Bad News

Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Bad News

I have just heard today that my mom's kidney failure is the result of cancer. Multiple myeloma - cancer of the blood plasma. I guess they can treat some of the stuff that goes with it but it is not curable. I am pretty devestated - mom is not only mom but my best friend also. I am not leaving to go home until we find out the cancer stage and treatment plan.

I broke no contact after I found out. Talked with abf - it was a good conversation but really changes nothing. I find it bizarre that his stepfather and my mother both have cancer of the blood at the same time. Different kinds but still. All within a few weeks of each other. I know contact was maybe the wrong thing to do but I did it anyway. It is so darn hard to be strong when a bunch of stuff goes wonky all at once.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, Lola1024. Wishing you all strength during this difficult time.
Hugs
Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am sorry about your mother.
(((hugs))) and prayers to you.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How terrible. I'm so sorry.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Sorry to hear, sending up prayers for and your family. Keep us posted. Hugs
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep posting, lean on others when you need to, that is what we are here for!

God Bless!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I am so sorry Lola1024. My prayers are with you and your family right now.

As for this:
I know contact was maybe the wrong thing to do but I did it anyway. It is so darn hard to be strong when a bunch of stuff goes wonky all at once.
You did nothing wrong. This is likely the least of your worries right now so please do not beat yourself up about breaking No Contact. If you can get to an Al-Anon meeting, it would be good for you, especially now, to have that social support.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lola, I am so sorry. Take care of yourself...praying for you.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support. I feel a little better today - last night I was pretty much a wreck. I took the day off work to process this new information and get some rest. This week has been very stressful. In addition to all of the things with my mom I went thru a huge Osha inspection at my job. I am a warehouse manager and they left no stone unturned in my operation, interviewed my employees and checked documentation. I passed!

My mom seems ok today starting dialysis and tomorrow more tests. My brother is on his way there - he has been on a motorcycle trip with my SIL for a couple of weeks. He only lives about 6 hours from mom so that is better than my distance. My mom has a wonderful group of Alanon friends that are there to support her now. She has so much going on her room is like a party every day!
Two of her friends are chaplans at the hospital she is in too which is nice. She even has a friend that comes in and plays the flute for healing. My mom has made the rule with everyone that no one is allowed to be sad for more than couple of minutes in her space - she wants to stay as positive as possible and keep up on regular life. She feels like we can be sad with each other but her space will be filled with life no matter how sick she is. My mom is hard core that way - wouldnt suprise me if she gets a timer to have in there so people don't go over thier alloted "tear time". I can't wait to get home and be there - being so far away has been tough. I talk to her every couple of hours but it is not the same.

Alanon and the 12 steps will carry me through this I know. I am so grateful for my program now - one day at a time. My mom has spent the greater portion of her adult life in Alanon and working the steps. Besides giving me life she has given my the gift of "new life" through sharing program with me over the years. I am blessed to had my mom all this time.

Thank You all again for the support - it means a lot to me. Even though I have not been here long it feels like home.

and Abf? Pffffft - it is what it is. It is not a priority now. Not even close.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went thru a huge Osha inspection at my job. I am a warehouse manager and they left no stone unturned in my operation, interviewed my employees and checked documentation. I passed!
That's fantastic Lola! When we had one in the Army, there were plenty of sweaty brows around there, including ones that had been in combat! Tough stuff.

My mom is hard core that way - wouldnt suprise me if she gets a timer to have in there so people don't go over thier alloted "tear time".
Alloted tear time, hmmm, I like this idea. I will use it when I need it.
Your mom sounds like she is doing what she can to live her life.
God bless her.

Beth