Notices

Please please has anybody had this?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please please has anybody had this?

Hi All,

Am on day 13 still not feeling great; mainly just tired and muscles still abit sore. My main concern is my eyes; they are very dull, not yellow as such but dull with a few red veins. Its mainly the colour concerning me. I noticed them getting dull a few months before I stopped drinking and of course chose to ignore it and carry on.
I went to the docs a couple of months before I stooped drinking and had some bloods done. He was not concerned with the results; slightly raised MCV levels and low B12 - both drinking related. No sign of jaundice from bloods.
The question being - did anyone else notice their eyes being dull? And if so how long did it take for them to appear bright again? I thought after 2 weeks without a drink I would have noticed a difference :-(
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

When I binge drank, my eyes were always dull. I am not sure how long it takes to disappear. Healthy life helps your recovery fast.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there dear Almay,

Well done on your 13 days :-))

I just wanted to say that I definitely had the dull and blood shot eyes and really noticed it towards 'the end' of my drinking days and it was very worrying!! I thought it might have been the computers and airconditioning here in the office but I think it was a combination of the lot!

I have to say that today they are much brighter, less bloodshot and are getting back to normal - though I still have the computer and airconditioning ;-) Indeed my healthier diet (going to a nutritionist for a while now) is probably helping and the drop in cholesteral and I've also read that eye-drops can be good to clean your eyes and add a sparkle - I think that optrex are doing an eye spray these days though I can't find it here in Belgium yet.

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Hey Almay,
My eyes had the same problem, grey/yellow colour bloodshot. My dr did tell me that it was because of the years of boozing, but he also told me that because of the years of drinking indoors (lack of sunlight ) that my eyes were only waking up. I had to wear sunglasses for the first couple of months but it did clear. Youre doing the right thing keep doing it, soberity rocks, just give time, time.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I had very bloodshot eyes when I did a cleanse thing (off processed foods and alcohol for 3 weeks). The dull might also be your perception (depression).

Hang in there. 13 days is awesome.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on your 13 days from me too! as everyone else here has said, recovery varies....and I would think what you are eating and taking regarding supplements might be involved. try to eat fresh non-processed foods and take a good B-complex supplement, Omega and a good easily digestible multi.

sometimes it's hard to see daily improvements in the mirror....take a pic. with your phone or webcam once a week and compare...i'm sure you can see a difference between now and 13 days prior.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Almay - you're doing a great job. For me, it took quite a while for things to return to normal after I quit. I had the eye thing, but also my hair was dull & falling out, fingernails wouldn't grow, I was very pale and bloated - won't bore you with the whole list. Everything corrected itself after I stopped the vitamin-robbing drinking. I don't have that pasty, bloated, and sad look I had just before I quit, & my eyes are normal again. I'm sure it will all work out in time.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think day 13 is still a little too soon to expect too much if you drank regularly for a long time - it took me at least a couple of months to look as good as I felt....

but if you're worried almay - please go back to your Dr.
D
Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My eyes were dull, bloodshot and lifeless too. When I looked in the mirror I thought I looked really, really tired. Like Almath I stare at a p.c screen all day in work (10 hr days in my case) and we have the air conditioning too, which is so dehydrating. I do think I have noticed an improvement this week. I think I said this on one of my posts somewhere. Your doing well Almay, you really can do this. Remember, it's just for today!