Notices

HALT Alert

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HALT Alert

Argh I have been doing so well 5 weeks completely clean really trying to manage my mood swings but had a total tantrum last night. My boyfriend is a good guy but hey noone is perfect and he was really riling me up last night. only thing is I take the reaction to it way out of the ball park. I wish I didn't over react. Why couldn't I just say "I don't appreciate you being like that" and go to bed rather than screaming at him and making the punishment way worse than the crime.

I'm still far better than when I was drinking though- even at my worst sober is better than when I was drunk. Just want to not get so frustrated and have more patience. I need to meditate on this today. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi there ST yeah I know what you mean - I get really narky when I'm in withdrawal too-sometimes it even makes me want to go back to drinking because when im drinking (I falsely believe) I don't get worked up about things.
In reality my hb and kids say they prefer my sober narks to me being drunk so we must be worse than we think/remember when we're drunk.
I think we just have to ride it thru and try to count on those around us understanding.
By the way, I love your bunny avatar, are you a bunny fan too?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah he is my bunny, his name is Ewok I'm just trying so hard I have already put my bf through enough he already has doubts about us and I'm just making it worse. Need to be kinder on myself and everyone else too. Thanks for your support xxxx
Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

SereniTee,

Try to remember that you are 'new' at dealing with emotional situations, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Also, it was really helpful to me to know that my emotions were not me. They didn't control me, and I could feel the emotion and then let it go.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I echo Anna's sentiments.

I found that in the beginning my emotions and moods were all over the map. I even said to myself "if I don't like the mood I am in right now, all I have to do is wait 5 minutes and it will change". And it did. Over time my moods became more stable.

Remember, its natural to have all the myriad of emotions. Sometimes you will be angry, sometimes you will be elated, and sometimes you will just be somewhere in the middle. Let yourself feel what you're feeling. Just learn different ways of expressing it and dealing with it. If you are really angry at something, walk away from the situation for just a few minutes, calm down, then discuss it with a more rational frame of mind.

Hard to learn? Absolutely. Hard to do? Absolutely. But it can be done. You're just in a period of retraining yourself on how to handle emotions. This will pass and you will be much stronger for it.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

emotional stability comes with time, and work. have you tried meditation?