Notices

Out to dinner no alcohol

Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out to dinner no alcohol

Hi guys, Pleased to say things are turning out alright. Went out with my husband for dinner last night and had a lovely meal. It is the first time in 6 years or so that we have gone out for dinner together without either of us drinking. I had forgotten how to have dinner out without a bottle of wine. I feel proud of myself. I enjoyed it and didn't want or need a drink. It saved money too. I felt like I really achieved something. A small milestone. Came home and had a cup of tea and felt good about it. Thanks to everyone for your encouragment. I helps heaps.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the first step to not drinking. That's awesome. When you know better you do better, and that's great. Way to go.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job! Every sober day is a small milestone for us. Keep up the good work
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you JP

D
Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG...this post speaks to me! I am only 11 days sober and wonder how I will do this. To me a nice dinner out with my husband has ALWAYS included wine and I am very nervous about doing it for the first time. I am so afraid of missing it that I am afraid to even go at this point. I am so happy it worked out well for you!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3
Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good and sober time.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's wonderful Jaffa!

Glad you two had a nice time.

I remember years ago when I quit drinking (on another occasion of course) that I thought to myself "well, how can I go in there and eat wings without a beer like I have every time I go in?" Well, guess what? You can! All you have to do is order a non-alcoholic beverage - that simple.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jp,

So happy things worked out for you! One step at a time. Your doing great.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great. I did the same Thursday evening, went out with a friend for a steak dinner and instead of washing it down with 6 draft beers I had a Pepsi on ice. It tasted so much better and made me really feel strong. Oh, and the bill was 18$ less
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntwc View Post
OMG...this post speaks to me! I am only 11 days sober and wonder how I will do this. To me a nice dinner out with my husband has ALWAYS included wine and I am very nervous about doing it for the first time. I am so afraid of missing it that I am afraid to even go at this point. I am so happy it worked out well for you!
You won't miss it when you get the bill! Nothing like going out to a nice restaurant.....hell or even Applebees and having a bill under $60! Although I drank alot, I always hated ordering wine or drinks with dinner, normally it added at least $50-$100 to every tab.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great posts! I, too, am way early in my last recovery and I wanted to go out to dinner last night, but I didn't dare. One of my great pleasures was drinking wine (and repeat) with dinner. Maybe I'll try it soon, but don't think I'm there yet.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good on ya Jaff!

Its always hard doing the things you used to do with a drink in hand sober. But once you get past it you wonder what the big deal was in the first place.

Just got back from a week camping trip with booze EVERYWHERE around me all week. It was the first time in my life I went camping and stayed 100% sober the whole time.

It was great watching everyone crawl out of tents at 10:00 am so hungover I could feel it from 10 ft away. and me up at the break of dawn fishing for a few hours then at the beach with the kids for the day while everyone else was in recovery from the past night.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful!:ghug3