Notices

Bad news about my Dad.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad news about my Dad.

First, let me say that my Dad is my hero. We have a great relationship and I love him more than words can express. He has been ill for awhile and I just got the call that his illness is progressing into the painful end stages.

I told my husband that I am going to look at the timing of my choice to get sober right now as a gift. It is gift, no matter how painful these real emotions are, to know that I am going to be clearheaded as I spend whatever amount of time I have left with him. I just pray I can continue to feel this way because this hurts like H*ll.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.

My father died a couple of months ago, and I managed to get sober for the last months of his life. It was a roller coaster of stress and sadness and moments of really connecting (when I least expected it!).

I felt like we were all at war, except, we had to watch him go into battle alone. It was so hard. But there were moments that I'll cherish forever, and they wouldn't have happened if I was drunk.

I don't fully realize it right now, but it was an amazing gift to be sober for the last months of his life.

I'm so glad for you to have that gift, and I'm thinking of your family.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....it's sad when our elders begin to leave us.

Most of mine died between 80 and 99
They simply wore out their tired old shells

Their spirits remain forever...
in our warm loving memories.

I find much comfort in Psalms 23.

Prayers coming your way....
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
part time member

My prayers are with you. My father also died a few months ago. I had 6 months of sobriety. He was worried that I wouldn't be able to take the stress of his operation but told him I was fine and would be fine. He was so happy that I had stopped. I am so glad that I didn't have to live thru these last months in a fog. Be glad that you are sober it truly is the easiest on you and your family. Take care.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Susan - but you're absolutely right - you're in the best place to handle anything, and to be there for your dad, if you stay sober

You're not alone either

D