Notices

A stupid thing I did on impulse before I quit.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A stupid thing I did on impulse before I quit.

You know one of the most stupid things I did just before I quit drinking and I am so ashamed I have not told anyone. My partner was stressed out with work, and said he was leaving me for the weekend after we had a verbal argument. We had been through a rough patch and I thought I would have a drink to calm myself down. Then I thought I would get a new hairstyle. I booked into the only salon that could fit me in with no notice. I asked them to strip the lovely dark brown colour from my long hair and lighten it up. It was a disaster, ruined, dry and unmanagable, turned to orange frizz. I came home so upset, and drank more wine, then cut a stupidly short ridiculous fringe. I had lovely dark glossy long straight hair now it is gastly, frizzy, orange looking, dry with a stupid stupid fringe. Obviously I wanted and needed a change , but not the hair. Everyone at work has asked me what the hell I have done to my hair. Maybe that haircut was needed for my wakeup call to stop drinking. At least it is my hair that is stripped of its life and vitality, not my soul and the life that lays ahead of me. That is the only good that I think can come out of this, and I am saying that everyday when I look in the mirror and cringe....at the frizz and the fringe........I am going to an experienced hairdresser tomorrow afternoon to see if they can resurrect some of the wreckage........I think destroying my hair made me see I had much bigger problems.............. Can anyone relate to this? Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awww.... so sorry to hear about that. But you know, hair grows back and you'll have it the way you want it again

I can remember some hideous haircuts/styles I have had done which had nothing to do with alcohol -- it happens to all of us.

Chalk it up to a bad decision and just be glad it's not a serious one!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes and I can relate to the "wake up call" feeling that you mentioned.

I realized that my alcohol problems were very serious after a fall one night which left me with a horrible black and purple eye. I could have killed myself and was very lucky to just end up with a black eye for two weeks. Wake up call indeed.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

on a positive note, the hairdresser will probably put a "filler" in your hair and you can get it back to the original color....then a weekly deep conditioner should save it from breaking. (try Ojon or Aveeno)

My darling daughter stripped her beautiful chesnut colored hair at the age of 16 in an attempt to become a blonde...same result....about 12 years ago I paid over $200. to fix her whim.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was born a brunette and
had my dark brown black
hair for yrs. I have colored
it and maintained it myself.

My 25 yr marriage ended
3 yrs ago and I returned
to my hometown.

I changed my color to red
after seeing a Paramore
video on tv. A beautiful
vibrant red color.

That is a pretty color but
needs extra time and care
to maintain it.

I dont mind hair changes
cause i know it will always
grow back if cut .

In the past 6 months i
decided to try a blonde
color.

After much research I
was prepared for what
ever it took to go thru
the change.

Same thing with recovery.

Whatever it takes. Go to
any lengths to achieve
sobriety.

Changing hair color has
to go thru steps. U cant
just change black to
white emmediately.

Patiance is important.
Taking it a day at a time
allowing the transition
to take place.

I went to Sally's and my
own hairdresser for guidance
and suggestions.

Same thing with AA...i
listened, abosorbed and
followed thru to get me
the results i needed.

Following the steps I
am getting closer to my
20 yr. sobriety mark with
one day at a time inching
closer.

I also have blonde hair
continueing on maintaining
it. Dark roots are showing
which gives it some highlights
and depth.

I had it cut short to trim
off the dead ends and keep
it healthy looking. Right
now its still growing and
waiting to decide if i will
add blonde color again.

I miss my dark hair yet
at my age it would be nice
to not have to color my hair
again.

Of course i have that
power of choice to do
what i wish.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like this experience has been something that you won't forget easily and as you said, it's pointing out the problems in your life.

Your hair will return to its normal color and condition in time, and I hope you continue to read and post about your recovery.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your hair problem, and hopefully it will just be a bad hair day that can be fixed at your next solon visit. But at least your wake up call was just a bad hair style choice. Some of the other stories I hear are so tragic and sad that I can't even imagine living after them.

For me, I fell on my tail bone while drunk one night. It was badly bruised but got better after a couple of days. 1 and a half month later, my leg started to hurt. I went to the doctor and ended up getting back surgery for a blown disk. To this day I do not know if that fall was what really did it (a disk can blow out for many reasons), but I think about that night all the time. My actual rock bottom was just being in a mental state of on being of the edge of a emotional break down. I felt like if I kept going from drinking to quiting to driniking again I was going to end up in the phych ward.

I feel much beter now (only on day nine though), and your hair will grow back. But I think its so eazy for us both to forget about those moments and go back to the drinking again. Thats what I try to focus on now days...not forgetting the bad things that come with drinking.

Dune
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did you know, it's because of the abuse of alcohol that causes the bleach to react that way with your hair turning it orange. -At least that's what I've heard shared at several AA meetings with other ladies in similar predicaments.

-Lith
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A few years ago, I used to have rather long hair...almost down to the middle of my back. The top was blonde and underneath was this real nice rich mahogony. It was so pretty. Due to alcohol, I ended up getting it cut up to my ears. The next day, I cried and cried. It's finally growing back...it's about 1/3 of the way down my back, or maybe a little less. But, it just makes me so mad when I think back to how long and pretty it was, and because I was drinking and making stupid decisions because I was unhappy, I ended up with almost nothing left.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had long hair for the past 5 years or so and recently cut it to celebrate sobriety and a "new me." I now have a bob (chin length, short in the back) and everyone loves it!

So change CAN be good and liberating -- sorry this wasn't the change you were after!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It seemed I was always doing my hair when I was drunk...seemed like a good idea at the time!! the last time I did it before I quit, mine turned orange as well...and brassy..it was horrible!! I had my gf who is a hairdresser fix it up for me, and continue to go to her.. my days of playing hairdresser have come to an end!!
Don't worry it can be fixed...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I've always liked the Sinead O'conor look on the right person. I shaved my own head on a binge before just for the heck of it; this is before Britney made it cool so I feel even cooler...jk. I also was more aerodynamic on my bike and save money on hair care products for awhile. I've come to realize that I need to cultivate and nurture my ability to laugh at myself or i really haves no business laughing at others.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well all I can say is time will help heal that, like your recovery. I went into a haircut place drunk and all messed up on mushrooms when i was a teenager...what a great idea!! I walked in with Van Halen hair, walked out looking like my next stop was boot camp. I was completely devastated. BTW, I know this isn't funny but your dramatic words/phrases made me laugh!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Guys thanks for the word of support. Off to the counsellor today at 8 am (not because of my hair) to talk about relationship probs, then to the hairdresser at 2pm fingers crossed. I can laugh at myself still and I told the girls at work to just call me Jaffa cause of the orange hair. That is the name of my late marmalade/giner cat. He had a beautiful orange stripey coat, with smart orange trosers. The girls at work don't really know what is wrong with me. They just think I am off because of the hair. People make all sorts of guesses about you. 9 days today off alcohol Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh Thanks Everyone