Notices

Day six and sweating it.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Day six and sweating it.

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on for two days. I missed last nights meeting which I really didn't want to do. Truth be told, it's just been TOO hot here. It's been in the fortys all week and there is no sign of it stopping until the weekend. We are in our first heatwave and MAN would a drink be nice.

It's been tough, really tough. I work right beside the LCBO (liquor store) and everyone and their dog seems to be going in there lately. While I have my break on a bench outside I fight with myself in my head. "Just one drink won't kill you" - "No, you can't, you've come too far" - "C'mon, it's the weather, everyone is doing it"...

I've been able to resist not having a drink, but it's SO hard. It's like I spend the entire day just fighting with myself. By the time the evening hits, I'm exhausted from basically going crazy.

I suppose I am just ranting, but a few words of encouragement wouldn't hurt. I've been drinking water like it's nobody's business..but it just doesn't feel like a nice frosty beer. Damn, I hate this hot weather. It truly is the devil.

I'm working today again, and just hope that I have the strength to say no to the bottle again. Just sitting here I am literally sweating. This is HORRIBLE. Ahhhhh ... Will the weather seriously crack me? I hope not. Damn. It'd be sooo much easier if it were winter.

Off to work shortly.. Wish me luck..

Best wishes, and be safe..

xo Dianna
Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i will pray for you....

try drinking some hot tea instead of ice cold water (not too hot tough you'll burn ur tongue )..in country's like turkey and marocco they do that cause it's more efficient against the heat...

I know this battles all too well, altough my DOC is smoking weed. Try to focus on doing stuff, instead of NOT doing stuff (drinking). Sleep a lot, take multivitamines, fruit, healthy stuff, work out. In a few days from now you'll feel much better.

congrats on ur day 6!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This heat wave is a killer! I think they said its been 3 years since we've had heat like this.

Instead of a beer, how about something like a small ice cap from T-Ho's? Stick with the small, since you want to keep your sugar intake fairly low. Or have a slushy.

Or even better, after work head to the closest pool or beach and go for a swim. It'll cool you off, and you'll get some exercise too. And when you go to bed tonight, you'll sleep like a rock.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JJB

I agree the heat is awful -we had it like that last week!
I'm always trying to think of cool refreshing non alcoholic drinks i can treat myself to instead of turning to that vile stuff which pretends it will refresh us but will in fact end up killing us..
My favourite ones at the moment are home made lemonade or (as that takes time) mixing a cranberry drink with 7 up free, all with lots of ice.

mmm! lemonade!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JJB

Or how about some iced tea?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dinanna

Hate to tell you but it is winter on this side of the world and hot weather isn't the only time you feel like a drink :rotfxko

Truth is, there will always be an "excuse" to drink. You just need to change the tape that is playing in your head. "I will not drink today" is a good one to start with

All those people you see going in to buy alcohol are not necessarily happy with their lives. Imagine them waking up with horrible hangovers in the morning...and it wont be you!!

Hang in there buddy, you can do this!!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, the heat is tough!

Water works really well, though, and why not try to sit somewhere else on your break? I had to avoid the wine/beer aisle in the supermarket for a long time when I began to recover, because it just stressed me too much. Do whatever you need to do to stay sober.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I know that feeling Dinamic....well. It's a different kind of thirst. Coke, tea, water, nothing else quenches that thirst.

All I can say is the knowledge of that "thirst" scared the crap outta me. That's what got me into AA and helped me take it seriously. I can tell you this.....if you're willing to do the work.........that thirst goes away - it won't haunt you anymore.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Dianna

Day 6 here as well, the high is slowly fading and the drinking voice is growing stronger, very much agree with all that has been said above, one more day, just one more day and tomorrow is a new day. It will get better...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All those people you see going in to buy alcohol are not necessarily happy with their lives. Imagine them waking up with horrible hangovers in the morning...and it wont be you!!
THis is so true. All I can suggest is making a list of why you quit drinking, all the horrible things that did or can happen over drinking and how bad you feel during/after drinking.

It can be a rough road at first but it does get easier if you just hang on and don't give up/give in. I used to come here any time I had the urge to drink and read my old posts, hungover or in w/d and feeling awful, and that helped curb the desire to drink. It also helped me a lot to support and encourage newcomers. By helping them stay sober I helped myself too.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

YES YOU CAN DO IT Dianna..the early days, weeks, months r a roller coaster ride of emotions n adjustments but it does get better. It took me many attempts n each time it got harder. Get supportive help where you can whether it is joining AA or a self-help group cause its so good to be able to share your problems. The longest journey begins with a single footstep n youve taken it.....Peter
Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

But really, it wouldn't be easier in winter. Detox is not fun anywhere/anytime.

You just gotta get through those early days. Coming to SR is an awesome plan.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been indulging on other reward type items. Slushees , ice cream , diet soda , fruit.

I know the sugar isn't the best idea , but it really takes the edge off in a moment of craving. Ive been snacking on nuts a lot also trying to not get too hungry.

Beer on a hot day really just dehydrates us .

Maybe try some drinks that promote relaxation. Here in the states I drink nuero or relax drank . Both have velerian root / melatonin . Makes me very calm , feels like a substitute for drinking.'

stay strong!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there - we all have certain things that trigger us and it helps to identify them so we can be extra vigilant during those times.

While a nice frosty beer sounds good, it's not about the weather or the frosted mug, or even the taste. Not for us, anyway. It's about the obsession to have just one more, and the problem is, it never ends!! After that "one more" is another "one more" and another......

Maybe you need to take a book with you to read while sitting on the bench, or go for a short walk. And as far as the heat goes, you can always come see me in southern Mississippi, lol (95 and 100% humidity today)!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in the tropics Dianna - there's way better things to drink than beer in the heat - even a simple glass of iced water does the trick better than anything else.

Don't fall into the inner dialogue thing.
There is no dialogue. You are now a non drinker

D
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Being as I am just responding now, I'll venture a guess that everyone is aware I cracked. I didn't even make it home to read the replies. I hit up that beer store like five minutes after work and REGRETTED it something awful. Anyhow, day three yet AGAIN, and now I've all these tips to help me through the hot weather. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right!?

Thanks all for the wonderful advise!
Best wishes and good luck!
Dianna
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Boy do I remember that annoying voice Diana, but mine would talk to me during thunderstorms, heat waves, cold, snowy days. I tell you it didn't matter the weather because the thing wouldn't shut up! Each time you face that voice head on and tell it to stifle itself it gets weaker and weaker. At some point you won't even here its whisper. There may be times in life it comes back, but you will smile and pull out your tool belt with the tools you've picked up along the way. Life does get better and the struggle does lessen.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrats on picking yourself up and starting again...so many times I could not.

avoid that bench, avoid obsessing about the people going into the store...distract yourself with something you like to do sober.

(i'm a big fan of seltzer,a splash of cranberry juice and a splash of lemon)
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'd say it's hot...down here it's been 99 every day this week!! I get those thoughts all day, I'm approaching my 10th day. I just try to think of the shame/guilt and that a beer would turn into at the very minimum 15 more, and tomorrow I'd have a hangover that would require 10 or so more to fix. Then Sunday...etc etc etc...My fave is like JJB said, some Sprite or 7-up w-juice..tastes sooo much better than booze.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm totally ripping this off from someone, somewhere, when I say that what doesn't kill you still sucks sometimes.