Notices

6 Months Sober - What's Changed

Old 07-21-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Months Sober - What's Changed

I was asked what I've noticed about myself that has changed after being sober for 6 months. I wanted to answer that under a new thread as I think it's a really good topic of discussion and I'm hoping that others will add their experiences to this list.

To the newcomers (of which I still consider myself to be!), please take heart. I know that the early days are tough but the rewards are so worth it! Those aren't empty words. I 'white knuckled' it for awhile before my head really cleared and I found that alcohol no longer had the stranglehold on my life that it once did. I know I just wrote this yesterday, but don't quit before the miracle happens...and it WILL happen (not my words, but so true).

OK, here are the changes I've noticed in myself after being sober for 6 months:

1. Sleep - I mentioned that lack of sleep was my #1 concern when I decided to get sober. It turned out in the big picture to be a total non-issue. It took about a week or so but I did start sleeping normally again. Probably 2 weeks max before I started getting a full 8 hours. Now, I sleep like a baby as soon as my head hits the pillow. I of course still have those odd nights where I simply don't sleep well - I believe that's called being "alive". Sometimes that's just going to happen. Point is that when we our bodies are tired enough, we'll sleep.

2. Cravings - Slim to none. Every now and then it hits me that a drink sure would feel good right now. However, that quickly fades away due to #3.

3. Thinking PAST the First Drink - I've heard that you can tell when an alcoholic is going to relapse because they romantisize/fantasize about the first drink. Sure, that first drink felt dang good. The problem for me is that it never stopped there. It was like a starter's pistol went off in my head and I had to have more, more and more. That involved a lot of guilt, shame, 'why did I do that again' feelings the next morning, anxiety, hiding things from my wife/family....not a pretty picture. When I think past the first drink to the misery that it causes, the cravings faded really fast. That's what saved my bacon on more than one occassion.

4. My Anxiety Has Decreased - I have dealt with anxiety for a long, long time. I used alcohol to deal with my anxiety when all it did was increase it. I wouldn't deal with problems - I would just drink to forget my problems only to find those same issues facing me when I woke up the next morning (only increased because I didn't deal with them). Now, I try my best to deal with issues as they come up and what I've found out is that my fear of a problem is always greater than the problem itself. SO much better just to deal with the issue and move on.

5. I'm Sexy! - Well, not really but I feel much better than I did! In short, my work-out routine has increased and I feel and (my wife tells me) I look better than ever. I've dropped 15 lbs since I stopped drinking and I wasn't overweight to begin with. My energy level has also increased because of it.

6. Patience - I find that my wife can see things in me a lot quicker than I can. Anyways, she pointed out to me that I'm much more patient with the kids and I just seem more at peace. That I am and that's because I'm more at peace with myself (easy to do when you don't spend 24 hours a day hating yourself for what you have done, hiding things, etc).

7. Enjoyment - Somewhere along my alcoholic career I lost my joy of things like going to see movies, dinner with friends, playing with the kids, running, even going on vacations. All I wanted to do was isolate and drink. Somewhere over the past 6 months I've gotten my joy back of simply living life. I hadn't realized how depressed I had become until I started feeling good again about simply living.

8. Overall Confidence - Not in myself but in the fact that I have a God that is watching over me, that cares about me and that never gave up on me even when I had given up on myself. I hesitate to put this one on the list because I know how touchy of a subject this can be. However, I wouldn't be honest with myself and therefore with everyone else if I didn't include my relationship with God as the biggest change for me. I feel close to Him again and knowing that He is in control and that I don't have to be...it gives me a lot of peace.

9. One Day At A Time - This was preached to me from Day 1 and I know live by it. I'm convinced that we were designed to live life one day at a time. I stay sober by taking it one day at a time (sometimes 10 minutes at a time!). No problem seems too big when I just look at what's right in front of me and what the next right thing to do is. I've also found out that this is indeed the best way to tackle things. I short, I don't let my brain spin out of control and if I find myself letting this happen, I call someone. Simple as that.

Man, I know I'm leaving out so much! I also remember having the shakes and actually had some business meetings where I was doing everything I could to hide my shaking hands. That went away over the first 7-10 days of being sober. My triglyceride levels were through the roof and now they are 100% normal.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone out there. I hope others will add to this list with their own experiences. Remember that I'm only at 6 months sober and I'm already experiencing a total life change. I can't wait to see what the future holds as long as I don't screw it up by drinking again.

RacerX
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I sure understand the anxiety. Mine was made so much worse by drinking and a lot of it went away when I'd been sober for a while. What a difference.

The biggest thing I can think of right now is waking up not feeling sick as a dog and not hating myself - again - for going down that dark tunnel once again. I wake up looking forward to the day and not dreading it. What a nice difference.

My life is far from perfect and I'm far from enjoying every single minute of it, but I am so much more positive and so much more capable of handling what comes my way with good sense and patience, instead of drinking to avoid dealing with it.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Thank you for taking the time to write that down!

Murray
Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I really needed to read that today. I'm on day 15 and having a hard time keeping focus. Life seems to just get harder and harder the more I'm sober. I don't know if it's just all the problems now coming into focus or what, but it was really good to read about the benefits that are coming.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally relate to the anxiety thing! I had myself convinced that my anti-depressant wasn't working when, duh, it was ALL THE BOOZE! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bbr

Great post, RacerX. As I was reading your list, I was saying "yes" to each one for myself! Health and attitude have both greatly improved. I still get the occasional "craving", but like you, think through the results of that first drink. Like RacerX said, to those just getting started, hang in there.... it's worth it. (I'll be 8 months tomorrow)
Take Care.
BBR
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Completely agree with everything you posted. Except I lost 40 and much sexier.

Day 191 for me. I remember the day I quit clearly. I decided I was really done. I wanted that more than the drink and I was ok with never drinking again. I can't believe I was in such a hole.

CONGRATS RACERX!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for showing me what I can look forward to!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx for posting Racer and Amen to # 3 and #4. I also feel the same thing about better sleep and your thoughts on enjoyment. When I drank I was useless. Seriously, I was a waste of space in that I didn't want to go to anything or do anything and I let down so many of those around me. I would actually get depressed and angry if someone asked me to go to a concert or dinner, etc. Then I would beat myself up and drink all the more because I was this self-fulfilling prophecy.

Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful things that we find in sobriety.

You inspire me friend. Keep it going.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for showing me what I can look forward to!
What LaFemme said!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for taking the time and effort of sharing these magnificent feelings/facts/emotions with us. It is very inspiring.
Parsley. Hope you are feeling better today!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful, inspiring post, RacerX! I loved reading it and will carry the glow around with me today - thank you!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks RacerX, i appreciate you voicing your prospective.

your #s 3 & 4 really hit home for me too.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Well done, Racer. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe it is 6 months already !
Old 10-18-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
I was asked what I've noticed about myself that has changed after being sober for 6 months. I wanted to answer that under a new thread as I think it's a really good topic of discussion and I'm hoping that others will add their experiences to this list.

To the newcomers (of which I still consider myself to be!), please take heart. I know that the early days are tough but the rewards are so worth it! Those aren't empty words. I 'white knuckled' it for awhile before my head really cleared and I found that alcohol no longer had the stranglehold on my life that it once did. I know I just wrote this yesterday, but don't quit before the miracle happens...and it WILL happen (not my words, but so true).

OK, here are the changes I've noticed in myself after being sober for 6 months:

1. Sleep - I mentioned that lack of sleep was my #1 concern when I decided to get sober. It turned out in the big picture to be a total non-issue. It took about a week or so but I did start sleeping normally again. Probably 2 weeks max before I started getting a full 8 hours. Now, I sleep like a baby as soon as my head hits the pillow. I of course still have those odd nights where I simply don't sleep well - I believe that's called being "alive". Sometimes that's just going to happen. Point is that when we our bodies are tired enough, we'll sleep.

2. Cravings - Slim to none. Every now and then it hits me that a drink sure would feel good right now. However, that quickly fades away due to #3.

3. Thinking PAST the First Drink - I've heard that you can tell when an alcoholic is going to relapse because they romantisize/fantasize about the first drink. Sure, that first drink felt dang good. The problem for me is that it never stopped there. It was like a starter's pistol went off in my head and I had to have more, more and more. That involved a lot of guilt, shame, 'why did I do that again' feelings the next morning, anxiety, hiding things from my wife/family....not a pretty picture. When I think past the first drink to the misery that it causes, the cravings faded really fast. That's what saved my bacon on more than one occassion.

4. My Anxiety Has Decreased - I have dealt with anxiety for a long, long time. I used alcohol to deal with my anxiety when all it did was increase it. I wouldn't deal with problems - I would just drink to forget my problems only to find those same issues facing me when I woke up the next morning (only increased because I didn't deal with them). Now, I try my best to deal with issues as they come up and what I've found out is that my fear of a problem is always greater than the problem itself. SO much better just to deal with the issue and move on.

5. I'm Sexy! - Well, not really but I feel much better than I did! In short, my work-out routine has increased and I feel and (my wife tells me) I look better than ever. I've dropped 15 lbs since I stopped drinking and I wasn't overweight to begin with. My energy level has also increased because of it.

6. Patience - I find that my wife can see things in me a lot quicker than I can. Anyways, she pointed out to me that I'm much more patient with the kids and I just seem more at peace. That I am and that's because I'm more at peace with myself (easy to do when you don't spend 24 hours a day hating yourself for what you have done, hiding things, etc).

7. Enjoyment - Somewhere along my alcoholic career I lost my joy of things like going to see movies, dinner with friends, playing with the kids, running, even going on vacations. All I wanted to do was isolate and drink. Somewhere over the past 6 months I've gotten my joy back of simply living life. I hadn't realized how depressed I had become until I started feeling good again about simply living.

8. Overall Confidence - Not in myself but in the fact that I have a God that is watching over me, that cares about me and that never gave up on me even when I had given up on myself. I hesitate to put this one on the list because I know how touchy of a subject this can be. However, I wouldn't be honest with myself and therefore with everyone else if I didn't include my relationship with God as the biggest change for me. I feel close to Him again and knowing that He is in control and that I don't have to be...it gives me a lot of peace.

9. One Day At A Time - This was preached to me from Day 1 and I know live by it. I'm convinced that we were designed to live life one day at a time. I stay sober by taking it one day at a time (sometimes 10 minutes at a time!). No problem seems too big when I just look at what's right in front of me and what the next right thing to do is. I've also found out that this is indeed the best way to tackle things. I short, I don't let my brain spin out of control and if I find myself letting this happen, I call someone. Simple as that.

Man, I know I'm leaving out so much! I also remember having the shakes and actually had some business meetings where I was doing everything I could to hide my shaking hands. That went away over the first 7-10 days of being sober. My triglyceride levels were through the roof and now they are 100% normal.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone out there. I hope others will add to this list with their own experiences. Remember that I'm only at 6 months sober and I'm already experiencing a total life change. I can't wait to see what the future holds as long as I don't screw it up by drinking again.

RacerX
This is such an inspiring post as I hit my six month mark!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post! I'm at my 6 months too. Feels quite significant as some of the early emotional roller coaster has had chance to calm down as well as all the physical benefits that start to show pretty early.
My cravings these days are mostly in specific situations, out for a meal, somebody else ordering a beer, occasionally from nowhere............. But so far I can handle them and like you I know that just one will lead to 20+ and right back where I started, addicted, miserable, on a dark path.
I look younger (been told so!), feel fitter and am fitter through better workouts (body not fighting with poison). I sleep better, my house is cleaner and I'm definitely a better employee. My daughter is proud of me (priceless). I get bogged down sometimes with the time I've wasted in the past and the mistakes I've made, but I'm working on accepting some of this. Thanks to some VERY good counsel on this site I'm more aware of destructive habits and looking forward to learning a better and more aware way of dealing with life.......... There's work to be done in this quarter, but at least I'm sober whilst looking at it and not drunk and hiding............ onwards.
Thanks for the thread and really well done you (and me & everybody)
xx
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

RacerX what a fantastic post to read this morning, after picking up my 90 day chip last night. I see the seeds of these promises germinating in me and it's comforting to hear reassurances of the fruits that they will bear.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job to all you guys hitting 6 Months!!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great post, RacerX! Congrats on reaching six months!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats to everyone reaching thier 6 month milestone or 90 days milestone