Notices

Today is my first day to sober up .... Pointers?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is my first day to sober up .... Pointers?

Well I've decided after years of abuse to put down the bourbon . My craving hits daily after work, I generally drink about a pint of beam a day. I found this site and thought that this is place to get help. So as I humbly request support, how do I begin?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! You made the right choice! This is my second day of sobriety and these folks have helped me tremendously. I hope you physically feel better than I do cuz the withdrawals are killing me today. However, I know it will get better.

There's tons of information and support here.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks a bunch cat!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So how LNG have u been driinking cat and to what capacity were u consuming daily?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sleep a lot, drink loads of water, avoid cafaine, eat healty, start excersising, come to this forum A LOT,

That should help you through the detox. After that I advise NA, AA or some other form of therapy/reflection,

The real work starts after the detox.

Great you have come to the decision to put the liqour down.!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Just take care of yourself, get as much rest as possible and try to get some exercise. For me, changing my daily routine was very helpful.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're in the right place, if you feel like you want to drink call a friend or come on here and vent, it really helps. Once you're ready getting other face to face support would be a great thing to try if you feel able. I am in AA, NA and see an addiction counselour every week, it all helps massively- as does coming on here. I consider my sobriety as a 2nd job at the moment, as that's how much time and energy it takes me to stay clean and sober. That said, I used to spend way more time, energy and also money making me feel like total crap, so it's a small price to pay!

WELCOME! Keep posting
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
So how LNG have u been driinking cat and to what capacity were u consuming daily?
I've been drinking on and off for about the last 35 years but the last two years I was SOBER. It wasn't up until the last couple months that I started as a 'social drinker' and made the mistake of keeping 12 packs at home cuz it was cheaper than a couple beers at the bar next to work. I thought I could handle just having one or two but being the Alki I am, that was the wrong move.

Just the last couple weeks I've been consuming a 12 pack a day and it's really taking me downhill FAST! When I'm drinking like that (see how fast I can polish off a 12 pk) I'm 95% worthless and only feel like crap when I wake up. But I'm better after pounding about 3 after waking up just to take the shakes away.

Still having the w/d's today, I'm getting out of the house and hopefully the fresh air will make me feel better. I'm on a bicycle so that should be invigorating for my errands today. Thank goodness I was just able to force down a piece of peanut butter toast.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'd suggest seeing your doctor for help getting safely thru withdrawals. AFter that, take it one day at a time. Don't drink for today. Tomorrow do it again.

There are lots of programs and support methods to stay sober. Whatever way you go about it, put all your effort into it. AA is the most well known and widely available, but if it's not for you, there are other ones. Some people here use only this site to stay sober. I use a mix of AA meetings, weekly counseling, and this site and I'm seven months sober and it feels great! I hope we can be as much help to you as this site has been for me.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome..I'm new as well, just finished my first week of sobriety. I was knocking back around 20 beers a day, all day, for a long time. It's rough to say the least but as mentioned above you just have to grit your teeth and grind it out one day at a time, don't think "damn I cant take another day of this"...one day at a time and next thing you know a week or so has gone by and you feel way better and can start considering what your method of staying stopped will be. I highly recommend seeing your regular doctor, there are basic meds that can be prescribed to halp with the first week or so of detox. Just tell him/her you drink daily and are going to stop, take it from there. If you have been drinking daily for an extended period of time, which you probably have, detox can be miserable w-out some help from the doc. Just my two cents. This forum helps immensely, check in daily and read/post...it is a really handy tool. Best of luck to ya!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mr Serious

First off, if you were drinking a pint a day I recommend seeing a Dr - detox is fine for most people, but some of us can have trouble.

After that I recommend you get as much support as you can - posting here, looking into recovery groups (AA or some other alternative), or counselling...inpatient, or outpatient, rehab is also an option for many.

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here
Welcome!
D
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mr.Serious - glad you're here! I used this website alot in the first few days. The trick is not to think about never having a drink again. Just focus on getting through the day (or the hour). Coming here really helped me stay focused on getting sober and gave me the support I needed to get through withdrawals/cravings.

We all know where you're at, so hang in there and keep posting/reading. :ghug3
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

go here
enter your city or click the map
find a meeting near you
go there
walk into the meeting
when they ask if anyone's new raise your hand and say your first name.
they'll do a first step table just for you....and tell you what aa's all about.
after the meeting, tell the guy/gal who did the opening reading / "led" the meeting you want to get sober but need some help - then ask who he'd recommend you to talk to.
go talk to that person - they'll already know you're new (since you said so at the beginning)
tell them you want some help getting sober....
listen to him/her and do what they say.

There's a lot there but that's how it works the fastest and the best.

I tried multiple variations but, like everyone else who manages to stick.....and stay happy and sober.......eventually we all did the same.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link with info on de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Another about cravings...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Welcome to our recovery community...