Notices

7 days sober, but when will I be normal again?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days sober, but when will I be normal again?

I've gone as long as 37 days sober in the past 6 months, but have relapsed many times. I attended aa about 3 months ago, and that really helped me stay sober, but there were other issues I had that I never really new that I was going to have to address. I'm not sure but it may be something like PAWS.

On my 7th day sober I'm feeling so much better physically. Past the anxiety, depression, shakes, sweats, and insomnia. But I still dont feel like my old self, before I became a chronic drinker. I just don't feel motivated like before. I feel like just being a couch potato, witch is so not me.

Normaly I am always active, and productive to the point of almost being a workaholic. I always have goals that I'm working twards, and just live for those moments that I achive them.

I am very greatful to be feeling well after going through withdrawls, but will and when am I going to have that drive again? If ever. This really concerns me, because it seems like a snowball efect in such a negitive way. I feel lazy and unmotivated, I don't do anything, then I look at myself and the fact that I didn't do anything productive for the day and feel like such a looser witch makes me feel like doing even less.

I hope this passes in time. If any of you could, please share with me about your similer exspirience, how long it last, and how you motivate yourself to be productive when you feel like doing just the oposite.

Thank you.
Dune
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand what you are speaking of, I am 6 days sober which is the longest in quite some time and I'm feeling the same. It's a big production just to do daily tasks. All I can offer is it has been my experience that it takes time, more than a week or with me more than a month to start feeling fully functional again. During the summer of '08 I stayed sober for the longest period I ever have and it was realistically around the 60 day mark that I started feeling/sleeping like my old self. I'm not helping much I guess, just hang in there, I'm in the same boat and the "well if this is soberiety I'll take drunk" mindset must be defeated with sobriety one day at a time so we can continue recovering.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Someone on this site gave the example of walking a long way into a forest as compared to getting sober. If you've walked five miles into the forest you can't get out of it in just a few steps. It takes time to get back to 'normal', but it will happen. Don't give up on your sobriety if it doesn't happen right away. Give it time. Exercise helps your body and brain get back to normal functioning too. I take my dogs for at least one long walk every day and it helps me feel better and sleep better. Helps my mood too.

Just stick with it, stay sober one day at a time, and before you know it you'll be feeling like your old self again - only better

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Least hit it dead on. It takes time, and remember time...

Things
I
Must
Earn

I was and still can be like that. Sometimes I have to do what is right in front of me and work my way up, and other days it seems like I have enough drive to move a mountain. When we quit putting alcohol and drugs in our systems, our brain freaks out because it's no longer getting the "help" it had in the past. There seems to be a period of "imbalance" where our brain is trying to figure out the right amounts of it's own "drugs" to produce and provide for balance. It does happen over time, but I'm told it can take up to a year for all things to start functioning the way they were meant to. My first year was filled with high high's, and really bad lows. Things worked themselves out and today, there is some "normality" (whatever that is) back in my life.

Take it a day at a time, and don't expect things to get better before they do. I'm told the best is yet to come.

Brian
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Things
I
Must
Earn
That's a good one. I'll have to remember that.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

So how do most of you get through the day when you don't feel like doing a thing that you really should get done? Even small task for myself, like today, I replaced a bathroom sink/cabinet (I'm in the process of fixing up my house). It only took one hour, but it felt like forever and I constantly wanted to stop and just watch tv instead.

Brian, you said about a year before things got back to normal. I've heard that from a couple of other people. Is that pretty much the norm? 1 year until your brain really gets ballanced out?

Dune.

I
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although I have always had times where I have procrastinated alot drunk and sober, I found that I used alcohol as a motivation to get things done in the past. "Ok, once I finish these sales reports I will allow my self to start drinking", or I would use tasks around the house to hide that I was drinking, "the wife will never suspect I'm loaded if I mow the lawn and paint the bedroom like she asked me". I also always paid the bills drunk so I wouldn't get depressed when I was sending the money out.

I know no one wants to switch from one drug to another, but caffeine and 5 hour energy drinks keep me alert when I start procrastinating, or exercise will normally motivate me to do more after I get back from jogging or walking the dog. I just try to pick small tasks to begin with, and they seem to snowball and get me moving forward to other tasks at hand. I still procrastinate, but I sort of look at it like my drinking problem, it's not going to go away until I do something about it.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

1 year until your brain really gets ballanced out?
I started feeling quite 'normal' and business as usual around six months. The time varies with the person. A healthy diet and exercise helps get you back in working order too. Lots of rest and taking good care of yourself will have you right as rain in no time. One day you'll wake up and realize that you feel really good again. Keep yourself positively occupied until that day comes and it'll seem like no time at all.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dune, I feel exactly the same on day 8, just posted about it. Then had a read and found out it is not unusual. I am a regular exerciser, have run a few marathons, etc, but yesterday I found I could not get out of bed after 8 days of not drinking. I have a lot of other stuff going on. I finally got up and wrote about the problems alcohol has been causing my partner and myself, I listened to science and health and current affairs downloads on my ipod as I shuffled round and did some housework...then forced myself to go for a walk. Half the day I did nothing which is so unlike me, but maybe you need that empty space for a while to find new things to do and new ways to cope. That is how I am trying to look at it. Take care
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys

I think it's pretty common for day 8...for me I felt 'normal' again after 90 days or so, but as you see it varies.

I just tried to keep busy, eat well, get as much rest as I could.

I'm not a fan of the caffeine energy drinks and such tho, cos it's easy to switch one buzz for another....

D
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope it's 90, I'm at 74 & haven't gotten my normal high energy levels back yet. I can totally relate dune. At this point I am going to try to get back into a routine, including working out. Hang in there though, it sure gets better
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your right AM, it does get better. I know there will be good days and bad ones. Today was a good one. I'm not sure what is causing it, but the two things I did differently this time is absolutely no cafine, even if I'm dragging feet all day, and two days ago I started taking a b6/b12 complex vitamin. Last night I only had 3 hours of sleep, but woke up feeling great and have had a lot of energy all day long.

Dune
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The more thoroughly I worked the steps, the faster I felt better.

The same still holds true today. Over time, what you're willing to live with as "normal" steadily increases. The better your life feels, the more you want it to feel that way for longer periods.