Notices

Feeling weird in the morning

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling weird in the morning

So I've been sober for 9 days and counting now thanks to this site, but I have one strange issue.

About every other day when I wake up in the morning for a few minutes my body still has that hungover feeling...like my head is foggy and I feel like I woke up from a night of heavy drinking. I have also noticed that I'm much more tired in the morning than when I was drinking...doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone provide some insight to this as it doesn't make much sense right now.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to your dr, Steve?

Hopefully you will get your energy back soon.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Steve - I can only share my experience, but I was extremely tired for the first couple weeks and still have some lethargy even after a couple months. (Coffee helps me, though!) I also had some mental fog which showed up several days into sobriety. There were a few days when I was even clumsy and forgetful.

Of course, a doctor is a good idea if it's really troublesome. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by steve042783 View Post
So I've been sober for 9 days and counting now thanks to this site, but I have one strange issue.

About every other day when I wake up in the morning for a few minutes my body still has that hungover feeling...like my head is foggy and I feel like I woke up from a night of heavy drinking. I have also noticed that I'm much more tired in the morning than when I was drinking...doesn't make sense to me.
Can anyone provide some insight to this as it doesn't make much sense right now.
Day 9 for me too. I felt hung over this am and yesterday. This morning I swore I could taste the stale beer from yesterday. Brain is foggy also. Is this what they call a dry drunk?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

This time around for me, the first week was still pretty awful, all around. It wasn't until the end of week two that I started to feel like me again. You're already half-way through week two - I say, keep on keeping on, and hopefully some of the lethargy and brain fog will clear a little more.

Make sure you're staying hydrated and getting plenty of electrolytes - don't be drinking just a ton of water. We're supposed to be drinking about 80 oz of water every day. You're still in very, very early recovery, so it might be smart to bump that number up to about 100 oz. Just, like I said, make sure that isn't all just pure water. Get some emergen-C or gatorade in there too. Oh, and watery foods are key right now! Tomatoes, grapes, watermelon, pineapple - things like that.

I hope you feel better soon!
WW
Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes.....checking with your doctor is a wise idea.
It will put your mind at ease....but please be
honest about your drinking history/early sobriety.

Well done on your sober time....