Notices

First 7 day week in 2 years

Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First 7 day week in 2 years

Well this will sound very generic on this board, but when I go to bed in a few hours I will have 7 full days of sobriety which is the longest I have been able to put together in almost 2 years. I feel dramatically better today compared to the first rugged 6 days and plan on going to some meetings in the next few days, I was simply too freaked out and jittery this past week to do so. I have posted on some of the other newcomers threads this week and that along with this forum in general have been a huge help. I hope the few words of mine that I did post this week were a help in some way. Thanks to all and good luck to all, especially my fellow newcomers. I will definately be around here for awhile, I am taking staying stopped very seriously this time!!! Thanks again for this great place to hang out and have a peaceful evening.

Neal
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 7 days! I am working towards that goal and have 6 to go. It's been a rough day for me but I'm surviving.

It's just awful how your body becomes so dependent on alcohol and kicking it is utterly painful inside and out. I can only feel better tomorrow than I do today.

Does anyone have any home remedies to rid of the shakes and the ill feeling from the stomach? I've been drinking a ton of ice tea and should probably switch to water, but i dunno.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Neal, that is awesome... you will just keep feeling better physically (and even once the dramatic improvements stop, your insides will keep healing). I'm on Day 12 and despite the emotional stuff that keeps coming up, have a quiet sense of relief that I've made the best choice for myself. Keep hanging in there!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Neal!

D
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tex, I'm glad to hear that you made it through the day. I'm on day 8 and it's been a good one so far. My sleep habits haven't gotten back to normal, but I'm not drinking any coffee (witch seems to help a lot), and even with only 3 hours of sleep last night, my energy level today was really high. Ive been taking a vitamin B6/B12 complex for the past 3 day because of what I read on another post, and I think it's helping out a lot.

Cat, I know the first 2-3 days are really rough. 7 days ago I just wanted to die because of the withdawls I was going through. I'm not sure about the tea, but cafine really made it hard to get to sleep in my previous detox. Dont forget to drink stuff like gatorade. Poweraid puts out their "zero" drink that doesn't have any suger in it, but has the electrolites your body needs right now. I've read that suger is something you should stay away from during detox.

I felt like heaving all the time my first day and a half. I know that feeling can really make time move slow. I think that getting food into yourself and keeping it down is really important, if you cant try some soup broths. Your body needs all those nutriants right now. I made the mistake durring my first detox of only drinking water and not eating. My hands and arms were cramping up like crazy. After 2 days I was in the emergency room, not even realizing that I was going through withdrawls, I just thought something was really wrong with me. I had all kinds of symptoms. They did some blood work on me and told me my potasium level was low, which is why I had all the cramping.

I don't think there really is anything you can do about the shakes or some of the othe withdrawl symptoms, you just have to grind through it, but it does go away, just give it another 2 days and see how you feel. But some others here may have some better info for you.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Dune
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober week!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Neal,

Be very proud of your sober week and I hope that you keep reading and posting.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dune! I'm gonna have to give up on the tea indeed. All I wish right now is to be able to sleep and wake up feeling normal, but for some reason, I don't see that happening.

I do recall the last detox the first couple of days totally sucked and just wanted puke or croak. But I know I've got to do this and again so glad that I found this forum.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stumbling Drunk

You're doing great, Neal! Way to go! Your posts have been a great help to me this week!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Neal! I remember how fantastic that felt a short time ago And it keeps getting better... I'm back at the longest I've been sober since I was 12, quite a nice feeling.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations I've only been trying to quit for a month or so. So far I've made it to 5 days a couple of times... This time... I'm up to day 8. I'm still feeling a bit rough, but compared to Tuesday to Thursday... it's a lot better.
So hang in there. You're worth the effort.