Notices

things to do on weekends?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

things to do on weekends?

Weekends id end up usually hanging out with my friends and drinking. But now that i dont wanna drink or be around people that are drinking i need to figure out what to do D: So, what do you guys do now that your sober for good, clean, sober fun? During the week is easy because im working and i dont wanna drink because i dont want to lose my job. weekends comes the problem...its my weekend off from work and i do wanna enjoy my days off....but...how? So, lets see. What do you guys do for fun?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
at peace

Hike, camp, fish, photography, build something, work on my car(no more than I would like to) movies, read, etc...lots of things to do besides boozn
Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Posted.

I've bookmarked this thread: Looking For Something To Do?

Personally, I'm going scuba diving Sunday
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check out your local community college for events and activities. Also, the museums and the bookstores for events that might interest you. There's many free things going on out there that are entertaining and fun.

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do everything I did while I was drinking. I just took away the booze. Found out it is much more enjoyable.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was in your situation.....
I joined an AA group

We did all sorts of things as well as attend meetings.
We had a blast...and we stayed sober together....
Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

rest
exercise
laundry
disc golf
watch movies
play video games
clean my house
clean my car
go to meetings
cook/ grill out
spend time with friends
see some live music
meditate
sleep in
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know at first the days seem so long, don't they?? That passes...soon you will be filling your life with all the good things that you enjoy...experiement with life and all that it has to offer!! you'll be amazed!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

6 months ago when I quit drinking, that was my biggest fear too. It had become such a big part of my life that I couldn't imagine not going to the bars multiple times a week to watch games, see bands, or just hang out while getting completely blasted every time. I did stay away from the bars for awhile which I do recommend. The clinking of glasses is very powerful and strangely seductive. But after awhile, I found I could still go out and catch games, see bands, and even go to happy hours and enjoy it all even more because there were no painful hangovers or regretting what I might have done. And I could function the next day! It's very liberating.

You may have to drop your hard drinking friends (I did) which isn't easy, but now I hang out with people you only have a a drink or two and aren't out to get drunk all the time. Those people really do exist and my wife is one of them. Most of all I'm also incredibly blessed that my best friend is also in recovery so it was a mutually beneficial thing. He didn't have to worry about me getting wrecked and getting us into trouble anymore and I always have someone who understood what I was going through.

Bottom line is that there are million things to do out there if you look for them. Learning to enjoy life sober can be an amazing transformation. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I golf, surf, play softball or over the line. I probably get my most enjoyment out of coaching youth sports. I have found that it is alot easier to be active. I hike with my dog and my wife about 5-6 miles a day. I did all of these things when I was drinking, but I was doing alot of them to prove that I wasn't feeling like crap the next day, or I wasn't drunk at the time.

I used to worked out and try to sweat the booze out that I had drank that AM so my wife wouldn't suspect anything when she got home from work. :O

Basically there are millions of things to do depending on what you're interested in. And by finding new things to do it will help take your mind off the bottle. Why not challenge yourself and train for a marathon, or find a mountain to climb.Or go out to a new restaurant once a week with the money you saved from not drinking and post a restaurant review on this website weekly...the possibilities are endless!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

I spend a LOT of time at the gym.
I learned to knit.
I re-learned to play instruments I had left behind prior to addiction.
I reconnected with friends that I'd lost along the way.
Hubby and I actually go on date nights, it's fabulous.
I watch a lot of movies.
I hike, and spend tons of time outdoors.
This weekend, I'm babysitting a friends little adorable baby and going to the park to push him around on the swings! Can't wait.