Notices

Passion Back...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Passion Back...

Over the last few months I have literally had my music on non stop pretty much. As soon as I wake until I go to bed. I love my music and it's really great to have that real passion for my favourite bands.

Music was something that was so deeply linked to drink and drugs for me. I actually couldn't even bring myself to listen to music back when I was drinking and drugging as I would be too sad that I couldn't get wasted. I literally lost the ability to be able to really get into music without yearning to make the experience more by using drink and drugs.

I have finally reached the point where that doesn't really happpen anymore and all of the music which I truly loved I can listen to with no problems. The 'chemical' music that I got into through drugs like Ecstacy, BZP, speed and Cocaine then I have no desire to listen to anyway.

It's truly great to have the passion back again and to not feel like I'm somehow missing out. I am loving my guitar again and I'm back in love with the sound of my Strat singing through my Marshall 4*12. It's taken a long time to get here but like everything in my recovery I knew it would all take place as long as I didn't force it and left it to organically happen 'one day at a time'.

I guess this is what I was like when I was 14 again. Just content and happy with the music and not knowing or caring there was anything else. ie- drink and drugs.

It's all good and again another 'gift' of my recovery.

Grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I have loved music all my
life too. Would listen to it
often to win things all the
time.

Of course the more i drank
the more i could dial the
rotary phone back when
extremely fast and win.

Then i used the push
button.

My fingers would go
to town...lol

Of course i had my ear
phones glued to my
ears and made my family
aggrivated with me a many
a times.

After i got sober, i did
win a few more terrific
gifts like $1000.00 which
i gave to my spouse for a
dependable car. All part
of recovery.

As time went on, i let go
of the maddness of trying
to win and what a relief.

However, i remember how
music never sounded so
awesome when there was
no numbing feeling to
really hear it.

I listened to music when
pregnant with my babies
and both ended up playing
instruments in school....one
a French Horn and the other
Trombone.

My son became the drum major
his Senior Yr. of HS and went on
to major in music and finished in
the New England Conservatory
up north with the best of them.

Music is a gift I treasure and
appreciate still in recovery.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rock on Neo

D
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That's great, Neo! I also found myself getting re-interested in hobbies that I didn't have time for when I was drinking, now I don't have enough time to pursue them all. Sobriety rocks!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanx for sharing that Neo... I know exactly what you mean. I am a huge music fan and like you, there was a period of time that I was afraid of it...

I play and sing acoustic folk/blues and I've noticed a connection that I never had before and it is gratifying, to say the least, that I can say that.

Rock on... Nice combination there... strat and marshall !!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Neomarxist! I too share your passion for music and think it's the greatest gift to human life along with love. Also consider yourself double lucky to be playing it in the real.

Your post is an encouraging one for me to up and take lessons once and for all. Hopefully one day you can listen to the whole collection and still gain pleasure despite sorry memories. Some of my favorite records I used to play whilst getting smashed are currently tough to play but it's getting easier as time passes. Thanks for the share and stay strong
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a music teacher, and i have just gotten round to enjoying music again

when i moved home to UK from SE asia ... i got a nice guitar - an Epiphone Les Paul (for the time being but plan to get a gibson SG)

I got a new piano ....

I got plenty of students for the music business ....

and now I have my old love back ... music.

When i lived in the Philippines, I played music maybe 3 or 4 times. I was miserable lol
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool deal, we can't let something as priceless as the tunes be sacrificed. I'm the same way, I love rock especially the Crue and Van Halen but it's also a soundtrack to countless binges and it seems like a trigger to start it back up. Strat into a Marshall ehh?? Awesome tone there. I play too, and it's been months since I have plugged in because I was too busy drinking. I have a USA Jackson Soloist and play thru a Marshall also. Thanks for the cool post, like most of these here it really..uhh..strikes a chord
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is so awesome to hear. Music I have heard a million times because it was my "fave" sounds completely different today to me. It almost feels like I have been given the gift and joy of being able to really hear it for the first time now. Clarity can be kind of awesome, huh? Congrats on rediscovering your love.