OT - Child Support Rant

Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Child Support Rant

Can I please rant and not feel petty for doing it?

Please? For, like, just a minute...

I went to court on May 3rd; I was granted sole custody of DD.

I went back to court on May 31st; despite the fact that they LOST my file and it cost me an extra 2.5 hrs of legal fees, I was granted an early divorce and child support.

It's been over 7 weeks and I haven't heard from the government office responsible for enforcing Child support orders. I called them and discovered that they have NO FILE in my name. No judgment was ever sent.

I called my lawyer. She's on vacation. So is her secretary.

I called the court house and discovered that in my file, there is no record of my judgment on custody or divorce. According to my file, I'm still married to XAH and I don't have custody. So, somewhere along the way, *someone* didn't put my judgments in my file so it never got sent off to that government office.

I left a message with records management. They supposedly have 24 hrs to return my call. Then we'll see if they can FIND my judgment, properly file it and THEN send it off to the government who will THEN take another 4 to 6 weeks to begin measures to deduct CS from XAH's salary. If they can't find it, I may have to take half a day off work and march myself down to the courthouse with *my* certified copy of the judgment so that THEY can start doing their job properly!!!!

ARRRRRGGG!!!

Ok. *deep breath*

/rant
Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I really, really hate incompetence and bureaucracy. I can understand your anger and frustration, but at least you have your own certified copy of the paperwork. You'll get it straightened out next week. If you work for lawyers, they should understand you needing to take a few hours off to deal with this. Hang in there...it's going to be okay.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

since they keep losing your paperwork and files, can you send them copy of your copy? include with it a letter saying how important it is that start receiving support $$ immediately...pushy and professional?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't think I would send them anything...I would hand-carry my own copy and make sure after they get their heads out of their butts, that when I left, I had it with me.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm growing

ugh...as if going through a divorce isn't stressful enough.................that stinks, I'm sorry
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lost all hope in the child support system when my ex husband (the first one), got so far behind he owes me almost 20,000. So when I went to seek help, they said well as long as he is paying something there is nothing we can do AND the second time, the lady say oh maybe we should lower his support so he can afford it!! Hello....anyone home...he has 4 children. I feel your pain on this one!!
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rant away. It sucks.

Maybe you could fax them a copy so you don't have to take off work?

Also, your daughter deserves child support from him, but given his proven sliminess and flakiness, maybe it's best to arrange your life so that you can live without it. Then when (if) you get it, it will be an extra?

L
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh it *is* extra. Because I live with my parents at the moment, I've been able to take most of my pay and throw it at all the debts XAH incurred in my name and pay them off completely. I'm now working on my student loans, my first RSP (yay!), savings and whatever household expenses I can help with. the CS is just out of principle. XAH has 4 children and has never had to pay for any of them.

But seeing as I put all those years of hard work into straightening him out, getting him a job, his ID, and a credit rating (which he proceeded to destroy), I think it's only fair that I be compensated for my years of hardship in Alkietraz.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
I think it's only fair that I be compensated for my years of hardship in Alkietraz.
:rotfxko
Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

haha, Alkietraz. How true.

How frustrating for you noday I hope it all gets sorted out soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel for you-hope someone figures out how to fix it soon. How frustrating.

My file seemed to be a black hole (thanks to my idiot attorney). First I faxed everything to the court commissioner-then when that did not work I called and talked to the judge's clerk and she told me to fax it to them. At least it saved me a trip to the courthouse.

The order is in there now. . .of course stbxah is in arrears and I doubt I will ever see it and having my new attorney attempt to get it would defeat the purpose because she would then get all the money hr owes me.

Sometimes it seems like quite the racket-you pay someone so you get child support and then have to pay them again when you don't get it.

Alkietraz?? That is priceless noday!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There is a service called Support Kids. You only pay if they get your money and it's not very much at all, especially if your ex is quite in arrears.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quote from nodaybut2day:
((( I think it's only fair that I be compensated for my years of hardship in Alkietraz.)))

I love it, love it. Please can I use it, as am salivating at thinking up an image to depict Alkietraz????

No for the rant bit.....RANT the courthouse down. Hell, they probably have sent some poor sousl to clink for a month or so, and they are still doing time because some incompetent, lazy and overpaid dipstick LOST THEIR FILES.

Take copies with you, and for God's sake handcuff the original to your arm or it may disappear into the ether.

Sounds like the twits in family court and payment chasing departments are the same all over the world, damned useless and pretty gormless.

And they are called support agencies......YIKES.
Are they cloned from the same brain downsized clone I wonder. Hmmmmmm.

God bless

Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jadmack25 View Post
I love it, love it. Please can I use it, as am salivating at thinking up an image to depict Alkietraz????
LOL, knock yourself out Jadmack. I was thinking that it might appeal to you (I amaze myself with my brilliance sometimes ...Heheheh).

Minor hiccup though:
I just found out that it was my lawyer who had the certified copy of the divorce judgment, while I have the certified copy of the custody judgment. Now I have to call the CS office to find out if they'll accept receiving a certified copy of the divorce judgment from me or if they HAVE to have it sent by the courthouse in which case I'll have to drive out of the city to my lawyer's office, grab their certified copy of the divorce judgment and go CRAM IT DOWN the courthouse clerk's throat to make sure he doesn't lose it again and sends it off properly!

Of course there's a good chance that the CS office will not only require that it be the courthouse that sends them the divorce judgment but that it also be a copy of the ORIGINAL judgment they need, in which case I just have to sit on my butt and WAIT for them to rifle through the judge's chambers to find the damn thing!

I feel like I'm living a portion of "The Twelve Tasks of Astérix" in the Madhouse of Bureaucracy...
Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jadmack - That cannot possibly be a photo of government workers because they appear to be actually WORKING.

I think this is more representative of a government worker:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can I go crazy now? Literally?!

Confirmed:
The CS office will NOT accept a copy of the divorce judgment from ME. They can only accept a copy of the original sent to them by the COURTHOUSE.

AND...
The courthouse clerk never called me.
So I called back and spoke to another clerk. Explained the *entire* drama to her only to find out that the first clerk had referred me to the WRONG department. OOHH I'm SORRY, I needed to talk to the Civil Court not the Superior Court!

And to top it all off, though I am holding in my hands one of the judgments and though I can easily get a hold of a copy of the divorce judgment, the Courthouse won't accept these documents from me because "even if you were to send them in, we don't know where you need to send them and who to send them to"

Now we've gone ahead and left ANOTHER message to another department and they have ANOTHER 24 hrs to return my call...

BEFORE I GO POSTAL!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hugs, Noday. It completely sucks that you have to deal with this. Wish I could help and offer words like "once they have the paperwork, it goes fast." .... But I filed through the State to get their help getting child support in October 2009; at the end of March I received a copy of a notice that they sent to STBXAH stating that starting May 2010, he'd have to start paying X dollars each month and I have yet to see a cent. Blehhhh.

Maybe the speed in which it's processed will be different if it's court ordered. Here's hoping.

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
I feel like I'm living a portion of "The Twelve Tasks of Astérix" in the Madhouse of Bureaucracy...
I remember that; it used to crack me up.

Rant away.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BEFORE I GO POSTAL!!!!!!!
Noday,
I stood up and shook my fist, swearing profusely in the general direction of Quebec!
(I think southeast of me)
What happened to living in the twenty first century?
Is there no electronic way to trace this damn document?
Oh, geez, I stand up again, with more intense swearing!

Beth

PS
my ex owes over $30,000 dollars, he lives in Louisiana now.
It is a federal crime now how far behind he is, but the Feds have other things to do.
dammit.
Now, I stand up and repeat my swearing and fist shaking towards Louisiana!