Notices

Amy giving it another go

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Amy giving it another go

Hi All, I am in my early 30's and have had a bad relationship with alcohol since the age of 16/17 or so. Though it always bought me hardship,bad times and lost me friends, partners and self respect, I still continued to see it as the answer to all my problems, a comforter etc. I stopped for 3 months in Jan this year - felt brilliant and thought I would be able to drink sensibly. How wrong could I have been. So after 3 awful months of drinking, causing pain to others and myself - it is time to stop, again. I had my best friend over this eve - she was on the red wine, I stuck to cranberry juice and feel good. Also I am seeking professional help next week for the first time - this is really difficult to do on your own. so that's my little story, just wanted to share with you all. Wishing everyone all the best and much strength on their journeys, AL xx
Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought drinking was the answer to everything too but it just created more problems....the last 3 and half years sober have been hard sometimes but they've been the best ever for me

You'll find a lot of support here AmyLouise
Welcome!

D
Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you very much D and a huge well done for your 3.5 years sober, that is fantastic !
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amy,

You can learn to deal with the stuff of life, without using alcohol.

I'm glad you posted.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Nice to meet you, Amy! I did exactly the same thing you did and thought I could handle a drink after being sober for a while. I was eventually back where I started from, and then got even worse.

Congratulations on deciding to take your life back and on getting extra help. You can do it! Just remember to take it a day at a time and find some other ways to reward yourself.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Amy,
Welcome. I am pretty new here myself. It takes so much courage to seek therapy and get sober. Like Dr. Suess says: "Oh the places you'll go..."
Part of recovery is working on new ways to manage the problems that we previously used alcohol for. There are a lot of good ideas on SR. Looking forward to hearing more from you.