Notices

3 weeks today

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks today

Hey all it is 3 weeks today. Although I am very Happy and content with my new found sobriety, I am also trying to figure out what to do with myself and all this time on my hands. I have decided to wait till 1 month till i start exercising, dieting, meetings etc. Going anywhere is really scary for me because of my brains reward system. I feel if I go to gym when i get done I'll be like oh i did this so i deserve a glass of wine..

Well I am so damn bored I've decided today I start my diet, meetings, gym everyday going to do 1 thing for myself. I can't hide forever..

Thanks to all of your support! I pray I am strong enough to start really living without alcohol!

Keep you Posted!

XO-Beth
Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The longer you go without alcohol, the stronger you will be and the more normal it will seem until one day you won't believe you once drank! Congrats on three weeks!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Alex!

I think it's good to not rush too much into things, but at the same time, you are listening to yourself and you know that you need to do something. Tht's great!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you. well done, and enjoy getting back into the gym. When I got home from the gym, I thought I deserved three glasses of wine, and I would drink them pretty quickly when I was pretty dehydrated........eat dinner and fall asleep early..Now when I get home I get straight into dinner. A full tummy is satisfying. (it has only been a week of alcohol for me).........When I look back I cannot believe I managed to train for and run a marathon 42.2 kms in under 4 hours when I was treating my body like this. I even think the day before my marathon I drank 3 glasses of wine........ What an idiot. Now I wont be cancelling out the good work I do..............I know what you mean about the extra time. I think I will be watching more good quality TV as I hardly ever watch TV
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey B

Congrats on three weeks

I know what you mean about not rushing into things, and we always recommend sobriety first but I don't think there's any reason to sit on your hands and be bored - we can start living as soon as we like, just so long as we remain cautious and focused... there's lots of things we can do that don't involve alcohol.

As for 'rewards', I think everyone has to face that. You know it's nonsense, so post about it here if and when you need to

D
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

One thing to look out for is overloading. Pay attention to your general stress level. Early on i would go from bored to stressed out in about 5 seconds. Congrats on the three weeks. PS for me the best thing I indulged in was exercise.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's fantastic, alexvt! I've discovered this sobriety business is definitely a journey (i.e. progress not perfection). Maybe we're learning something new everyday - we just can't "see" it until we look back. Keep hanging in there!!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
part time member

3 weeks is a looong time. I remember when I would tell people that I hadn't had a drink in 4 days. It was like "can you imagine that...4 days!" It was an accomplishment. You now have 21 days...That is fantastic and you need to be congratulated....good work!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Alex! Job well done and it keep it going

My recovery, especially those early weeks were extremely open minded. I think the most important thing at that point was getting through the day without drinking. I would maybe set up some great plans for the day but if I didn't feel up to it then I would say...nah I will just relax today. I can do that because I am sober.

I agree with the boredom that set in because there is just so much time on our hands when we aren't drinking anymore. This is a great opportunity to try new things or to pick up positive interests/hobbies we once had.

It's a whole new you my friend and proud of ya!!! Keep it going and continue to post.

All the best
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the three week mark!

I think you are already rewarding yourself with each and every sober day. Maybe you could plan to hit a meeting soon after you go to the gym, or anything else you have planned that may set off your reward craving.

Good luck with your next steps.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 3 weeks Alex !

Recognizing that "reward system" kind of thinking shows your awareness.

Good for you, ...keep it up; ODAAT.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone for your continued support, means the world to me, especially now when i am especially fragile.

XO-Beth