lith

I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall too...and it hasn't yet....
If I work on this sobriety stuff (and on me) everyday...I figure I'm ready for anything

D
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sober time....

For me...it was when God removed my obcession to drink
That miracle shifted me into a new plane of recovery..

I was working with an elder care agency
My new patient was bed fast with dementia
There were just the 2 of us in her home at night.

At her insistance I went looking in the dining room
for a small sterling bell.

I looked all around...no bell.
I open a door and.....

Geez! a closet full of cases of alcohol!
Some open bottles and the bell.

Even tho I had been sober for 3 years
Hadn't really thought often of drinking.
finished my Steps and was active in AA
but...
my immediate thought was

"No one would ever know"

I grabbed the bell
slammed the door and fell on my knees

"Help me God... She needs me .. I so want to drink"

Zap! I felt a warm sense of divine pressence.
A deep knowing I was not to drink again.

Impossible to describe but for me
it was a psychic event. A God shot......
Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yer man. It's good when you realise that there simply is no feeling towards alcohol or drugs anymore. I used to get to 2/3 weeks without a drink and be absolutely gagging to get f*cked up. I would feel restless, edgy, anxious and be able to think about nothing else than buying some cans and raling them and feel that booze hit my bloodstream and me 'zone out'.

It's great to not have that obsession and compulsion to drink anmymore. I never get complacent though and I am always conscious that it's merely a daily reprieve. But if I do my thing and live how I need to live then It's all gravy.

Try not to worry about the what ifs? and all of that. keep your mind and thinking in the present day. You're doing well and should feel proud.

Increase The Peace
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratualations Lithoid!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Lith,

It's good to hear you are sober and no longer bothered by alcohol. The promises to have the obsession to drink removed are at Step 10. It also ends those promises with saying "This is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition"

Originally Posted by Lithobid View Post
I continue to pray to my higher power to keep me from falling, and to take away the obsession of alcohol, and so far it's working. -Lith
Step 11 follows with a caution about how we pray....

We ask especially for freedom from self-will, and are careful to make no request for ourselves only. We may ask for ourselves, however, if others will be helpe . We are careful never to pray for our own selfish ends. Many of us have wasted a lot of time doing that and it doesn't work. You can easily see why. ~ p87
See Carol's post where she demonstrated this by saying "she needs me"

There's always something we can do to keep in fit spiritual condition. There's always some way we can grow and there is always more we can learn. Keep working at it.

Trust God, clean house, help others.

Don't forget to trust God