Notices

Confession to make

Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confession to make

I often come on here wondering why I am even here other than to help others, which is my main reason for coming here.

Trouble is I guess at times I feel I'm cured and that I will never drink again. I tell people I am a recovered aloholic. Am I really recovered? I've never done the steps and every once in awhile I crave, but I never cave. I have about 2 1/2 years sobriety. I once went for 7 years before picking up again and my alcoholism returned with a vengence once I did.

So I guess my confession is that I am feeling a little too safe. That just dawned on me thismorning while reading other posts. I need to remember that no matter how far along I am in my sobriety I need to take one day at a time.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you're alright as long as you continue to be aware of these feelings and don't let yourself get too complacent.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See Im just starting this but I am one of those people who always looks ahead and this is what scares me. Will I get complacent and fall right back to where I was. I guess the reality is we can suppress the disease but can't kill the disease.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And you helping others is of huge value. Ive read alot of your posts in threads and they are great. So thanks for your efforts!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Hernurules!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Suz, you know what, I think it's awesome that you've got that much time, and good for you. You should be really proud of that, and of course now I have to add.......

I used to think the steps were a bunch of hooey, but I do realize now that I wouldn't have been able to get through all that I've been through without being able to apply the steps in my life. I AM NOT a big time meeting, AA, Big Book thumper, I swear!! But working the steps.........they really helped me. It makes me look back on the way I tried to stay sober when I wasn't working, or hadn't at all worked the steps, and all I was doing was white knuckling it.

So I'm just giving a little bit of encouragement in maybe trying something different? I know you have a lot going on, but I wonder, if maybe you tried working the steps if things might be going differently for you?

So many people can't be wrong. It's the way I had to walk into actually working a program, and I'm glad I did.

Anyway, no matter what, you have my support 110% Girl!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I've not done the steps either. And I'm sober, I don't think it means I'm going to relapse.

However, if I thought my sobriety was the teeniest bit at risk, I would consider finding an AA meeting. I would do whatever it takes to maintain this sobriety.

I don't think I am cured. Don't think I ever will be. Truly think it is something that I will work on, and get better at, for the rest of my life. And, I'm okay with that.

Thanks for sharing this. I do think it helps. Especially the being sober for 7 years part...and it coming back with a vengence if you pick up. Now that you know exactly what will happen if you do get complacent, do you feel that information helps you? I don't know....

Best wishes. I know you have been dealing with a lot, lately. Thanks for the thread!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....a little off topic?

Warning....this is my opinion and not nessarily that of AA....

I drank alcoholically for 5 years....so I somehow got the
idea I had to double that before I was recovered.

Yes....I did finish my formal Steps...and was in contact with
God and AA daily. God removed my drinking obcession
when I was 3 years sober. ..just after I did Step 5.

However....I just never felt truly recovered untill I hit 10 years.

Cured is not in my vocabulary concerning my alcoholism.
I won't be drinking again either. I've recovered...

Why do I continue to use AA and SR?
It gives me endless opportunities to help others.
That's what I choose to do with my life.

Thanks Suz for starting this interesting thread
please keep sharing with us...you do help many.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I may not be an AA type of person yet I do have a daily addiction treatment program that keeps me healthy. As long as I stick with my treatments I feel confident that I'll maintain my sobriety.

Personally I don't like to compare my recovery efforts with what others are doing because there are a variety of ways to achieve and maintain sobriety. Just because I'm not doing AA treatments doesn't mean I haven't found effective treatments that address addiction. What I have found to be true in life is: different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on 2 1/2 years! And, thank you for sharing your experience with the reminder that alcohol bites back fast if we slip.

After one month, that is my biggest fear - getting too confident and thinking I've got it beat. I know I can never drink normally again.

Comment from a meeting last week: If you get hit by a train, its not the caboose that kills you.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Suz, I have the same sober time as you, once even relapsed for 7 years like you (after being sober for 3 yrs). I also feel exactly the same about never having done the steps or a more "formal" recovery process. I've only used SR, and the reminder of how terrifying my last days of drinking were. Yet we're only human, and those memories tend to fade with time.

I drive by a church near me where there's an AA meeting every week - and wonder if I should start attending, just for the extra support it might give? I worry too that I've not done enough to insure my sobriety. As Carol said, we can never assume we're cured. Reading other's struggles as they begin their journey serves as a reminder for me - and brings it all back - the horror I've been through. Giving back by reaching out to our newcomers has been so valuable to me, but I do agree we must always be vigilant.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great topic, Suz! I am a recovered alcoholic--that is, I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous uses the word 'recovered' several times.

I will however, always be an alcoholic, albeit one in recovery right now. That means I can never safely go back to drinking.

AA works well for me because it's hard to get complacent when working with a newcomer.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting a great thread. Lots of good thoughts and experiences.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a great thread Suz....thanks for getting it started. I want to add some more later...need some time to think about the great posts so far. Love, Jomey