Notices

A gift I gave away...

Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A gift I gave away...

A Neighbour of mine brought me a Gift back from her Holiday two days ago...A Big Bottle of Duty Free Vodka, I thanked her but didnt mention the fact that I was Sober these days as not to offend.

I Gave it away to some-one who drinks very Moderately and who would probably only have a nip of it now and again ( unlike me, I would usually drink it all in one go)

After 16 days of being Sober , there is no way I can go back to that very sad place. I am just so relieved that my attitude has changed about the Drink! I have wasted too much of my life guzzling Alcohol to get wasted and letting life pass me by!

Thank you everyone for making me welcome here, it has been a Massive Help just reading your posts and knowing that Drinking has ruled me for many years.

I finally realised that I am an Alcoholic, I had denied it for so long. Its either all or nothing for me and I am pleased I chose Nothing!

" Nothing" has changed my life recently, I am not Craving for a drink anymore, I feel too good without it now and I aint changing that for NOTHING.

Thanks Guys, you have all been a Godsend xx
Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice one on seeing that Vodka for what it is to you; Poison.

It was all or nothing for me too. I would view a bottle of spirits as a session which simply isn't how most people view alcohol. Plus when the bottle had gone I would be back round the shop to go buy more. Not to mention how terrible I would feel and the anxiety and worry about my potential behaviour during the inevitable blackout.

It is a great feeling to accept and embrace your alcoholism rather than keeping yourself trapped in the misery of denial and rationalisation.

I know for me that the only drink I ever need to stay away from is the first one. One is too many and 1000000 never enough.

Grateful for being a recovering alcoholic.

peace
Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good show, getting rid of it. Just a temptation thats waaaayy too close by!! I was always a beer guy, just worked out that way I guess. But from time to time I'd drink a bottle of vodka and each and every single time I'd really blackout, usually a few hours would completely disappear. Scary stuff.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome, and now your giving away some of what you've found in sobriety, your experience, and we all benefit!

Mark
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Kitey!! Sounds like you've really seen the light and you're not about to turn back. So happy to see it when it happens. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good for you! Someone literally pressed a cold bottle of beer into my hand on day 4 of my sobriety (close to two years ago) after a sewer had backed up into my basement, completely flooding it. I turned it down.

What a great feeling that was! (Turning down the beer, the sewer backup was less than wonderful.) That's when I knew in my heart that this was going to work.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Happy to hear you were able to pass it along, Kitey. Most people in my life know that I don't drink these days, but I'd probably react much as you did in a similar situation; thank the person who gave it to you, and allow someone else to enjoy the gift. 16 days is a great start. And it only gets better. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good move Kitty....