Notices

Media's role in our perceptions about alcohol

Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Media's role in our perceptions about alcohol

OK, first an apology for being a really big geek;-)

But for a long time now I have been noticing the role that media and the arts plays in our perceptions about alcohol.

I remember when I first started drinking, I thought I was so cool, sophisticated and adult (I was getting this from somewhere, in addition to from the home). I mean come on, all the movies and TV shows portray drinking as something fabulous. Let's be honest here, even for people who aren't in our situation, what is so great about booze??? A lot of people start out as normal drinkers and progress to alcoholics.

Here's an example...the Harry Potter movies...In the Order of the Phoenix, when the characters are 15, they are having wine with dinner on Christmas eve. The next movie, they drink Butter Beer and wine again. As far as I know these movies don't have ratings that take into account underage drinking.

The truth is very few movies portray drinking in a negative light, yet 1 in 10 drinkers ends up an alcoholic.

Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My thought is you're a really big geek, I mean big time.....kidding!! Yeah, I have always noticed that and when you're not drinking you really notice it. I had DVR'd like 7 different TV shows/movies this past week and watched them this w-e.. I'd sware every 5 minutes there would be a scene at a bar or drinking at someones house. Just part of the culture I guess. I just remind myself how phony TV/movies are anyway...They all drink all day w-out a problem the same way they never wear the same clothes twice and ther cars are always spotless!!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was wanting the city lifestyles I saw in movies
That certainly included cigarettes and alcohol
As soon as possible....I eagerly rushed right in.

No...I could not move to a city then or swank around
in long evening gowns.....but
I certanly could sneak around to drink and smoke.

I absolutely know movies influenced me...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The kids in HP weren't getting loaded on it, though. They weren't glorifying getting high (except on broomsticks).

I dunno, it's an issue I don't think much about. When people can drink responsibly, good for them. I enjoyed it responsibly for part of my life, and now I can't. I don't miss it. The media doesn't create alcoholism.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wasn't saying the media creates alcoholism, but they do play a role in the pervasiveness of alcohol in society.

I know that I found the image of being a drinker and smoker to be very seductive for a long time. Even though I hated the taste of both. I lived in NYC in my early 20's and loved going to the hippest spot, drinking my "Kir Royals" (great name no?) and smoking my "Cartier" cigaretts (bet you didn't even know they made cig's!). I was living the glamorous life that you always saw on TV and Movies and read about in magazines and books.

In the HP movies, I don't really care if they are getting loaded or not, a person who is portrayed as a Hero drinking at the age of 15 is sending a disturbing message. After all, everyone starts as a casual drinker on some level. Anyway I was using them as an example.

I remember reading Ernest Hemingway (geek, I know;-) and there is a line about "Being a good Drunk", even though I was a teenager and didn't drink at the time, I thought that might be a good thing to aspire to. "Mike was a bad drunk. Brett was a good drunk." The Sun Also Rises...I wanted to be like Brett (who was female despite the name:-)

The way popular culture portrays alcohol and people who are alcoholics is interesting. Someone posted here the other day how "alcoholics" are bad people. IMO alcoholics aren't bad people, they aren't people living in cardboard boxes in our cities (although some are), they are our neighbors our co-workers are friends and family. They have a serious problem, and some of them let that problem turn them into horrible abusive people. But most alcoholics are good people, IMO.

I wasn't starting this thread to shift blame, merely to discuss,, if anyone is interested, how alcohol is viewed and portrayed in society.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that it's a pervasive theme in media. But, like you said, it goes across the board–no one makes drinking sound quite as romantic as writers like Hemingway, Fitzgerald. Definitely not lost on my younger self–I thought drinking was part of being adult, literary, sophisticated. Anyway, now a grown-up in recovery, I find it helpful to remind myself that while the characters in the books always made drinking look fantastic, the authors themselves are quite another story–dying at 40-something a la Fitzgerald or committing suicide like Hemingway aren't exactly inspiring. Also, another thing I remind myself of is that SO MANY of the movie and TV actors enjoying drinking on TV or in movies are in fact recovering alcoholics in real life. Maybe it's silly that I go to the trouble to think these things, but it's a helpful reminder that the sexy, feel-good, sophistication of drinking is, in so many ways, a fantasy.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had always assumed that the Harry Potter 'Butterbeer' was like ginger beer and contained a negligable amount of alcohol. It's also not uncommon (or illegal) for most youngsters to drink wine with a meal in Europe.

Alcohol has to be marketed as 'fun' and 'cool' as it has little else significant going for it. A small amount of wine may improve the memory and heart slightly but that wouldn't make a successful marketing campaign.
I remember not understanding alcohol at ALL when I was tiny - it tasted like pee, made you throw up, embarrass yourself and feel **** in the morning. After a few times I discovered it was 'fun' but it still wasn't worth it to me. It took advertising, peers, movies etc and the 'cool' factor to make drinking a worthwhile and desirable option to me as a kid.

I really notice the desperation in alcohol adverts nowadays. It has gone the way of junk food and smoking and the only angle they have left to pimp it with is the rebelious 'cool' image. People at any age don't like being told what to do with their lives and their bodies and they're always afraid of missing out on this fantasy life commercials show us.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by solareclipse View Post
I agree that it's a pervasive theme in media. But, like you said, it goes across the board–no one makes drinking sound quite as romantic as writers like Hemingway, Fitzgerald. Definitely not lost on my younger self–I thought drinking was part of being adult, literary, sophisticated. Anyway, now a grown-up in recovery, I find it helpful to remind myself that while the characters in the books always made drinking look fantastic, the authors themselves are quite another story–dying at 40-something a la Fitzgerald or committing suicide like Hemingway aren't exactly inspiring. Also, another thing I remind myself of is that SO MANY of the movie and TV actors enjoying drinking on TV or in movies are in fact recovering alcoholics in real life. Maybe it's silly that I go to the trouble to think these things, but it's a helpful reminder that the sexy, feel-good, sophistication of drinking is, in so many ways, a fantasy.
You put it into words so much better than I did...thanks!

Add to the list artists, the whole myth of the tortured artist pisses me off...I think at one time I thought that drinking was part of the territory of being an artist.

That said, I used these things as excuses, I'm not letting myself off the hook, but still, society makes it so easy to glamorize drinking.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tabacco companies have been ripped to shreds for 40 years about "false and misleading advertisements" . In the 90's a multy billion dollar settlement was paid to the goverment. Tha taxes levied on cigarettes are unreal...WTF!
When it comes to alcohol....you can hear crickets chirp. What is any more "false and misleading" than beer commercials? What drug is at the root of more devastation than alcohol
Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((LaFemme)) I think another area that has a big impact on KIDS, today, is the musicm both with alcohol and drugs. I'm way too old to listen to hip-hop and rap, but being on the streets when I was on crack, I really like it. My almost-17-year-old niece also loves it.

She couldn't understand why, when I took her to an hours-long concert with many of our favorite singers, that one wasn't allowed to "get out of jail" to come to the concert She thinks that they always get "away with stuff' because they're rich and famous. I was more than glad to point out that at some point, it doesn't matter HOW much money you have, HOW famous you are, you are going to pay the consequences.

On a good note, is that a few of the hip-hop stars have been through some pretty tough consequences are are now writing/performing songs about being "clean" and leaving the old life behind.

I can imagine that an alcoholic would notice this stuff more, at least early on. However, I've got 3+ years clean, and I still change the channel if I see someone smoking crack on TV. I do believe the media has greatly influenced my niece, and not always in a good way.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-25-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Tabacco companies have been ripped to shreds for 40 years about "false and misleading advertisements" . In the 90's a multy billion dollar settlement was paid to the goverment. Tha taxes levied on cigarettes are unreal...WTF!
When it comes to alcohol....you can hear crickets chirp. What is any more "false and misleading" than beer commercials? What drug is at the root of more devastation than alcohol
Excellent point! Alcohol is the most dangerous drug around and it's legal.

Impurrfect - Unfortunately a lot of actors don't have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Look at Lindsay Lohan, who will probably only serve 2 weeks of her 90 days. If she had been anyone else she would have been in jail a lot earlier and a lot longer!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree that drinking is romanticized on TV all the time.

But, the media is also used by people in the news, who are recovering addicts and living wonderful lives. I think it's always so positive when someone in the public eye speaks out and shows society what an addict looks like and what he/she can accomplish. Robert Downey Jr comes to mind, as do many others who speak out.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Impurrfect - Unfortunately a lot of actors don't have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Look at Lindsay Lohan, who will probably only serve 2 weeks of her 90 days. If she had been anyone else she would have been in jail a lot earlier and a lot longer!
An AA oldtimer who spent 8 years in prison told a 21 year old kid this at a meeting.
"THERE ARE NO FREE DRINKS"!
I believe that especially for alcoholics. Everyones' bill has to be paid at some point no matter what their status.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't doubt the movies TV and music play a big role in making drink and drugs look attractive...but to be honest my alcoholic influences were writers - Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Brendan Behan, Dylan Thomas...

The thing is, none of them 'made' me alcoholic. I did that - whether it was my nature, nurture, genetics, choices, or what.

It's sometimes hard to remember when we spend a lot of time on SR, but I think most people in the world drink responsibly.

D
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((LaFemme)) - I admit, I was pretty disheartened to see Lindsey get no more time than she is, BUT she is now portrayed as a pitiful party girl who can't get her **** together. My niece has even said she never wants to "get like Lindsey..yuk!!!"

We have a media campaign against meth, going on right now, in GA. It's pretty heavy stuff, and mostly focuses on the young kids. Will it have an impact? I don't know. I know that before I got started on crack, I was terrified of it. Yet, I still got hooked on it. I believe I was meant to find my own path to recovery, and if my niece gets into trouble, I pray I'm strong enough to let her find HER way to recovery without interfering.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
The kids in HP weren't getting loaded on it, though. They weren't glorifying getting high (except on broomsticks).

I dunno, it's an issue I don't think much about. When people can drink responsibly, good for them. I enjoyed it responsibly for part of my life, and now I can't. I don't miss it. The media doesn't create alcoholism.
One of the highest rated and emmy winning shows, "Mad Men" romanticisizes (sp). drinking in a big way....it is set in th 1960's when sexism, smoking and drinking were encouraged....they also litter freely.

the only beer commercials i see on TV focus on the calorie content...vodka and hard lemonade are portrayed as more responsible, sophisticated and fun(they play music in the subway and drink smirnoff).

wasn't there a time when alcohol ads were not allowed on tv? or am i mistaken?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post

wasn't there a time when alcohol ads were not allowed on tv? or am i mistaken?

Advertizing in the mass media can be ruthless sometimes, ....sadly, I guess the profit motivation trumps everything . Having heard for years, ( ...and I believe it !!! ) that our advertizers in the States are the best in the world; ....for effectiveness. (? at any cost ? ) Constantly promoting sugary crap to innocent kids in ads, then glamorizing sugar water (soda, beer, booze ) to unsuspecting young adults. It's really fascinating how the ads have progressed over the decades.

Like Fandy, I thought there was a time when liquor ads weren't allowed on tv, even when cig ads were still allowed ? I (think I ? ) remember when the cig ads were banned from magazine / newspaper print.

But , like everyone, it's hard for me to "blame" any slick ads for my out of control drinking .

...Like any movie, they (shows, ads,plays, cinema) all require us to "suspend our disbelief " to truly enjoy them. Our rational minds tell us the characters are all just actors, stunt men and woman, ....and nobody ever really gets killed, hurt etc. and nobodys' heart really gets broken; .....so the audience has to "suspend their disbelief " . Otherwise, no one would feel any emotion (fear , anger, empathy, etc) that the directors, actors, and producers are trying their best to accomplish.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cool thread....like Dee most of the alcoholics I idolised were writers - Bukowski being the main one! I remember snoop dogg bringing out that track Gin n Juice and suddenly everyone drank Gin though!

I still remember being on my first week of sobriety while watching a tv show one of the actors grabbed a bottle of vodka and drank straight from it. I was mortified! I remember thinking man im not even safe watching tv! It wasnt until sobriety that I started paying attention to alcohol's role in the media - the govt down here does a pretty good job now of portraying the harsh realities associated with alcohol and most drugs.....i dont recall that from my own youth though. I think they only really started clamping down on gen y. As for cigarettes......$17 a packet down here. I think ive paid for my entire towns healthcare 3 times over with that kinda tax! Its ludicrous.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's sometimes hard to remember when we spend a lot of time on SR, but I think most people in the world drink responsibly.

D
I'm pretty new to SR and sobriety...I actually don't think that most people drink responsibly...I also think that even "normal" drinkers often drink irresponsibly. The statistic is that 1 in 10 people who drink are alcoholic. And since alcoholism effects the whole family, not just the individual, I think it is a dangerous drug. Just my opinion though.

As for Alcohol education in the schools, I remember being told that if you can't go sober for 6 months you probably have a problem...that was all the warning I got in school...On the flip side we had someone come to our school to talk to us about her experiences with Cocaine, and it scared the sh@t out of me...I never touched drugs.

As for TV ads for alcohol, why would they limit it when you see ads on billboards as you drive down the road?

The alcohol lobby in the USA is powerful and rich...can you imagine if they had warning like the tobacco industry has to show, where they show diseased lungs from heavy tobacco users...imagine if the alcohol industry had to show diseased livers?!?!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Newsflash for ya, not everyone is an alcoholic. I think we tend to see it that way. Just sayin...