Notices

Time to reflect and start anew

Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to reflect and start anew

Back again. I think I do this periodically and one day I'll get it right. Reflecting upon the fact that after 3 months sober, in January I started the very occasional glass of wine (with guilt of course). Since then the gradual creep has occurred: one glass each two weeks, to 2 glasses each week, to 2-3 glasses each 4 days. So I'm here to reflect on the positives of what i have done during this 9 month venture in the hopes to recommit and start over:
*Improved mental health/mood
*Reduction in general anxiety, blushing
*Ability to sit and read lots of books
*Hitting the bucket list: took swimming lessons, bought a bike and am re-teaching myself a childhood skill
*Huge reduction in quarreling with spouse
*Huge increase in self-confidence
*Improved self-esteem
*Less bloated/fat feeling
*Nice not to "want/need" a substance - can finally leave work and come home without a huge debate on stopping to buy a bottle of wine.

Am sure there's more I've missed. So how do I revert back again?? Thanks for listening,
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to stop drinking.

We all do, but it's hard to let go of an addiction. After 3 months sober, and clearly feeling better, what made you decide to drink again? Maybe there are underlying issues that need to be dealt with?

I'm so glad that you're back and trying again!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back C

I think Anna's right when she says we have to work on underlying issues, and we have to find new ways to deal with them that don't involve drinking.

Ultimately I had to accept that I can live the life I want to lead, and be the person I want to be - or I can drink alcohol...it's one or the other for me.

D
Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Some of us don't 'get it' the first time, or the fiftieth time. But if we keep trying eventually we too can 'get it'. I'd suggest looking at why you drank and working on that/those issues. Something 'made' you drink, was it stress, old habit, escape, boredom??

I was drinking to medicate depression and anxiety, and once I managed to get some sober time under my belt I discovered (surprise!) that my anxiety and depression were greatly reduced. I had to stay sober to keep those good feelings, and the longer I stayed sober, the less I wanted to drink, until eventually I realized I didn't want to drink at all.

Keep at it until staying sober becomes a habit just like drinking was a habit. I wish you the best!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome back! Whatever the reason you started again, I'm glad you are coming back and starting over. It's easy to forget how bad it really was after you've had a few months sober. It's easy to start to think you've got it under control and having one or two occasionally won't be a big deal. Unfortunately, more often than not, we end up back pretty much where we started when we first wanted to stop drinking. There's no shame in it. It happens to a lot of us.