Notices

New to the forums - I need help

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forums - I need help

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and have joined because I have decided I really need help. I haven't made very many bad decision in my life but letting myself drink this long as been the biggest mistake I've ever made. I'm 25 and was a heavy weekend drinking 19-21,22? and the past 3-4 years I've been going all out everyday, haven't missed a single one. My drinking is funded by a very good job that I do have and do well at, however it can be stressful on a good day and drinking seemed to be my way out every night and weekend. My drink of choice was always beer, and I've consuming 15, sometimes 20 within 5-6 hours as I still work.

This past Saturday July 24th was my last drink, it hasn't even been two full days and the withdrawal symptoms are crazy. My body is going through some big changes/shocks, I can't sleep although I don't feel tired. When I do doze off for a bit I have very vivid dreams, wake up shaking and just covered in sweat. Horrible headaches throughout the day today while at work although I'm feeling a bit better this evening.

My the past two days have been to get tons of good foods and vitamins in me as I'm sure my body is severely malnourished. As I'm sitting typing this I have a crazy urge to go grab a drink, which is why I've just joined, I'm hoping to find some support out there.

My family is not aware of my problem and I want to be clean so they never need to know this side of me so I cant reach out to them for support. And for my friends, well because of the lifestyle i've chosen over the past few years my friends just happen to also be the heavy daily drinking type. I feel a bit on my own right now. I assume symptoms over the next few days/weeks are going to worsen? Thankfully I've never tried or done any other drugs so I just have this one battle to fight.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

gcc,
you'll find plenty of support here, ....my symptoms were very similiar to yours. The great news is they didn't last forever ! .....just felt like they would during the first week. Hang in there, ...it is so well worth it !!!!!

Welcome to SR

Grateful to be sober today in Carolina.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you decided to join and to post. You'll find a lot of support here. Lot's of people smarter and wiser than me that can help you along the way. All I know is that quitting drinking and pursuing a sober life was an excellent decision for me. Not always easy but nothing of value is. It is totally worth it in my opinion. Wishing you all the best.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also wanted to congratulate you on your first two days. That alone is a good start and a good accomplishment. Please don't be slow about seeking help when you need it. Strange thing about this disease is that you very often help others as you seek help for yourself. Probably why we are all on here reading : )
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You can do this. Know that your willingness in indispensable! Keep posting and reading. Join us and find solid hope!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on deciding to get rid of alcohol...you should also be grateful you are coming to that realization now, instead of 20 years down the line:-)

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

As for physical symptoms, while everyone is different, it seems the consensus is the first 3 days are the worst and then you gradually start to feel better. This was my experience as well:-)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey there, welcome, and congrats on making a decision you will appreciate for the rest of your life.

The withdrawal symptoms should start letting up in another day or two, though a lot of us have a few problems with sleeping, in particular, for a bit longer--sometimes up to a few weeks. It will pass.

You are doing all the right things--eating, taking vitamins, drinking lots of water is good too.

You may want to check out AA--the support here is good, but a lot of us find the face-to-face support invaluable. You will probably eventually want to talk to your family about your recovery, but get through the first stages first, if it's too hard to do right now.

You also should consider not hanging out with your drinking friends WHILE they are drinking, at least for awhile. Get yourself on good, firm ground first.

Sober life is great!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

welcome gcc - congratulations on choosing a better life for yourself. We definitely know where you're coming from and I feel for you going through the first few days - it's not fun. It's worth it tho......... The only thing is, there's a risk of DT's/seizures that can happen a few days into withdrawal, so if you think there's any chance of this, please see a doctor.

Glad you're here, though. We can't do this without support, and you've come to a great place!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

gcc, welcome to our community! Lots of really cool people with tons to share with you.

First, detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. If you have the means, it would be a good idea to speak with a physician about what you're doing (which is great, by the way).

When I was 25, I went through detox at a rehab facility and outpatient counseling, followed by a short stint in AA. I stopped drinking for 5 weeks, and wish I had never gone back to drinking. 4 years later, I had lost a couple jobs, gotten 2 DUIs, and damaged some relationships, including with my fiancee. Some people say that whatever you go through makes you a better person, and I'm thankful for the person I am today, but I have trouble seeing how not being serious about my recovery 4 years ago is a good thing. So I hope you're able to stick with it.

4 years later, I've gone 4 months without a drink. This site has been tremendous in helping me recover from the obsession to drink (I like AA as well). The people here that share their wisdom and experience are absolutely amazing. If you're looking for help and support, you've found the right place. Please check in and let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome gcc572

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

Like others have said, it's often a good idea to check with your Dr...detox is fine for most people, but some people, including myself, have had some problems.

It's always better to be safe than sorry

D
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By not drinking....you will find a healthier way of life...
I'm glad you are quitting so young!

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gcc...
First of all welcome and congratulations for realising you have a problem and deciding to do something about it!

I hope today is a better day for you. whatever happened after you posted please keep posting. A lot about alcohol is understanding what is happening to you. I quitted drinking when I was in my late twenties for the first time. I knew very little about addiction and alcohol. I only knew I was developping a problem, I could see the tremor in my hands although I was not sure this was due to the alcohol. I did not know enough. So I quitted drinking but many tools were not there for me to deal with it.

Understanding yourself, your symptoms, your cravings, will be a very important part of the implementation of the decision to quit. SR is a great group of people.

Bests of lucks!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you all for such a warm welcome all the encouraging words. They honestly go along way and everyone of you just got my day off to a better start with the added support and confidence this just gave me. I will keep you all posted on my recovery, I can already tell I'll be on this site for a long time to come.

Last night symptoms worsened but now that it is morning I feel like I can pull through another day, I'm just hoping tonight sleep will come. And I'll take the advice, i'll be going to see a doctor in the next day or 2 if symptoms continue to worsen.

Thanks again everyone, your support just now has given me a big confidence boost.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but if you have a health food store nearby, see if you can pick up some tryptophan and melatonin....they can help you sleep, and IMO, it's always better to at least try the all natural approach before going to drugs:-)

Have a great day!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wlelcome to SR. The first week is like that, I am at 3 weeks today and I promise you that nasty stuff clears up. A few more days and you will be through it. Just remember this, if you slip up and start again, even for just one day, you will have to detox all over again and it gets worse each time if you can imagine that! Take it one day at a time, when you wake up say to yourself I am not drinking today. Deal with that day and handle the next one the same way. I was just like you, beer 24/7. I am in a psotion where I can drink at work and I did, for 15 years!!! Hang in there, I assure you it gets better, a lot better than drinking will ever be.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome gcc you have made a great decision! Everyone is right, all of that will pass. I have only been in this forum one day and can tell you, everyone here is backing you 100%
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

gcc, one thing I tried to do while detoxing this last time was embrace the craziness. That may sound strange, but the shakes, the sweats, the inability to sleep...I kept in mind that all of these things were due to the alcohol leaving my system. I reasoned that if these were things I had to go through to get that nastiness out of my body, then they must be good and necessary, even if they were causing me distress. So as I lay in my bed at 3am sweating profusely, I tried only to thank my God for what I was going through, because I knew I would feel so much better on the other end of it.

That said, it's nothing I want to go through again. The thought alone of having to experience another detox period is motivation enough for me not to go back to the bottle. I hope you have a good day today, and try as hard as you can to turn the negatives into positives. A lot of recovery, and especially early on, is based on your mindset. We're all here for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums of SoberRecovery Gcc and you also SoberJune. You definitely will find a lot of caring and helpful people here. Knowing that you have a problem and wanting to do something about it is a very good start.

I was fortunate that I didn't go through withdrawals and I can't even imagine what they are like. But I have listened to many people who had the dt's and have even seen some of them myself. It is not a pretty sight. And from what I heard, anyone that is having bad symptoms should see a doctor and let a doctor decide if you need to be elswhere than by yourself.

As time goes on though, things do get better. For myself I went to face to face meetings and sought help through the fellowship and the program of AA. After a time I found that there is more to it than just putting the bottle down.

Keep coming and stick around. Share what you have to share for you can even help people like me. Hope to see more of your shares.

God bless,

Harry
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome GC !!

Listen to the other posters here about detox, seek help if it gets bad. Anyway, the bad part lasts usually less than a week, so you will be okay in the end!

I wanted to touch on the point where you say your family doesn't know so can't be of help. When I first stopped I thought the same thing... there are posts somewhere around here on SR with the story... I had to tell my children. I was so embarrassed and worried what they would think! Well, logically enough, it was no surprise for them. All the sneaky drinking I was doing was not so sneaky and they knew exactly what was going on. So, if you have been around your family when drinking... they know. My kids were so relieved when I told them, one of them broke down in tears he was so happy with my decision.

I went to visit him a few weeks ago (just for a week) and when I returned home I had an email waiting for me... it said. Thanks mom, it is so wonderful to have you back. It is pretty obvious what he meant.

So GC, you may have allies in your family, don't discount it!

Be strong, we are all here to support you in your journey!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
Listen to the other posters here about detox, seek help if it gets bad. Anyway, the bad part lasts usually less than a week, so you will be okay in the end!

I wanted to touch on the point where you say your family doesn't know so can't be of help. When I first stopped I thought the same thing... there are posts somewhere around here on SR with the story... I had to tell my children. I was so embarrassed and worried what they would think! Well, logically enough, it was no surprise for them. All the sneaky drinking I was doing was not so sneaky and they knew exactly what was going on. So, if you have been around your family when drinking... they know. My kids were so relieved when I told them, one of them broke down in tears he was so happy with my decision.

I went to visit him a few weeks ago (just for a week) and when I returned home I had an email waiting for me... it said. Thanks mom, it is so wonderful to have you back. It is pretty obvious what he meant.

So GC, you may have allies in your family, don't discount it!

Be strong, we are all here to support you in your journey!
Great to hear you are doing well, I'm very happy for you! I know my family would help me along but I don't want to stress my parents out as they have a lot of other things to be worrying about right now. I'm not sure if they have any idea what kind of state i've found myself in, I only see them a couple times a month and its when I drive out to visit so I havent been drinking yet that day, although I'm sure I look terrible... I'm only on day 3 of being sober and one of my coworkers commented today on how great i'm looking, and I can even see it myself, I don't even look like the same person and it's only been three days... That was a huge pick me up today and evening seeing it myself. I literally didnt go a day without not remembierng going to bed at night for 3years so I'm sure I was looking pretty rough. Today was a good day, hopefully the detox symptoms will be easy on me tonight and I can get tomorrow off to a good start.

Thanks to all you have posted, it goes along way, I feel I would have been back to my old self by today If I hadnt of come across this site.