Notices

Need weekend advice

Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need weekend advice

Ok Im just 2 weeks sober and I got a problem. I have to survive this weekend and have 3 options none of which are great.

1. I have one large group of friends going to an annual barbeque, usually with lots of food and drinking.

2. Another set going to float the river, which means tons of drinking.

3. And then there's the option of sitting at home all weekend which usually leads to drinking due to boredom or loneliness.

I could use some advice. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Hearnerules -

I'm sorry that these options aren't what you are hoping for.

Why don't you find a group of local AA folks around your age and propose to go create your own picnic BBQ or go to a sporting event with them?

When I feel lonely, I can always find a bunch of other alcoholics to hang out with.

And, we really have a good time - all without alcohol.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay home and find something to do that doesn't involve drinking. There's no need to be bored. Go hiking, listen to music, go to a movie, play with your pet, anything at all, or do something to help someone else.

I couldn't be around people who were drinking for a long time. It just didn't work for me.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im just worried if I go I'll cave to the pressure. And watching people get trashed isn't fun.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hearne,

I am pretty straight up when I have something social going on. I dont hide the fact that I am dry, and not drinking. I straight up tell em... I wouldnt encourage being dishonest about things but if they persist or your uncomfortable tell them you have something important going on afterwards and you cant drink...

I would opt for the barbeque, you can go eat some food and leave at your leisure. I found when I am sober its not much fun being around other drunk people. I would eat, be sociable as I have a pepsi, politely thank the host and be on my way.

Other people were never my triggers to drink so I dont have a lot more to offer.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearnerules View Post
Im just worried if I go I'll cave to the pressure. And watching people get trashed isn't fun.
I think it is actually a lot of fun. You watch them get all drunk and stupid, and it really is a great feeling when you realize that you aren't like that anymore. It's an eye opener, and (at least for me), that itself was almost an intervention.

Kristin
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hearnerules View Post
Good reasons to not go ...forget options 1 and 2

Option 3?
I totally agree with NewMe....that's what I did and do.

Well done on your sober time....
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As Anna suggested, find something different to do like a hike or something. It gets you out of the house so you won't be bored. Or, try resurrecting an old hobby that you don't associate with drinking (or pick up a new one).

If you ultimately decide to choose between the bbq or boat, the bbq is the better option. Go with an escape plan in your mind so that you can leave if the cravings start to become unmanageable. The boat is the worst since you have no where to go if your cravings get bad. I still haven't got the courage to go on a boat yet, for this reason.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd have to agree with the others, maybe just go it alone and find something a little different to do. Tomorrow will be day 10 for me and I already have planned on keeping to myself mostly this w-e, just doing this and that at and near my place. The BBQ would be the lesser of evils, to me anyways because you can bail if you don't feel cool w-it. Tubing down the river...oh damn...I used to get so trashed doing that, thats a drunkfest if there ever was one, and it all goes together so naturally.. I'd personally stay the bleep away from that one. Just my 2 cents though, good luck.