Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Why do hangovers change or feel different the longer you drink?

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been reading the boards a lot lately and many have mentioned that their hangovers got worse the longer they drank. Looking back that was happening to me too. I could wake up and feel OK, but as the morning moved along I would feel worse, or dizzy - unable to concentrate etc.

Any ideas why this happens? I would like to hear others experiences...
Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question! I would love to know why as well.

I would hazard a guess that it is because we drink more and more. And maybe our bodies get to the point where they just can't take it anymore. But those are just guesses.

It certainly was the case for me!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like me, too. My best guess -- and it is a guess -- is that our bodies are starting to go through withdrawal. Until I had that next drink, I would feel crappy, or "off." Once I had a glass of wine or whatever, I would feel "normal" again. At least until I had too many, then I was just drunk again.

Repeat cycle daily. This is what lead me to drink more often during the day, just trying to get past the hungover feeling.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, yes, I drank more, gradually over time, so I felt worse and worse. Plus the physical effects on my body became more and more evident.

Just know that you don't have to go through another hangover.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think just over the years our bodies just can't take it anymore...we process things differently as we age...I know my hangovers were brutal!! not like when I was a teenager or in my 20's..... glad I don't worry about that anymore!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I believe part of it has to do with the depletion of B-vitamins in the liver. (I should probably note that it's been a long time since I read up on this, so I might be off.) The more we drink, the more we deplete the detoxifying substances that are normally stored in our bodies, and the more toxins slip through the filters. More toxins = worse hangovers. That's my understanding, anyway.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
I think just over the years our bodies just can't take it anymore...we process things differently as we age...I know my hangovers were brutal!! not like when I was a teenager or in my 20's..... glad I don't worry about that anymore!!!
Age gets my vote also. Yea my hangovers always sucked but in my 40's they were savage! I think the hangovers were my main reason for quitting.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The hangovers are quite different from when you're 20 vs almost 50. I recall headaches and gut rot in my 20's but now that I'm 49, the hangovers are beyond painful with the shakes, gut rot, heart palpitation, anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, nausea, etc.....

I have to agree with TellUs on the B-12 since I took 2000mg / day the first three days of detox. Perhaps that had an impact on my w/d's not dragging out past three days.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting point Fritz. After 24-1/2 years of drinking my hangovers were worse than ever - and I was always notorious for really bad hangovers. I'm thinking now though that those hangovers might be a blessing. If I recovered quickly it might be a little to easy to keep doing.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patman View Post
Interesting point Fritz. After 24-1/2 years of drinking my hangovers were worse than ever - and I was always notorious for really bad hangovers. I'm thinking now though that those hangovers might be a blessing. If I recovered quickly it might be a little to easy to keep doing.
Yeah, I was one of the ones who never got a hangover...at this point I consider it a curse....as soon as I started getting hangovers I got real motivated to get sober!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by Fritz66 View Post
I have been reading the boards a lot lately and many have mentioned that their hangovers got worse the longer they drank. Looking back that was happening to me too. I could wake up and feel OK, but as the morning moved along I would feel worse, or dizzy - unable to concentrate etc.

Any ideas why this happens? I would like to hear others experiences...
I think for a lot of people, myself included, we can pinpoint the cause to one word: ageing.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me it was too many years of excessive drinking and it was damaging my body. I would progressively drink more and more and yes at the end I was drinking about 1.5 liters of booze a day or (2) 1.75 bottles of wine a day.

In the last few years of drinking it was spent usually puking and drinking and puking and drinking. I was quite the closet drinker because I was a pretty disgusting site and really could no longer drink around others.

My hangovers became panic attacks filled with shaking and sweating and nausea and aches and pains. I felt like I was dying and drinking the morning after was more of a....its gotta be better then this. Yeah withdrawals or alcohol poisoning.

All I know is that over time heavy booze with kill you. I thank everyday I am sober and no longer living that hell.