OT-I graduated Hoop Class last night

Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-I graduated Hoop Class last night

This is the first thing I have done for myself in close to 8 years. Once our kids got home stbxah would do nothing and I could not afford a class or a babysitter since he rarely worked. . .yet somehow we always had enough money for him to do his stuff???

Anyway--it was an 8 week class and I had a blast and learned a lot. Also, as a result I am going to teach a class to some families with kids with attachment disorder and PTSD (including the parents) because hooping is kind of like yoga--it calms your spirit. It puts you in the right place mentally. Maybe all my hooping has helped me to stop listening to the quacking!!

Anyway, I wanted to share because I am kinda proud of myself
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go! never heard of it I will have to read up!

peace
b
Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I'm thinking you should publish a youtube clip.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you too! Isn't it great to accomplish something for ourselves?! I say let's all dance in celebration!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I use to be fantastic at it when I was a kid ... then again I guess we all were! I didn't know it had psychological benefits, but as a kid with ADHD I guess I must have found it kinda calming or mesmerizing or something, because I did a LOT of it
How fantastic that you're going to teach families with special needs kids. Great outcome for all
Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how to post youtube links ... but here goes ..

YouTube - FireMinis.wmv

I guess you won't be using hoops with fire with kids with ADHD though
It just occurred to me that's probably why I like this clip, still having ADHD myself!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Good for You Wife2Kids!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congrats
Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I use to be fantastic at it when I was a kid ... then again I guess we all were!

No! I never got it, LOL !

CONGRATS!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wife2Kids View Post
This is the first thing I have done for myself in close to 8 years. Once our kids got home stbxah would do nothing and I could not afford a class or a babysitter since he rarely worked. . .yet somehow we always had enough money for him to do his stuff???

Anyway--it was an 8 week class and I had a blast and learned a lot. Also, as a result I am going to teach a class to some families with kids with attachment disorder and PTSD (including the parents) because hooping is kind of like yoga--it calms your spirit. It puts you in the right place mentally. Maybe all my hooping has helped me to stop listening to the quacking!!

Anyway, I wanted to share because I am kinda proud of myself
Congrats!

Love, love, love your signature line
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats !!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It did feel great.

Jazz I might have my son do a video--then I will look at it and see if I will put it on youtube

The way it came about was weird. I was just doing basic hula hooping for exercise at the gym and wanted my own hoop and could not find one anywhere so I googled my city and hooping and found the woman who taught the class. She sent me to someone to get my first hoop. Then the woman who taught the class had a class on making hoops so I went with my 9 year old son (I was proud of him because I was pretty sure it was going to be moms and a bunch of 5-8 year old girls--and it was). After we made our hoops he and I practiced a little and the woman who taught came over and told DS he had a knack for it and to keep it up--so we both started to do it.
DS would not do it at first (before the hoop making class)--until I showed him a guy who I want to teach me as soon as I get to that level--so I will show you him on you (Baxter--amazing hooper--started doing it because he suffered from depression. . .):

Off body hooping: YouTube - Baxter hoops to "Kenny the Jet" by Louque

A hoop jam with some truly amazing hoopers (and I do hoop blindfolded some times--it is so cool): YouTube - Hoop Down with Brecken, Baxter & Anah It will be years before I get anywhere near this good. But I am happy with where I am now and look forward to moving on (in MANY ways!)

Baxter came where we live a few months ago and I really wanted to go with my son but it was adults only--so I asked my hoop instructor if she would ask him if my son could come. 5 minutes later I get an email-YES. To him it is all about the meditation and what it does to your brain--not the tricks. The idea of helping someone was more important. We did not get to go because it was stbxah's weekend. BUT he is going to be back in the area next year and we ARE GOING!

So now you all know what it is and I am 51 and doing this! It felt good to step out to the person I used to be before I met stbxah.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Helenlee--I think I will hold off on the fire hooping for now! I'll do LED hooping first (I think Santa is going to bring me one of those for Christmas this year )

YouTube - Hooping Harmony's new Chakra LED Hoop

There are 2 fire hoop instructors in Chicago. . .so maybe someday. . .lol

It really does put my head back in the right place when I do this. Regardless of all the sh** stbxah tosses at me if I hoop for an hour it all just flows away.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is amazing! W2K!
I've always been fascinated with fire twirling & after reading your posts & thinking about my hula hooping days, I can see that the meditative, calming aspect of it (OK ... as well as the fire ) was a big draw card for me. I'd just never recognized that part of it. Thank you for sharing your experience ... it's helped me start thinking about getting serious about getting "centered" again - something I lost a long time ago. Your story is an inspiration for me.
I've been amazed at the range of hoops since I stated googling after you posted. In my day, they were round & plastic. The only choice you had was red, green or blue Some of the ones I've seen now are unbelievable. I might have caught the bug!
The person in the you tube clip I posted is a fairly groovy guy ... I hope you son likes it. He sounds like a great kid
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by Wife2Kids View Post
Jazz I might have my son do a video--then I will look at it and see if I will put it on youtube
Show me yours and I'll show you mine
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you!! I have seen Hoop Dancing that the Native American groups around here do, which is awesome, but never what you posted. Very cool. I'll have to show my kids. I wish they had some classes around here.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done. I can't imagine me trying it now.....I couldn't do it when I was slim and limber, so no chance for me. Keep it going.

God bless

Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jadmack if I can do this anybody can--believe me. LOVE that hooping squirrel. Where did you get that?!

Helenlee--it is a bug once you catch it

Thumper go to www.hooping.org and you might be able to find a group of hoopers. There are more of us out there than you know-lol.

Jazz-you're on.

OK, back to reality--but this has been fun and fun, I am learing, is essential to life.