Notices

Hi. I'm new.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm new.

This feels really strange as I never thought I would be in a position to say anything like this or to post on a forum like this, but here I am.

This is my second full day of not drinking. I can't remember the last time I strung two non-drinking days together, but I know it's been several months.

While I am not sure I feel comfortable labeling myself an alcoholic, I do know for certain that I have a drinking problem, and I guess it amounts to the same thing, since either way I know I need to do something about it. I am also at a point where I think I am tired of trying to solve the problem by drinking "moderately." It hasn't worked for me in the past. I think I am finally at a point where I'm ready to accept the idea of quitting entirely.

I am also feeling some nausea tonight that I think might be related to alcohol withdrawal, which is a bit scary but only reinforces my decision.

That's probably enough personal revelations for a first post. Glad to meet you all.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Doesn't matter what you call yourself.. if you think your life is better sober, well there ya go. Lots of us came to the same conclusion.. and here we are Welcome!!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, SBTS!

There's a lot of info here about alcohol abuse/alcoholism and recovery. Surf around a bit and read up.

I second what smacked said. Life's a lot saner and better, sober.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, but I can already say that by and large this is a very warm group of genuinely nice people who help each other.

Personally, I don't care muh for labels in any aspect of my life...if you want to be done with alcohol and you want advice and support, you've come to the right place:-)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I felt really strange typing out my first post, too, soberbythesea (love your name by the way!). I think you'll find that it's a relief to talk about it though, especially with people who understand what you're going through.

I wouldn't worry too much about the term "alcoholic" - we're all here with different drinking patterns and experiences, but with a common goal - to help each other live a better life without drinking. I tried for years to moderate and found that it was impossible to achieve for any extended period of time.

I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable as you read and post and get to know some of us. Glad you're here!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, sbt.

I'm on Day 12 and I have a hang-up with the "A" word (for me, it's about the obsolete judgmental ideas surrounding that word). It was getting in the way of doing something about it, so for right now, I'm just calling it "my problem" and not drinking and I'll revisit the idea later.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=soberbythesea;2661517]
While I am not sure I feel comfortable labeling myself an alcoholic, I do know for certain that I have a drinking problem, and I guess it amounts to the same thing, since either way I know I need to do something about it. I am also at a point where I think I am tired of trying to solve the problem by drinking "moderately." It hasn't worked for me in the past. I think I am finally at a point where I'm ready to accept the idea of quitting entirely.

QUOTE]

Welcome to SR , SBTS !

I tried drinking "moderately" too for some time. Always proved futile eventually. Quitting 100% has been the best thing for me the last 100+ days. Just coming and reading here at SR has made the last several months so much more enjoyable. Not that every day in recovery is rosey, ...but handling life sober is worth all the effort,

again, ...welcome, and keep us posted how your progress is going.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I hope your de tox goes smoothly....
It's risky to do withdrawls without medical assistance.

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Morning and welcome to S.R.

I also have an issue with the 'A' word, however I do realise now that that is what I am!

I'm in my 6th week and loving sobriety. Don't want to go back to that person I was before. I feel so much better now.

You will find loads of support here. We're all in the same boat for different reasons and you will make some good friends. Keep posting and be strong. You really can do this.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You have plenty of support here and lots of useful resources.

I was never much for labels but the fact is that you are making positive change.

All the best!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome....take care oke?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pib

Welcome,
I'm fairly new here at S.R. as well but not to recovery. I think these online sites are great. I was afraid to go for help and so I remained in a confused state for a number of years. I, too, had a problem calling myself "alcoholic" I thought an alcoholic was a deplorable mess of a person and did not want to be that.
I had a person explain to me that an alcoholic was a drunk who was trying to do something about it. This is putting the positive to the negative. Now I have no problem but it took me about 5 years to reach this point.
Enjoy the good days and remember the hard times to get there.
Pib
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sober by the sea!

You have found a good place for support! Take it easy these first few days and if the detox gets rough, call a doctor. It can be dangerous going it alone.

Read around the forum and see others experiences. They will help you a lot to stay sober.

Call yourself what you want, it doesn't matter... Alcoholic is such a nasty word, so let's get the alcohol out of our system and leave it behind!

Be strong, don't give up!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, I just joined too..........breathe
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome from another new member. Just work on getting through a week with no drink and then worry about where you think you stand and what kind of path you need to take. I know it sounds tired, but taking it one day at a time is what you have to do. Something that has helped me get through almost 3 weeks now is when I think I want to drink I just ask myself when was the last time I drank and it had a happy ending? It seems happy after the first few beers but then it becomes just another grief filled bad experience. Best wishes to you, keep reading/posting here!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Welcome. Glad you're here.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all so much, for the words of welcome and wisdom. Day 3 and going strong. I'm feeling better now -- I was very headache-y, nauseated and tired for the past day or so, but now I feel good.

It's harder at night because that's when I used to drink, like many of you I'm sure. For the most part I haven't craved alcohol over the last couple of days, but there have already been times when I momentarily want to reach for some out of habit, like when I get home from work or when I finish a difficult task. Right now i'm about to have dinner and the thought of not having wine with my food is still weird. In recent months, I used to start in on the wine immediately when I got home from work, and I'd be already on my third glass by the time we'd start eating. I would gulp the first couple of glasses down quickly to feel the effects because my tolerance is so built up now that 1 or 2 glasses doesn't do anything anymore.

Not anymore though. I'm working on a list of all the stupid/mean/regrettable things i can remember doing while drunk. Not to beat myself up but so I can remember why I stopped if I ever want to drink again in the future.

See you all around the forums

-- soberbythesea
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing well! Congrats and keep up the good work! I had a hard time myself figuring out what to drink with meals, because I categorically do not drink cola, or any soda with the exception of the rare Tonic Water or Ginger Ale.

I actually found a glass of milk with dinner my favorite beverage...I'm back to being a school kid;-)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks LaFemme, unfortunately I love cola! I should cut down but for now, I'm telling myself any beverage is OK as long as it doesn't have alcohol. I do find water makes me feel best, though. I drank a ton of water today, and felt better than any other day the past few days.

Day 4!