Notices

to late to restart?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

to late to restart?

so at 42 and years of screwing up is it to late to restart? Go back to college, start a new career, be the person I should have been years ago? Some days Im ready to start over and take on the world and some days it's like why even try....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

It's never too late.

Fear kept me drinking for a lot longer than I should have. I'm 33 and facing my 2nd dui and my court date is any day now.

I'm now sober over 6 months and as soon as I get a few things in order (license back, court stuff done) - I fully plan on either resuming a career I once had or starting a new one.

Ok, so you're 42. How do you want to look at your forties when you're in your 50's?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As long as you are breathing, it is not too late. Many people become successful later in life. The main thing is to not give up. For instance...If you are 48 and balk at spending 7years in school and being 55 by the time you're finally in the career you want, think about it like this....in 7 years, you'll be 55 anyway, so why not get there learning to be what you want?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the best, but hardest, lessons of recovery, is to live in the moment.

None of us know how much time we will have on this earth, but we all know that it's limited. Why not do what you dream of doing and live the life you choose to live.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never! It's never too late to start living and enjoying life. It's never to late for self improvement & peace of mind. It is easy to get caught up in the "why even try" mentality, but all that does is keep you down & out. You deserve so much more than that.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu.
We're all just a choice away.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Searching, I'm going to be 45 next week and I find myself having to start over with my career, house and everything. Non of this is due to my drinking, but I have taken the opportunity to change that as well. It's hard, but when I get down, I try to look at it as a new opportunity to do what I want vs what I have to do to pay bills. Hnag in there and follow your instincts.

Melissa
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, I didn't stop drinking until I was 43, so it's never too late to start a better life.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
As long as you are breathing, it is not too late. Many people become successful later in life. The main thing is to not give up. For instance...If you are 48 and balk at spending 7years in school and being 55 by the time you're finally in the career you want, think about it like this....in 7 years, you'll be 55 anyway, so why not get there learning to be what you want?

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think it's EVER too late to restart.

My mother is in her 50's and she is in college now and started a new career working for a local school distract. (and she LOVES it.)

Good luck in all you do!
~Sugar
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others - it's never too late.

I used to think I was living my last years out when I was drinking - now I want at least 40 more years to fit everything in

D
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

42 is nothing. You probably have 42 more in you. Carpe diem!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

While I do realize my dream of joining the pro tennis tour and challenging Nadal for global supremacy is not going to happen at 37, there are so many other things I have a real passion for. Go for what you want. You're still young... 40 is the new 30. Many many people don't figure out what they want vocationally until they are in their 40s and 50s. The dium is yours to carpe!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Never! There are gifts that await you in sobriety.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for all the responses they are great! so it seems most agree that it's not to late to go back to school and start something new. My big fear now is can I do it? I mean I don't think Im stupid or anything and actually I consider myself pretty smart but this PAWS stuff is kicking my ass and has set me back for years off and on. I can't concentrate, when people try to explain something to me thats difficult it's like my mind shuts down and I cant even hear them talking to me. My memory is for crap anymore and some days it feels like Im sitting on the bottem of a deep pool and life is just hazy. Im at 3 months sober now, does this every go away? Can I go back to school this fall and actually do it? So many doubts but guess thats par for the course of early sobriety. I want so bad to be able to accomplish this and be the husband and father I have always wanted to be...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

to much info for a reply I guess....
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't consider making changes in one's life a re-start more of a change in direction. Good for you! And as for school, you could always start with a light load of classes to get into the swing of things. I am just getting back into school myself after 25 years and it's quite a switch going from work culture to school culture. Take the time to set yourself up for success ... Good luck!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Neo said something in his last post about focusing on today but planting seeds for tomorrow. I like this concept. Don't get so overwhelmed by the future that you aren't planting those seeds. 42, frankly, is young. You have more that half of your working career left.

It is never too late.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

My big fear now is can I do it?
You won't know if you don't try.

I really did a number on my brain - concussion, strokes, the lot - and sometimes I need to approach things laterally, but I found *using* my brain helped bring it back more or less to what it should be.

I don't feel inferior to what I used to be brain wise.

The fuzziness will not last forever, Searching - few people would last the distance and stay sober if it did, right?

D
Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Heck No!

After I quit drinking at 52.....I did take college classes.
I changed careers 3 times ....and moved twice to different
geographical areas.

I finally became the woman I always wanted to be.
This can be true for you too.....

Wishing you all the best a sober life offers
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I just started over at 43 and I know lots of people my age doing the same...if you can dream of something you want to do than go for...Although I often flip back and forth I do have a great job doing what I love to do...when you feel like doing it than don't think and just do...the rest will follow
good luck and don't give up on yourself so easily