Notices

Smart

Old 07-10-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smart

Does anybody have any experience with the SMART recovery program?AA sounds like its helped a lot of people, but I'm not sure it is for me. I've heard good things about SMART, but I'm still not really sure what it is exactly. I know I just need a program that will help me out with my problem solving abilities (or lack there of) and I think this might help me but I'm not sure? Is it an online thing, or are there actual meetings? To me it doesn't really matter as long as its effective. Thanks Oh, and on day 6!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know we have members who use Smart and find it very helpful.

Just check out their website and you'll find the answers you need.

SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna, I will definitely check it out and see if it's for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
HFA

I went to my first SMART meeting last wed. I will be going this wed. I have never been to a AA meeting, so I cant compare and contrast. The meeting was small, and around a conf table. Each person just kinda talked about how their week went and any drinking/using thoughts or problems they had. Very lax and feelingy (i made up that word).
Like I said, I am going back next wed, and I am not a share your feelings kinda guy.

Day 13
Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
I went to my first SMART meeting last wed. I will be going this wed. I have never been to a AA meeting, so I cant compare and contrast. The meeting was small, and around a conf table. Each person just kinda talked about how their week went and any drinking/using thoughts or problems they had. Very lax and feelingy (i made up that word).
Like I said, I am going back next wed, and I am not a share your feelings kinda guy.

Day 13
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I would like this. I went to the website and they have all kinds of worksheets to go through if you are having a problem that can kind of guide you through it, which I like a LOT, because I've realized I really am not the best at solving my problems in a rational way. I would really like to go to a meeting, I'm the type that likes to share feelings,haha. Just kind of apprehensive...I've never actually gone to any sort of meeting. I'm very early on in my recovery. But in about a month I'm going to be forced to go to an outpatient treatment place (court ordered). So for now I'll probably just do the online thing and wait and see what happens with the treatment that they put me in.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am exploring SMART currently and it is to my liking.