Notices

32 days and counting

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

32 days and counting

Today makes my 32nd day sober. I'm very grateful to be able to say that. Things have been pretty calm in my life since I stopped drinking. I'm still having a hard time dealing with people at work who for some reason rub me the wrong way. I don't think they even realize they do. At least I hope not. It's nothing I can really put my finger on. Just irritating stupid stuff. I brush it off or ignore them or avoid them. Fortunately, I don't have to work with the same people everyday. So we get a break. I say "we" get a break because they could feel the same way about me for all I know. I was thinking my feeling this way might have something to do with quitting drinking. Either I am easily irritated or I just never noticed how annoying some people really are because I was under the influence OR maybe this was one of the reasons I drank the way I did. I must sound antisocial to some of you. I apologize for that. But, my point is, work can be a stressor and it was always one of my favorite excuses to drink. I am slowly learning to be more selective of what I allow to upset me. My sobriety depends on it. It is way too important to me to let anything silly ruin it for me. I have to keep the big picture in mind. Thanks and nice to talk to ya'll. SS.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

32 days is great! Shows people like us Day 6ers that it can be done!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations stayingstraught

D
Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome, tomorrow will be 14 days for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 32 days Staingstraight. Work can be a trigger for some, but what isn't a trigger when we want to drink? That's a question I had to and have to ask myself. I would drink because I was irritated, mad, happy, nervous, . . .

When it gets down to it I would drink for any reason whatsoever. Had to reprogram myself on this issue and make a list on what drinking WASN'T doing for me. It wasn't making the celebration happy. It wasn't taking my problems away. It wasn't easing my anxiety. It wasn't doing a darn thing for me.

Oh and people aggravated me to no end in the beginning. I found it all started within me and if I was down about myself then I was down about others. Mirror images. People reflect back what you emit, in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Horselover, That last line of your post was profound. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I start to feel that way at work. I get along with everyone there. But let's just say, I like some more than others. I guess it's just typical stuff, really. I'm sure that many feel the same, including my coworkers. We all get along pretty good in spite of this I have to say. Thanks for the insightful advice. SS