"Crisis Center"

Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Crisis Center"

my 43 yr. old alcoholic son was admitted to a "crisis center" about 3 weeks ago. he told us he had a list of places to call to see if he could be admitted to for long-term treatment. first he told me that as long as he was diligent in searching for a long-term place he would be allowed to stay there. he told me ONE of the places interviewed him and said he could be accepted BUT...there were no beds available at that moment. he then told me he was "allowed" 10 business days to stay at this "crisis center" and then HAD TO LEAVE!!!!! he wanted to come to my home UNTIL a bed opened up at the long-term facility he was hoping to be accepted in - god only knows how long that might have taken. i can't deal with anymore drama and i told him he could NOT come home.

my question is this: has anyone ever had dealings with a "crisis center", and is it customary for them to MAKE you leave, even if you have no place to go, after a certain time. if they do, it makes no sense to me that they must wait for a bed at a rehab facility, but must give up their bed at a place that is safe.

just curious if this is how they operate. i have not heard from him since a week ago this past thursday. that's when i told him he could NOT come home. i have no clue if he's still there, on the street, in a shelter, drunk, sober, whatever.

just another day in the life of...........

thanks, lucy
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I do not know the answer to your question but just wanted to post and provide my support to you. I hope you are taking good care of yourself.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

The salvation army offers free long term detox/rehab worlwide.

I don't know what a "crisis center" is, but maybe its just detox, which is usually just a few days.

Even if places "won't take him", the social workers there have other referrals.

AA is free and won't turn him away, in the meantime.

Good for you for upholding your decision to not be his treatment center, you're not qualified anyways, mama!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucybooz View Post
my question is this: has anyone ever had dealings with a "crisis center", and is it customary for them to MAKE you leave, even if you have no place to go, after a certain time. if they do, it makes no sense to me that they must wait for a bed at a rehab facility, but must give up their bed at a place that is safe.
A crisis center will only hold you up to 48 hours. At that time they reassess to see if you are a danger or threat to yourself and others and then make the decision to discharge you to aftercare, outpatient, etc. In your son's case, no they would not keep him until a bed opens up at a rehab unless he was in some type of serious withdrawal when he entered crisis and even still then they would make a determination if he needs medical care first vs. rehab as his withdrawal may be putting him at medical riskl.

It sounds like your son is telling a story to me and is manipulating. Hope this answers your question.