Notices

Day 11..first attempt - AA if not religious?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11..first attempt - AA if not religious?

After a lengthy drinking career that culminated with drinking 1 - 2 bottles of wine 5 nights a week I have decided to stop the madness. Today is Day 11 for me. I have 2 wonderful teens and a DH who deserve better. I have started going to group/indiv. therapy but am also curious about AA. I am NOT a church goer nor am I an atheist. I wonder if it would not be a good fit for me because of this...anyone have any thoughts?? I have read many of your posts and they give me so much hope that life will be better sober and present vs. drunk and dazed. I know I can't do this alone..it is very scary!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome huntwc! Congratulations on 11 days and welcome to SR!

I don't go to AA presently, but have in the past. Alot of people wonder about the God factor, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this. My two cents worth is that you should just try a meeting out and see what you think. Personally, my definition of God (or a Higher Power) is more like some kind of universal connection/energy/love than it is about the traditional ego-judgmental figure. So I have no problem saying the Lord's Prayer (which they say at the end of the meeting).

The steps also involve turning over your life/will/sobriety to a Higher Power, but that can be anything you choose. It could be the power of the group, AA itself, Love, Hope, or a door knob, if it works for you! The whole point of that is because we realize that we can't stop drinking on our own without some kind of support. Even if you don't know what you believe, or have a more spiritual definition of things, most people don't have a problem.

The meetings typically involved sharing, discussing a subject (like patience, relapse, or whatever), or a speaker who generally shares their experience getting sober. It's super casual and it's a great place to meet other sober folks.....

Hope that helps! Again, welcome!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not an AA person, but I am sure others will give you advice.

You might also want to consider Smart.

I use SR as my lifeline and have for years. I am always inspired when I come here.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you need something to believe in

believe in life

embrace existence- it isnt forever and you dont get faster skinnier or healthier as ya age imho - so chose life and live your better self

=)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recovered from chronic alcoholism as the result of a spiritual awakening from taking AA's 12 Steps. I came to AA as a staunch atheist who thought the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak minded people.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found SMART helpful. There are really great worksheets, and there is much more to it, but I never went much further, no particular reason for that.

I also go to AA. I'm not religious.

I really like the face to face AA meetings. Without fail, I always feel better after I go.

SR is great as well, of course
Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone above. I'm on Day 20 and have been going to AA regularly. Religion-wise, I'd put myself at somewhere around agnostic. I mean, I believe in horoscopes and doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's about it and yet I find AA really helpful. The God or higher power idea is just saying that there is something more powerful than you and that you cannot control everything. I know I couldn't do this alone so I'm glad I got past my initial reservations about AA.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, huntwc

D
Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been to a lot of meetings and was never 'put off' by religion (some people, yes, but not the group itself). I'd say go to a few meetings, each one can be quite different, and give it a good try before making up your mind. And the face to face support is very helpful.

Congrats on day eleven and welcome to SR!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am in AA and I never go to church unless somebody is getting married or buried. I know many people who are in the same boat, while others attend church regularly. Try it for yourself as others have suggested. Here is what to expect:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In AA you choose, develop and grow your own idea of a higher power. If you are successful, and there is no reason why you shouldn't be, you will have a deeply spiritual experience.

For some, religion helps point the way... if you are not religious, you will find your own way.

Don't not investigate AA because of any preconceived notions you may have, or been given, about the spiritual solution. You may be surprised, and... grateful!

Welcome

Mark
Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

HuntWC-- I agree with what you said in your post: "I know I can't do this alone." SR is a big help to me in this, as are a few people very close to me. I'm not in AA but I did try it (and I'm going to check out an agnostic-targeted group soon to see if it's more my speed -- perhaps there's one near you, too?).

I recommend you try AA. It might help, but if it doesn't, there's no harm in trying. Just remember it's fine to check it out several times before you make decisions about whether it's right for you. (And if it's not right for you, there are many other recovery paths, so don't fret!)
Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

I too struggle with the HP thing, but I just pray to whoever may be listening.

I'd LOVE to get a handle on it...but I just can't....right now, maybe one day I will

But I DO believe in KARMA.....if you do good things ,good things will come back to you, in my sober times this has proved to be true, in my drunken times unfortunatley it's true then as well.

Stay strong

Womble
Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, dgillz.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....
Well done on your sober time!

I'm pleased you are considering AA...it's an
awesome adventure....
I ope you will check out a few different meetings
you will see they each have a different ambeince.

Please keep posting with us....we understand,
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA is a spiritual program, not a religious one. Trust this alcoholic, if anything there involved religion I would not have hung around long enough to actually accumulate a small amount of sobriety.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not religious myself I just ignore the whole 'god' thing when I go to AA
I just think of god as (group of drunks) which puts a nice funny spin on
the whole thing.... I got the big book and read as much as I can from it,
there is a ton of things you can learn in AA just by talking to people
and so far it's working for me.

And on the plus side since I can't be around my druggie/drunk friends
anymore, I am making new friends in AA which is in itself rewarding.

I was skeptical about AA in the first time I tried to quit, but I am
getting a lot further with the help of people from AA, if you stay
open minded and give it a chance it can work for you too, just
don't let the really weird sober people get to you especially
the really jaded ones.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I have been attending AA for the last 5 1/2 years and have found most of the people kind, and all of the experience that I needed to continue this path of sobriety. When you go, just a suggestion, go to an open meeting ( find it in a directory or in the phone book ) and bring a friend or your spouse. You dont have to speak, just introduce yourself as a newcomer and listen. You will hear God mentioned, but no one will tell you what to believe. It's a personal choice for all of us. I hope you have a great experience and find the support to continue. God Bless
Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am an atheist and I love AA. My higher power isn't a god, but the power of the fellowship.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by huntwc View Post

...I am NOT a church goer nor am I an atheist. I wonder if it would not be a good fit for me because of this...anyone have any thoughts??
About half the people I know in AA fit this description. At most meetings that I have attended "church goers" don't talk about their church out of respect for Tradition #10:

"Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy."