1st step - realization

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st step - realization

So, I only just started my step work. Working on the 1st step today, that word "powerless" really hit me.

Wow, just admitting you are powerless..it can be empowering but it can also trigger some seriously deep hurt feelings. I was bawling my eyes out by the time I was done with working on this step.

For some reason, working on this step touched something in my heart that made me relate to my ex and to once again, take away the anger I had felt. When I truly started to embrace this notion of being powerless, it hit me that he's scared. He's scared to let go of his crutch and his escape. When I just got this insight into how much fear is behind this disease, it was kind of freeing. I feel like it helped me make serious progress in letting go.

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Powerless is something that I had avoided all my life! Coming to terms with it as a result of my XAGF is now something I thank God for, his lesson for me.

My focus is now on the lesson, knowing that God is not powerless and I can give what I cannot do to him.

It definitely puts the relationship into perspective and what we all have to work on both of us (myself and my XAGF). The key word for me is self-discipline, not dual discipline.

I beleive that coming to terms with the powerless trait, will actually help me in working with the people I deal with everyday. I'll probably get a hell of a lot more done at work!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first time I did a first step, all written out, was in rehab and I had to share it with my peers.

I was bawling my eyes out too when I got done!

It was definitely the beginning of having many burdens lifted from my life.

Be proud of yourself for the work you are doing, okay?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first step is extremely freeing to me. Once I really accepted there was nothing I could do to control alcoholism I was no longer a slave to it. I don't give up easily on things so step one was tough for me to get - I always want answers, solutions, plans and plots to overcome things. Alcoholism did not budge, listen to me or care about the pain I felt - my pain actually made it stronger. Nothing I can do will ever accomplish anything against alcoholism in another person no matter how much I love them.

I can control myself only. All that time and energy is better invested on something that has the potential to yield some actual results. Taking care of me is to be free.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's strange... we all feel powerless... it's written all over our posts. But to admit it and truly know it in our hearts... that's another thing altogether. Good for you!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

QUOTE from Tigger ((we all feel powerless... it's written all over our posts. But to admit it and truly know it in our hearts... that's another thing altogether. ))

Count me in on that. While doing that first step, my alanon group handed me a box of tissues, and hoo boy, I soon found out why.

God bless